Banjo uke suggestions

(the) Indigo Getdown

Reaction score
So I've only been playing for a little under a month and I'm already contemplating my next ukulele purchase. I take it that's normal, right? :p

I'm thinking my next one will be a banjo uke, because the more I research and listen to them, the more convinced I am it's probably part of my destiny to acquire one, so might as well go ahead accept the card fate's dealt me.

So far I've looked into Mainland's banjo-uke and the Firefly, and they both look pretty nice for their respective prices. But I'm open to whatever else is out there and hoping some of you fine folks will throw in a good word for your favorites in here.

Price-wise, I'd like to float somewhere around $200, but I'd probably be able to talk myself into going up to $300 if something really catches my eye (or ear). Not looking for any high end Gold Tone kind of quality, just a banjo uke that plays well and possibly looks nice while you're doing so.

I don't think Gold Tone is all that, especially considering the price. I'd go Mainland or Firefly, not because they're less expensive, but because I think they're much better for what you get and you can just play them without worrying about the many banjo variables that you usually need to contend with.

I play several vintage instruments, Gibson, Ludwig, Stromberg Voisinet and Slingerland, which I fully recommend, though with a caveat: know what you're looking for before you buy. Decide on the make you're interested in, and above all, look for instruments in great, playable condition. When a seller tells you a uke that's got a little rust and some wear and a couple of missing tension hooks "just needs a little love" to be in great shape, remember that love actually means money. ;)

Can't beat the Firefly, I am totally enjoying mine.
They just introduced a plastic fretboard model and trimmed $50 off the price.
You can still get the wood fretboard as an upgrade to 229, same price a originally released.
A more expensive option is the new "aNueNue" comes in soprano and concert.
Played a concert the other day and it was really nice.

I am putting this here to help
http://ukeeku.com/category/size/banjo-size
I see it as what sound you want. some like the little 6" heads while others want to blow your socks off with a resonator.
I have to disagree with jnobianchi, Gold tones are worth the money. best made production banjo uke out there. now you can go and get a custom ones that sound better, but I think the GT are awesome. It is a balancing act of tone, price, volume, quality, and playability.

I assume you like the twangyness of the banjo ukes already.. and now they are coming out with much lighter and better ones...for me, those are for niche player..some really love them...
I tried a older vintage one and it was not really for me.. maybe because it was a cheap one....just saying,..either you like them or not...try to play one first before buying at a music store.. MM Stan

Mine is a Rally that I bought on eBay for less than $200, with shipping. I had returned an expensive Gold Tone just before making this purchase because I wasn't impressed with the Gold Tone's quality for its price. This one fits more into my budget and my level of seriousness. They are made by a company called Dae Won, which also markets banjoles under the brand name "Morgan Monroe."

The instrument maintains very good tuning up and down the fret board. I prefer this (and all banjoleles) without the sounding board on the back and with a lightweight towel stuffed behind the head. Fortunately, you can remove the board with a few screws.

Regarding banjoleles, in general, just keep in mind that they sound great the first time you play "Ain't She Sweet" and "Five Foot Two" on one. After that, they can be kind of limited in their application. Mostly, I like mine because it is now my loudest ukulele!

I have a Slingerland made in the 1920's and I love it. It took me three weeks to make it playable, but I learned a lot about set-up. I also have to adjust her natural head every time the wind blows, so I figure they are not for everyone. She has about a 7.5" head and is pretty mellow all things considered.
Happened to be in a music store a few weeks ago (oops- how did I get in here?) and their was a cat making a bunch of noise on the tiniest banjo uke I had ever seen. I figure it is probably 5", and my wife is plunking away on it right now so I can't get it from her...but it is small. and light...and it has a wide neck (vintage ones have tiny mando like necks)...and I can take it anywhere-and it is LOUD.
Anyway- it is one of these bad boys
Morgan%20Monroe%20Banjo%20Uke-MMUB2-350rx.jpg
. I believe it is the same as the Eddie Finn.
I played two at the store and they were dead, but knowing a little about banjo ukes I thumped the head and AHA-someone give me a banjo key! Cranked that little Remo down to about A (I test them on my tuner...little obsessive I know) and POW! I had to break another one to my wife.
And she promptly claimed it as hers.
Action is a little high, but for now she is no Formby- I will work on it when she is at work in the fall and get it just right, but for the money it is certainly a fun little bugger to consider. I liked it over the Mainland because it is open back (no need for resonators here) and over the Firefly because I think a $5 hand drum with a neck is not worth what they are asking (flame away)-anyway, one to consider.

I have to disagree with jnobianchi, Gold tones are worth the money. best made production banjo uke out there. now you can go and get a custom ones that sound better, but I think the GT are awesome. It is a balancing act of tone, price, volume, quality, and playability.

Yes, I know, I know. :) The quality is there, it's built well - in traditional style, They have a lot of punch, and they even look great. I should like them, but for some reason, I just don't. :\

Mainlands are fantastic with maple and mahogany in concert and sopranos due in next month.
Another maker is aNue Nue they have soprano and concert with a Remo head and they come standard with an excellent rectangular hard case and come standard with Orca strings. Will have pics posted ASAP.

Thanks for all the recs and tips so far, much appreciated :D

SailingUke- did your Firefly come with the regular friction tuners or did you spring for the gearhead upgrade? If it's the former, how well do they stay in tune?

Tom- Never heard of Rally, guess I need to check into that one. My 5-string banjo is a bean blossom, which is another offshoot of Morgan Monroe. They make quality instruments for sure.

TCK- Nice find. I actually stumbled onto an Eddy Finn yesterday right before I saw your post. It's definitely in the running right now.

UkeRep- will be interested to check out those pictures when you get them up (I assume you're referring to the ukerepublic website?).

I totally get what you're saying Stan, and I think that is certainly one of the pros of playing ukes- there's just so much diversity and variation in the different sizes and contructions, you're bound to find something that can fit anybody's preferences. And yes, I am a fan of the twangyness, so I think it'd be cool to try an instrument with a bit of the banjo twang in a uke sized package. I am also thinking at this point that I'm going to go for an open back model. Can't think of a situation I'd be playing in where I'd need a resonator anyway, so that's just less weight to deal with.

Another banjo Uke option.... The Gourd banjo Uke

Here's just one more option to consider.. I make Gourd banjo ukes in Tenor and Concert size, Don't laugh.....they are loud and very playable. They are $250.00 plus shipping email Barry@signandart.com

Attachments

• DSCN2550.jpg
    DSCN2550.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN2561.jpg
    DSCN2561.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN2498.jpg
    DSCN2498.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 19
Originally Posted by ukeeku

Yes, I know, I know. :) The quality is there, it's built well - in traditional style, They have a lot of punch, and they even look great. I should like them, but for some reason, I just don't. :\

I agree with ukeeku, however, I found that there is a big difference between GT's different models. I love my "Banjolele" with and without the "deluxe" resonator kit installed. The "Banjo-Uke" models, not so much. Also, I found the key is to tune the Banjolele to the sound you want by adjusting the head tightness, the type of strings, etc. Once adjusted to your liking, it doesn't seem to change at all. I like the G.F. sound of my set-up. That was what I was looking for...

I have been interested in playing with a 6" head model too. They seem to sound just a bit more "ukee".

I suggest you find one that has, or capable of having, the sound you desire. "different strokes for different folks"...

...and I'll chime in on the Gold Tone banjo ukes also. I played all the banjo ukes that Ukeeku had at his house during banjo week. His Gold Tone banjolele sounded great. I own a Gold Tone banjo uke BUC concert scale. All the banjo ukes he had sounded good but I didn't leave with the impression that I wish I would have bought something different. BTW, I was the least impressed with the fleamarket banjo uke (firefly I think?) Not that it was bad, I was just not all that impresses with the tone. BUT, this is just all my opinion. Go out and play a bunch and see what YOU like.

Oh, one more thing. As far as the Mainland banjo uke goes, I've played two of them and they both sounded great. IMO you can never go wrong with a Mainland uke of any shape, size, wood combo etc... Simply the best bang for buck there is.

Barry, those gourd banjos look fantastic. Not exactly what I'm looking for at the moment, but definitely something to consider down the road.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. It's really helped to narrow my search down and I've gotten to research a ton of great sounding banjo ukes. I've gotten my choice down to either the Eddy Finn or the Firefly. I'm sure you'll al be made aware of if/when I make a final decision and pull the trigger on it.

Thanks again!

I like Gold Tone, but also check Dave's banjoleles at Waverly Street. Unadorned, but nicely made and reasonably priced.

The Gold Tone BUS, BUC, and BUT, are all at the top end of your price range at about $300, and are a great balance of price/quality = value. I have the concert version (BUC) and I love it.

The AnueNue is essentially the identical ukulele nut you get some enhanced finish and an armguard for the extra 100 bucks. Worth it if you have the dough.

I played the Firefly in a local music store. To me it looks and sounds like a toy for kids. I would never fork over more than 200 bucks for that thing. Granted, it has good volume and intonation. If it was under a hundred dollars I'd be all over it 'cause it's so cute, cuddly, and playable.

I see the Rallys on EBay all the time, and in the photos they look exactly like Gold Tone except much less expensive. But I've never seen one or heard one up close.

The saying "they don't make them like they used to" applies very well to the banjo uke. After a good set-up, both my "Columbia" Slingerland and my Stromberg-Voisinet sound and look awesome. I only paid $120 and $150 for each of them respectively.

The saying "they don't make them like they used to" applies very well to the banjo uke. After a good set-up, both my "Columbia" Slingerland and my Stromberg-Voisinet sound and look awesome. I only paid $120 and $150 for each of them respectively.

That's the way I feel. I've got roughly the same two models you have, $110 and $170 respectively, and they sound and feel much better than any of the new banjo ukes I've tried in the last year or so. Still, if you bought those new ones and took them home, set the neck lower, replaced and sanded the bridge, and replaced the Remo head with a calfskin, they'd sound a lot more like what I want to hear. :)

But, there's another reason I love vintage - the narrow neck. I realize that is NOT a lot of players' cup of tea. They want bigger, wider necks so that they can play the same way they do on a regular ukulele and branch out into different styles not traditionally associated with banjo uke. That makes perfect sense, and new manufacturers are responding - look at the necks and fretboards of Gold Tone, Firefly, Eddie Finn, etc. All are wider than the old manufacturers' models. It's a smart marketing decision to change design to suit customer demand.

But - when playing trad jazz, variety and tin pan alley, that narrow neck gives you the ability to quickly tear through jazz chords, and makes playing in Formby or Tessie O'Shea's style MUCH easier. With your fingers closer together, split strokes, fans and shakes are really easy, as are the left hand technique those vintage strokes require. So, it depends on what you want to play and what sound you like.

Reminds me of something posted last week on another forum: someone wrote that they wanted a banjo uke that sounds really warm, quiet, and mellow. The overwhelming suggestion was "don't buy a banjo uke". ;)

Top Bottom