recording a video but im having trouble.My voice recorded doesnt sound like my normal

SamJ1206

Reaction score
one

my recorded voice sounds nothing like my own voice, so when i watch it back i think it sounds weird. when i do it live people say its good

but because i dont sound like me when my boice is recorded im parranoid it sounds stupid :S

does anyone else have this problem?

:(

There's a few factors contributing to this: Firstly, we are the worst judges of how we sound. We're too close to the instrument (vocal cords) to be any kind of good judge of how it sounds, this is why singers of all styles and experience levels have voice teachers.

Then there is the recording method itself. The mic, the source, they all add their own coloration to the sound. And then the source used for playback adds its own coloration to the sound. There's an audio term: crap in = crap out. This is true of recording and listening. The quality of the mic, the pickup (if you use one), the source (sound card, dac, if you use one, program used...), and then the playback - are you using a crappy PC soundcard through crappier PC speakers? Those things will actually make certain frequencies inaudible, changing the character of your voice.

How much money you invest in recording stuff depends on how serious you are. Like anything, there's budget stuff, and there's insane stuff. But if you could get a decent soundcard, a dac, and either proper speaker monitors (I think even Apple sells some M-Audio Monitors?), or proper headphone amp and decent headphones, you'd go a long way to hearing how things should sound. :)

our voices never sound the same to us when record them and play them back.

How we sound to ourselves will always be different than how we sound to others due to the acoustics of our head and how our ears receive all that information. The vibrations of your voice travels through the various tissues in your head.

It's kind of like how music sounds when you're standing behind the stereo speakers instead of in front of them. :)

so what do you do?

do you do it anyway and ignore it?

or does it hold you back?

I think it does hold a lot of people back. As for myself, I just recorded anyway and eventually got used to my "real" voice.
I wish it sounded more like the voice in my head...

Rich and I were just talking about this thread. He said, "To myself I sound like James Bond. On playback I sound like Barney Fife." :D

Well, I just had to realize for myself that this is the way I sound to other people anyway so I just got over it. Just keep recording yourself and listening and you will get used to it also.

Don't let this hold you back though! Just go for it! Recording yourself is an important part of getting better with singing.

Top Bottom