At last - harp ukulele available for review...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I received the harp ukulele yesterday and did a little modification to it. It is really well made and to the plan. Overcoming the obvious building challenges in a production setting that is impressive. I love the coloured diapason strings...

Sorry about the quality of my playing - this thing is going to require some practice. I'm informed that the factory will be producing them soon so they will be available for purchase - get in line :)

Looks like a uke on steroids. Sounds really nice , how is it tuned ? Do the bass? strings resonate to the sound of the
fretted strings? Pretty cool .

It's lovely Pete. I'm wondering how the larger soundbox changes the ukulele portion sound wise. Could you say a little about that. It sounded good from here.

The diapason strings are tuned diatonically but of course could be tuned anyway you want. On my prototype I had a re-entrant 4th; on this instrument a wound 4th is used so the from the 4th to the 8th it is: G, F, E, D, C. Fairly logically and works for the 'ukulele prefered' keys of C and F. Tuning the 5th to A and the 8th to C# would give you the keys of A or you could put the 5th to F# for the key of D. I suspect puyers of this would already be very familiar with notation and stuff - it really is a fingerpickers axe! The soun is very strong and quite loud. The overtones created by the diapason bass give it a nmatural reverb which is quite spooky.

It sounds spectacular Pete and yes, while watching the video I was wondering if you had sneaked in some digital reverb... I'll have one.

Always wanted to try something like this, so very very happy that someone is making it. Must keep UAS in control though.

I haven't bought a uke for 6 months. I must have been saving for this one...

The case is rectangular and very plush - aNueNue have done a really great job with this and like their standard ukulele the quality is right up there.

The diapason strings are tuned diatonically but of course could be tuned anyway you want. On my prototype I had a re-entrant 4th; on this instrument a wound 4th is used so the from the 4th to the 8th it is: G, F, E, D, C.

Pete - what strings do you (or Anuenue) use for the bass strings? Just another set of gCEA or do you use a C E(tuned to D) E g g C E A?

If I had the uke tuned to low G, are the CDEF strings lower in tone than the G?? Or higher?

Some more video here:

After a week with this ukulele octopus I am getting better at hitting the right bass notes!

Nice! I expect that once I get this uke a bit of James' talent will rub off on me, right?

Top Bottom