Vintage Ukulele Condition Perception - Bewilderment...

ukulelecowboy

Reaction score
Hi All,,

I came across this ebay listing for a vintage Arthur Godfrey "Standard" Vega Baritone Ukulele.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-VEGA-BA...145?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23119ee051

What I found so incredulous was the seller's declaration that the ukulele was in original, excellent and "sweet" condition. Am I missing something? From the provided photos, I would easily label this instrument as "fair." And the claim that it would be difficult to find another in this great condition at this price? Absurd. The Vega Baritone is probably the most common vintage baritone after the Harmony/Silvertone Baritone. I have seen many in much better shape at a more reasonable price.

I simply do not understand how sellers can support these claims.

Just wanted to say that.

Alas, some uke "salesmen" are as unscrupulous as some used car salesman. Bottom line, this guy probably knows next to nothing about this uke. All flaws pictured, so it's purely laissez-faire.

With the rise in popularity of the ukulele, it is no surprise to me that people start asking the money they are these days. I used to appraise antiques. Everyone thinks they have a treasure on their hands. Again, the flimflam artists are everywhere and antique shops are pretty much all the same. Buyer beware.

Remember the 1500 Kamaka soprano not too long ago on ebay...or the Kamaka Jakes model...15,000.. the list goes on...

Yeah, he's a bit of a master of hyperbole! But... I bet he sells it at that price.

Top Bottom