The trip to California, so far.

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
There I was, sitting in OHare Airport on Tuesday, playing my Fluke while waiting for my flight to Denver, when a gentleman came over and started asking about it. We chatted, and it turns out he has a Kala. (Leter on, he told me about UU, but said he hasn't posted. I didn't get his name, but he was headed to Bakersfield.

Shortly thereafter, a family came over, and asked me what the instrument was that I was playing,. We talked about the Uke for a while, and the son said he played guitar, and was flabbergasted when I handed him my Fluke and told him to go ahead and play it. When they had to leave, they thanked me.

When an incoming flight was unloading, I kept playing. as business travelers rushed past me, I saw a lot of them stop, turn around and look at me, and smile before going on their way.

A gentleman in the waiting area asked if we knew the local time, and then said, before leaving, "By the way, you play very well."

And the best part - when I got to my in-law's house, my father in law amazed everyone by singing along with me. After the stroke he has a lot of problems, but he carried the tune, and the words were discernible at least part of the time. Both the speech therapist and the physical therapist were amazed, and urged me to keep singing with him.
It's been a good trip so far, even if I had to miss the San Jose Uke Group meeting last night. (I decided sleep was more important.)

Have a great week, folks - I'll be busy, but will try and get on every couple of days.

-Kurt

Aloha Kurt,
Glad to hear that you are meeting people who are intrested it the ukulele and that the uke is helping your father in law in cheering him up and his recovery....MM Stan

Aloha Kurt,

Props to you on spreading the Aloha with your uke and for helping your father in law with his recovery from his stroke. Keep on playing Bruddah!

Great story. I wish I were a bit more outgoing to be able to play casually in public like that.
I hear Ukulele Source is a great uke store in San Jose:
Ukulele Source
599 N. 5th Street
San Jose, CA 95112
(408) 998-2640
web site: www.ukulelesource.com
–Lori

Welcome to California! That's great news about your father-in-law singing along with you. i've heard before that people can respond to music in ways that they might not be able to through speech. It sounds like singing is great therapy for him.

Lori's correct about Ukulele Source. Lots of ukuleles, both high end and not, and the owners, Smiley and Janet, are really nice. On the high end, there were KoAlohas and Kanile'as while I was there, and I think Ukulele Source just became an authorized Kamaka dealer. If you have time, it might be worth the drive up to Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. It's mostly a guitar shop, but it has a very nice ukulele section.

Hi, Kurt,

The power the uke has to make people smile is amazing, isn't it?

I'm sorry you missed our SJUC meeting. Good music and lots of laughter as usual. Last night was Creedence Clearwater Revival night.(Bad Moon Risin', Down on the Corner, and Out My Back Door), followed by a jam where members just shouted out songs they wanted the club to play. (Feel free to download the song sheets from our Song Book page at www.sanjoseukeclub.org.)

Our next meeting is on June 28th. The theme will be a tribute to George Harrison. Will you still be in San Jose then?

Gillian

Welcome to California! I get that kind of thing everywhere I go with my yo-yo's...I seriously need to get an uke that can sit in the car (someone seriously needs to make an all aluminum or something). Tomorrow I plan to take one to the History Center in town where I docent, see if I can't spread a little Uke love.
Great story there Kurt.

Gillian- where can I find the meeting dates for your club? I am in SJ about three times a year visiting the inlaws and I am usually uke-heavy when I get there.

Hi, Kurt,

The power the uke has to make people smile is amazing, isn't it?

I'm sorry you missed our SJUC meeting. Good music and lots of laughter as usual. Last night was Creedence Clearwater Revival night.(Bad Moon Risin', Down on the Corner, and Out My Back Door), followed by a jam where members just shouted out songs they wanted the club to play. (Feel free to download the song sheets from our Song Book page at www.sanjoseukeclub.org.)

Our next meeting is on June 28th. The theme will be a tribute to George Harrison. Will you still be in San Jose then?

Gillian

I'll still be here- will attend if I'm not working.

Starbucks has been flexible enough to let me pick up hours at the Blossom Hill Pavilion store in Los Gatos, and I told the manager I'm available whenever she needs me, for 20-25 hrs/wk. If I'm not working at that time, I'll be there.

And Lori and MDS - I've heard about Ukulele Source and Gryphon - they are on the list, since I'll be here until July 6th.

Depending on how my father-in-law is doing, I very well may be back a couple of weeks after that, again for 3-4 weeks, as well.

-Kurt

My most magical uke moment occurred in an airport, too. The story was relayed in a post about a year ago, so I won't repeat it. My advice to all is to always carry a uke when you're flying. A group of people with a slight case of the jitters makes an incredible audience!

What a fantastic start to the trip Kurt. Thanks for the post mate. Gee, if that doesn't set a good tone for the trip nothing will! :)

passing time

Greetings from another Seigel (my mother's side) <g>, I too take a uke when I travel and although I'm pretty much a beginning player I've had similar experiences. I'm starting to take a uke everywhere that I might have a wait (think Drs. office, DMV, etc.), it's healthier than checking my smartphone every 5 seconds for new email <g>. cheers, g2

Top Bottom