new uke (and new player) day!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters

Reaction score
Had errands to do today with my wife. There's a local music shop with a tree of $35 Dolphins, and we decided to pick one up to take on a car trip later this week (our first anniversary!) We arrived to find four Dolphins on the tree---there were seven or eight hanging up just a couple weeks ago. I tuned up all four. Two sounded pretty bad. A red Dolphin sounded loud and proud, but a sunburst blue Dolphin had a nice, mellow tone that appealed more to both my wife and me. So we bought the ukulele. Woohoo!

Now, I've been trying to get my wife interested in playing ukulele for months, but she hadn't developed much interest. Back in the car, she immediately began playing both chords she knows, F and C, on the Dolphin. Before we made it to our next stop, she said, "This uke is mine. You have enough." That made my day.

For the rest of the afternoon she gently strummed various combinations of F, C, Am, and G7 (yep, she asked me how to play a couple more chords) as we drove around town. She came up with some pretty cool strum patterns, too! She grew up dancing and played drums for a while, so rhythm comes naturally for her. Looks like there'll be still more ukulele playing around our house from now on. Truly a great new ukulele day for our family. Woohoo!!

Awesome, now you just need to go back and get another dolphin for yourself, haha

What shop was that? I've never seen dolphins in Portland...in fact, I've seen precious few decent ukes here period! Artichoke is the only place I've ever seen anything from Hawaii...

Also...

I got the rest of the family dolphins for Christmas a year and a half ago, hoping it would "take". My daughter picks hers up from time to time...the other two (wife and son) not so much.

Yay for you both! Thanks for sharing your story.
Don

What shop was that? I've never seen dolphins in Portland...in fact, I've seen precious few decent ukes here period! Artichoke is the only place I've ever seen anything from Hawaii...

Apple Music (downtown on 1st between Pine and Oak), lately they've had a few gorgeous vintage ukuleles in stock as well. A few Martins and a Kumalae yesterday---too expensive for me, but fun to play!

Besides Artichoke, the Portland shop to check out regularly is Pioneer Music (SE Stark and 60th), they stock Ohana and Collings, and they've usually got a few nice vintage ukes as well---a gorgeous-sounding Martin style 2 last time I stopped by. They also get vintage Hawaiian stuff. Fun.

Aloha TOUTM,
Wow nice story...Happy 1st Anniversery to thb both of you...Nice gift for the wifey....it will pay off dividednds later..and alot of memories...Happy Strummings..

Had errands to do today with my wife. There's a local music shop with a tree of $35 Dolphins, and we decided to pick one up to take on a car trip later this week (our first anniversary!) We arrived to find four Dolphins on the tree---there were seven or eight hanging up just a couple weeks ago. I tuned up all four. Two sounded pretty bad. A red Dolphin sounded loud and proud, but a sunburst blue Dolphin had a nice, mellow tone that appealed more to both my wife and me. So we bought the ukulele. Woohoo!

Now, I've been trying to get my wife interested in playing ukulele for months, but she hadn't developed much interest. Back in the car, she immediately began playing both chords she knows, F and C, on the Dolphin. Before we made it to our next stop, she said, "This uke is mine. You have enough." That made my day.

For the rest of the afternoon she gently strummed various combinations of F, C, Am, and G7 (yep, she asked me how to play a couple more chords) as we drove around town. She came up with some pretty cool strum patterns, too! She grew up dancing and played drums for a while, so rhythm comes naturally for her. Looks like there'll be still more ukulele playing around our house from now on. Truly a great new ukulele day for our family. Woohoo!!

This is awesome. I know how you feel. I felt the same way when the wife decided to steal one of my ukes for the 1st time. I guess she got tired of sitting there hearing and seeing the fun me my daughter and other kids have, that she finally broke down and stole one of mine.. lol.. Shes doing pretty good with it now, and it is fun to have her join us finally.. ;) Good work wearing her down.. hahhah

Top Bottom