PDA

View Full Version : how severe can the UAS be??

patico
06-15-2011, 07:32 AM
I need to do a confession right now to everybody.
i used to have GAS..... moderate to severe illness, so i have a nice collection of guitars, amplis n pedals.
i thought that buying a small ukulele would solve my $$$$ problems n cure my GAS.

but now, i can see my chronic desease is mutating from GAS to UAS

so if anyone here suffers from UAS.... how severe can this pathology be??

:confused:

ukola
06-15-2011, 07:34 AM
It's bad. Quit while your ahead.

RichM
06-15-2011, 07:36 AM
After many years of playing guitar, banjo, and mandolin, I bought my first uke one year ago. In fact, almost one year ago to the day.

Now look at my sig below if you want to see how bad this can hit you...

iDavid
06-15-2011, 07:40 AM
uas is much worse than gas. Ukes come in several sizes and tunings.... the "needs" are endless

ItsMrPitchy
06-15-2011, 07:46 AM
The best way to cure it is to find your perfect uke. But as we all now there is now such thing as perfection.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
06-15-2011, 07:49 AM
It hits everyone.

I just bought a Backpacker Ukulele (Soprano), NOT Martin, to take with me when I return home,
read Hawaii, for the Summer.

It's one of those, "I may not need it, really, but I don't have one and...."

For GAS take a couple of Alka-Seltzer. For UAS - no known cure and no groups attempting to
even find any kind of cure.

Keep uke'in'... responsibly,

mm stan
06-15-2011, 08:01 AM
It hits everyone.

I just bought a Backpacker Ukulele (Soprano), NOT Martin, to take with me when I return home,
read Hawaii, for the Summer.

It's one of those, "I may not need it, really, but I don't have one and...."

For GAS take a couple of Alka-Seltzer. For UAS - no known cure and no groups attempting to
even find any kind of cure.

Keep uke'in'... responsibly,

Aloha Uncle Rod,
What Brand of Backpacker uke did you get?? I got a Captain ukulele backpacker and I just love it....
BTW....For me, UAS is quite worse....by far

WhenDogsSing
06-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Ukuleles generally don't cost nearly as much as guitars. So you're really saving yourself money over the long haul by having UAS in lieu of GAS. Hee! Hee! Hee!

allanr
06-15-2011, 08:03 AM
UAS is an extremely serious affliction. My name is Allan, and I am afflicted with UAS.

Fortunately there plenty of "support" available at UU.

Dan Uke
06-15-2011, 08:06 AM
After many years of playing guitar, banjo, and mandolin, I bought my first uke one year ago. In fact, almost one year ago to the day.

I see you have your Kanile'a and Collings for sale...are you trying to cure UAS or found some more to add to your collection? lol

zac987
06-15-2011, 08:08 AM
All it takes is a little self control, man.

Laouik
06-15-2011, 08:11 AM

There's one missing... you need to update your signature...

RichM
06-15-2011, 08:24 AM
I see you have your Kanile'a and Collings for sale...are you trying to cure UAS or found some more to add to your collection? lol

Yup, two more on the way!

RichM
06-15-2011, 08:25 AM
There's one missing... you need to update your signature...

It's not here yet... Friday, he says :)

molokinirum
06-15-2011, 08:29 AM
There is no known cure, only simple remedies that will slow the UAS down a bit. (buy another uke)!!

ukulelecowboy
06-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Photos of the Ukulele Cowboy Society's Ukulele and Rehearsal Room. (Photos are several months old. Some of these have left and there are new additions not shown)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/ADDmodeler/Ukes/HarmonyWall.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/ADDmodeler/Ukes/WallOfUkulele.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/ADDmodeler/Ukes/BanjoUkes.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/ADDmodeler/Ukes/WallOfUkulele2.jpg

patico
06-15-2011, 08:34 AM
wow
thanks god i'm not alone....

WhenDogsSing
06-15-2011, 09:13 AM
I'm going to show my wife the pictures of Ukulelecowboy's menagerie...That'll shut her up about my UAS for a while...!!! Hee! Hee! Hee!

ukulefty
06-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Photos of the Ukulele Cowboy Society's Ukulele and Rehearsal Room. (Photos are several months old. Some of these have left and there are new additions not shown)

Wow that's more instruments than most of the music shops I've visited would carry!

PS: I like your little resonator uke! :)

I personally don't have UAS, but it's early days and a slippery slope...

perep
06-15-2011, 09:24 AM
UAS is really bad- looking for the cure, 17 ukes will NOT satisfy the thirst, running out of money. Have to sneak them in the house now. Have 2 more being made from some koa boards-yikes

markophonic
06-15-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm experiencing it right now first hand...I'm a long sufferer of GAS, I have about 35 guitars and a bunch of mandolins, lap steels, violins etc.

I never had any interest in Ukuleles. I was one of those people that looked at them as a sort of novelty.

I bought my first ukulele at the end of March...I just bought my eighth 2 days ago.

So not only do I suffer from GAS, I also suffer from UAS and I don't see any end to it any time soon. ;)

Dan Uke
06-15-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm experiencing it right now first hand...I'm a long sufferer of GAS, I have about 35 guitars and a bunch of mandolins, lap steels, violins etc.

I never had any interest in Ukuleles. I was one of those people that looked at them as a sort of novelty.

I bought my first ukulele at the end of March...I just bought my eighth 2 days ago.

So not only do I suffer from GAS, I also suffer from UAS and I don't see any end to it any time soon. ;)

I think I found a winner!! A new uke every other week!! hehehe

PhilUSAFRet
06-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Yeah, switching from GAS to UAS a little like switching from Scotch to Bourbon! LOL

ukulelecowboy
06-15-2011, 09:44 AM

I checked out your collection in your UU photo album. Great stuff. I love the Gretsch. What's the MOTS lap steel hanging on the right side of the first photo? Is that an Oahu?

Tudorp
06-15-2011, 10:28 AM
I hope it doesnt turn into a more severe mental disorder like mine did "GUAS"

ItsAMeCasey
06-15-2011, 10:34 AM
It's pretty bad.. I just bought a Kanile'a around 3 months ago.. now I'm in the market for a Kamaka! And in between I bought a Kala just for the heck of it!

Doc_J
06-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I remember when I thought 3 ukes were too many.

Thank God I got over that , 3 were too few. :)

Hippie Dribble
06-15-2011, 02:58 PM
don't wanna put a big downer on the general tone of proceedings, but UAS can be a serious issue for some.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?45704-Paupers-and-Kings-A-Confession&highlight=paupers+kings%3A+confession

Ukuleleblues
06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
I heard of a guy that sold his kidney to buy more ukes....you be the judge

Hippie Dribble
06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
On the other hand, UAS isn't hard to justify either, if you want to go there.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?37520-UAS-a-theory-of-justification&highlight=UAS%3A+theory+justification

veejayblox
06-15-2011, 04:32 PM
uas is dangerous and is very serious, can strike out of nowhere, knows no limits and is impossible to control. it must have been that Kiwaya KTS-4 or the flea that i held in my hands, or could just as easily been the fluke, the lanikai pineapple or the mahalo that calls my name.

deadpool
06-15-2011, 05:50 PM
I think UAS is the worst affliction ever. Far worse than GAS and MAS-I have been afflicted by both. I decided to start playing the ukulele about a week ago. I have a concert on the way -should arrive Friday. Then I go and buy a soprano (pineapple) today through the Marketplace - pick up on Monday. All this and I have never played a note on the uke. UAS - the worst thing ever. LOL!

Lori
06-15-2011, 05:58 PM
I have 16, and really, they don't take up much room. I get so much fun from them, and it is cheaper than having a lot of stress related medical bills. It is a good thing, really. My uke hobby stimulates the economy with ukes, cases, strings, humidifiers, tuners, books, CDs, DVDs and uke festivals/ workshops with related travel expenses. And... I got a whole group of new friends at the ukulele groups and here on UU. Really nice people!!
–Lori

markophonic
06-16-2011, 06:45 AM
I checked out your collection in your UU photo album. Great stuff. I love the Gretsch. What's the MOTS lap steel hanging on the right side of the first photo? Is that an Oahu?

Mike,

It's a Valco. It's in beautiful condition and sounds GREAT! I bought it about 20 years ago at a guitar show in Detroit. It came with a really nice old tweed hardcase. I've had a bunch of Supro's, Oahu's etc. but can't seem to ever let this one go. I've been looking for a matching MOTS amp for years.

Kauai808
06-16-2011, 08:07 AM

Now that is an impressive selection of premium ukes!

RichM
06-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Now that is an impressive selection of premium ukes!

Thanks! Anyone can waste their money. I just prefer to waste mine on pretty things...

...by which I mean ukes. Just wanted to be really clear on that.

Nixon
06-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I had 2 ukes for my first 4 years, nether very good but I was happy with them. UAS kicked in bad this year and I ended up spending about 2000 on 5, ranging from a Makala Dolphin right up to 2 Pete Howletts and a 20's Gibson. Finally kicked it for a while. Teaching myself to build them this summer so I can build any type of uke I have the urge to buy.

Huna
06-16-2011, 11:59 AM
well I think its on account they are not that big. I can't imagine having piano acquisition syndrome.

Uke Whisperer
06-16-2011, 12:36 PM
REF: I can't imagine having piano acquisition syndrome.

LoL!!!

dnewton2
06-16-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't have it but i remember a member having a uke delivered to him, from MGM, while on vacation in Disney land. Oh yeah he regularly bought and gave ukes away.

veejayblox
06-17-2011, 11:22 AM
well I think its on account they are not that big. I can't imagine having piano acquisition syndrome. depends on your point of view, certainly. :rotfl:

xjumper
06-20-2011, 03:40 AM
You know you have a problem when you look at a piece of furniture in your house and think I could sell that and get a nice uke.

roxhum
06-20-2011, 03:48 AM
OMG!!! I have a nice TV. Would you like to buy it?

patico
06-20-2011, 08:49 AM
You know you have a problem when you look at a piece of furniture in your house and think I could sell that and get a nice uke.

jajajajaj
almost happende to me once !!!
hahaha