Am I a uke snob?

haolejohn

Reaction score
so tonight the SEUkers had a pretty awesome java jam. Had 20 or so ukers showed up and even had a semi-local luthier show up as well. It was a good night of ukeing and the opportunity to try many different ukes. I look forward to java jams b/c of the diversity of the ukes that show up. Got to play three new ukes that i have never played before. Two were made by local luthiers. One from Sewanee, Tn (2 1/2 hour drive) and one from the metro atl (gourd ukes) These two ukes sounded great. Especially the Sewanee, Tn guys. I will find the name and post some info later. I just don't remember what his ukes name was. But on to the snobbery question.

I also got to play one of the les paul ukes. Not going to lie. It sounded like complete crap. It was so quiet and tinky sounded that I wanted to throw it down but I knew that it wouldn't break b/c the thing is so sturdy, it would be my choice to kill zombies with. The top was the thickest top i have ever seen and it's weight was so much, I found my self looking for a strap. I know there are some here that like that piece of junk but for $100 I expect a lot more. Am I a uke snob? Am I going against the norm for a uke player (everything is supposed to be OK and happy)? Please enlighten me.

I think once you've played all the big K brands like you have, the others all pale in comparison.

Snob? No. You just like what you like. :)

Nope. You're not a snob. You call 'em as you see 'em.

I would be worse to say it sounded 'OK', if you really hated it.

My guess people that like it, like it for it's looks/image not because it sounds great.

You know what appeals to you, John. Nothing wrong with that. Of course...the Les Paul appeals to others and there's nothing wrong with that, either!

I wouldn't expect it to be the best sounding acoustic instrument - aren't they really gearing it toward people who want to plug it in?

It's as important to know what you like as what youd don't like. They go together. I don't consider myself a uke snob. I play a $25 uke regularly as well as an $1300 uke regularly. Love em both.

That said, I wouldn't consider buying one of those les paul ukes either. but nor would i consider buying a lanikai, kala etc factory uke for playing. I have tried a massive range of ukes over the last 4 years and now have narrowed down my real 'loves' to only 3 or 4 makers. I know what i like and would opt for them everytime. You buy what you like the sound of and what you can afford. Simple as that.

I do love listening to people playing ukes of any and every kind, doesn't mean I'd buy em all for myself though.

I was interested in getting one until tonight. It sounded so bad, I wouldn't even care how it sounded plugged in. I just read a lot of likes about it here on UU so I picked up with high expectations. I mean i was bouncey waiting to try it out.
Of course it had factory strings and the action was crazy high but the sound was :( and it could have been just that one uke. Maybe my expectations were too high (It is all Tudorp's fault:))

Well, I will stick up for it. As another poster said, it was really geared towards being plugged in - not being played acoustically. It had a nice clean tone, as most heavy overbuilt electrically geared ukes do. It reminded me a lot of the Cordoba electric/acoustic I owned for a few weeks - built like a tank and great sounding when plugged in, but dead otherwise. The guy who brought it is coming to us from the guitar world, and for him it represented a good bridge from guitar to uke. I think he said he paid $100 for it new, so naturally it doesn't sound like a Koaloha. I told him it could probably benefit from a set of Aquilas to replace the strings of unknown parentage on it. Could he have gotten a better acoustic uke for the price - probably, but for his purposes it was just fine, and he is rightfully very proud of it. It was also very pretty in a guitar sort of way.

I'm guessing that if you picked up a really good electric guitar and played it unplugged, you would think it sounded like crap too, but plug it in and it will sing if you know how to play it. I bet a lot of classic electric guitar songs would sound like crap played on an unplugged Koaloha - at least to a metal head.

Last edited:
Well, I will stick up for it. As another poster said, it was really geared towards being plugged in - not being played acoustically. It had a nice clean tone, as most heavy overbuilt electrically geared ukes do. It reminded me a lot of the Cordoba electric/acoustic I owned for a few weeks - built like a tank and great sounding when plugged in, but dead otherwise. The guy who brought it is coming to us from the guitar world, and for him it represented a good bridge from guitar to uke. I think he said he paid $100 for it new, so naturally it doesn't sound like a Koaloha. Could he have gotten a better acoustic uke for the price - probably, but for his purposes it was just fine, and he is rightfully very proud of it.

i know he was proud of it and he got it b/c his favorite guitar was a les paul. I like les pauls and it did remind me of a LP b/c of the weight but as a uke it didn't impress me at all. Maybe I should try and plug it in before I cast it aside, but I know I would rather spend the little extra dough and get a eleuke.

It just reminded me too much of a novelty uke.

Well, I will stick up for it. As another poster said, it was really geared towards being plugged in - not being played acoustically. It had a nice clean tone, as most heavy overbuilt electrically geared ukes do. It reminded me a lot of the Cordoba electric/acoustic I owned for a few weeks - built like a tank and great sounding when plugged in, but dead otherwise. The guy who brought it is coming to us from the guitar world, and for him it represented a good bridge from guitar to uke. I think he said he paid $100 for it new, so naturally it doesn't sound like a Koaloha. I told him it could probably benefit from a set of Aquilas to replace the strings of unknown parentage on it. Could he have gotten a better acoustic uke for the price - probably, but for his purposes it was just fine, and he is rightfully very proud of it. It was also very pretty in a guitar sort of way.

I'm guessing that if you picked up a really good electric guitar and played it unplugged, you would think it sounded like crap too, but plug it in and it will sing if you know how to play it. I bet a lot of classic electric guitar songs would sound like crap played on an unplugged Koaloha - at least to a metal head.

I also recommended a string change and a saddle adjustment. I know Tudorp did a lot of work onhis and became very pleased with it.

He also told me he was looking for a cheap amp to go with it. OK. Larry, you make me feel bad for being unuker like. I need to be more open to the lesser ukes out there.

Well, I will stick up for it. As another poster said, it was really geared towards being plugged in - not being played acoustically. It had a nice clean tone, as most heavy overbuilt electrically geared ukes do. It reminded me a lot of the Cordoba electric/acoustic I owned for a few weeks - built like a tank and great sounding when plugged in, but dead otherwise. The guy who brought it is coming to us from the guitar world, and for him it represented a good bridge from guitar to uke. I think he said he paid $100 for it new, so naturally it doesn't sound like a Koaloha. Could he have gotten a better acoustic uke for the price - probably, but for his purposes it was just fine, and he is rightfully very proud of it.

perhaps but an electric/acoustic instrument should sound good either plugged or unplugged. I could understand this argument if it was a solid body uke (which it should be).

Ukesnob? No...everything is personal preference...I've read on this post that some people would never buy a Koaloha because they don't like the headstock.

I would not call myself a uke snob, but I have learned to appreciate a fine instrument.
I believe we get spoiled, there is a reason some ukes are $100 and some are $2500.
I just played an aNueNue long neck soprano that is awesome and it is only $250, I love it and it is sweet, but it is not replacing my DaSilva.

I admit it. I'm a snob. Once you start playing high quality professional level instruments it can sometimes be really hard to play those of lesser quality. Not because there's something wrong with them, it's more of that there's not something right if that makes any sense. Of course price has little to do with being a high quality or professional level instrument. I have a Danelectro that cost me around $300 that stands up to pro level use.

Crap is crap and a snob is a snob

We need more uke snobs around. Crap ukes are what gave the uke a bad name and forced it into hiding. Are you a snob? yep! It doesn't have to be a K-brand to be great. Look at Mainland and Ohana.... Kala... the list goes on.

The Makala Dolphin is a pretty nice uke, for little money. We have four in my house and they sit proudly next to my K-Brand and Compass Rose.

My Name is David and I am a uke snob.... and I have no intensions of recovering.

. . . I know there are some here that like that piece of junk but for $100 I expect a lot more. Am I a uke snob?

If you are expecting a lot for $100, I wouldn't call you a snob - I'd call you something else.

One definition of a snob would be someone who says, "Here is my Custom `Ukulele that I paid ($2K+) for, and since I've had it (built specifically for me), its very difficult for me to pickup anyone else's instrument because this one is made how I wanted, plays like I want it to, and sounds like I want it to." Of course, being an `Ukulele player, yes, you should at least admit to when other instruments sound and play well (like you were used to before you got your custom), and if you don't have anything nice to say, just say, "I have a preference . . . ". Then at least you're a nice, politically correct snob, instead of venturing into what some may take as an offense (probably rightfully so).

We need more snobs.

In some ways I'm actually glad I haven't played a uke worth 3 grand and over, in fact the most expensive ive played was around 500 bucks.

The reason is, I know I'd want one, and wouldn't be happy with anything less, it happened to me with guitars, and I would rather just concentrate on learning to play really well on an acceptable 300 dollar uke for the time being anyway, then if I do get really really good i can then reward myself with a top quality instrument, its just a personal thing, but like I said, I got so caught up in the "must have a perfect guitar" saga for 20 years my playing suffered as I blamed my crappy instrument and not my lack of commitment to practice seriously as the reason I was not very good.

So keep those bloody K ukes away from me, I can't afford one, financialy or emotionaly.

Top Bottom