I love my Kanilea GL6 guitarlele!!

fumanshu

Reaction score
It's been a while that I didn't play with all my guitarlele collection but today, I decide to bring them out and give them a run...

I actually own almost all the guitarlele available on the market....Koaloha DVI, Mele, custom Little River, custom Brad Richardson.....but I realize today that the richest and fullest sound of all of them is my Kanilea GL6!!!!

Anyway, evrtime, I bring it put and play with it, I always have some good time listening how nice this instruemnt sounds like...

Since it's been a while that I didn't record anything, I decide to make a little clip today with the GL6....so if anyone of you were wondering how this instrument sound like can hear it....

Anyone of you own this little gem too??!! How do you like it?

Thanks

sounds nice and deep. Glad you're having fun with all you're guitarleles haha, that's quite a collection you have!

Hhaahh! Yeah, I just have too much man!!! I guess, I'll have to thin down my collection...I only 2 hands and so many instruments! :)

Soooooooooo much smooth playing. Awesome dude, awesome.

The GL6 is pretty cool, Kanile'a is a really innovative company.

Soooooooooo much smooth playing. Awesome dude, awesome.

The GL6 is pretty cool, Kanile'a is a really innovative company.

Thanks a lot. I also think kanilea did an awesome job with the GL6 since there's not much instrument like that on the market and that sound that good.

Beautiful playing. I have the dvi and yours sounds fuller

Hi Blue...thanks for your kind words. I think the DVI sounds very very good too, it's just different. It has surprisingly very good bottom end. Where I think the GL6 has the advantage over the DVI is that sustain and overall resonance is better. The highs seems sweeter also...

That bene said, I like t hem both.

By the way, on m'y DVI, I have 2 side soundports that my luthier did for me. I think, the sound is more open than what it used to be.

Very, very nice!! You play really well and I love the sound of the Kanile'a uke. Thanks for posting the video!!

I love it too in your hands- very well played. Can you post a picture of the side ports?

Thanks T! I'll try to take dôme pics later and post it. For some reason, I like side ports a lot, but not much people do it and believe that they change something to the instrument.

I absolutely agree!

Hi Fumanshu, yes I'm so happy with the GL6, it was a slight gamble when I bought it but the sound and the beautiful neck and fretboard are addictive.

It inspires me to experiment and break out into doing my own thing for a change. This tune came to me in bits and pieces about 10 days ago, although the middle bit was made up as I actually played it :D I see you have some different pins in there? For myself I swapped out the strings for Pro Arte Composite and Worth Brown for strings 1 and 2. There's a bit of string scraping and my camera is pretty awful on the sound recording :eek:

Glad you like yours as much as me. Its difficult to know where to post on here about guitarleles - they ain't a guitar n they ain't a uke??

Ken

So these are basically mini guitars right? Are they tuned EADGBE as well?
Nice playing on both vids too

Hi Fumanshu, yes I'm so happy with the GL6, it was a slight gamble when I bought it but the sound and the beautiful neck and fretboard are addictive.

It inspires me to experiment and break out into doing my own thing for a change. This tune came to me in bits and pieces about 10 days ago, although the middle bit was made up as I actually played it :D I see you have some different pins in there? For myself I swapped out the strings for Pro Arte Composite and Worth Brown for strings 1
and 2. There's a bit of string scraping and my camera is pretty awful on the sound recording :eek:

Glad you like yours as much as me. Its difficult to know where to post on here about guitarleles - they ain't a guitar n they ain't a uke??

Ken

Hi Ken! It's nice to see that you like your guitarlele....yeah, there's not much place on this forum for this instrument. But I think we can use this thread to post anything concerning guitarlele...

As for the bridge pins, yes I did swap the plastic one for the ivory-bone ones. It gives maybe a little more sustain. But when I did it, the luthier had to reshape each of the pins to make them fit in the whole.

So these are basically mini guitars right? Are they tuned EADGBE as well?
Nice playing on both vids too

I tend to prefer to see these instruments as an uke but with 2more basses strings....

Usually it's tuned A-D-G-C-E-A. So as you can see, first 4strings are tuned like a uke!

The Kanile'a GL6 sounds wonderful in both videos. It's a beautiful instrument.

I just bought a Cordoba Requinto 480. It just arrived today at my office, and I haven't even had time to open the box yet. I'm not sure how much this instrument differs from a guitarlele, but I'll post my thoughts on it after I've had a chance to play it a little bit.

The Kanile'a GL6 sounds wonderful in both videos. It's a beautiful instrument.

I just bought a Cordoba Requinto 480. It just arrived today at my office, and I haven't even had time to open the box yet. I'm not sure how much this instrument differs from a guitarlele, but I'll post my thoughts on it after I've had a chance to play it a little bit.

Sure post it when you will open it up! I've tried requinto in the pats and it's not the same thing as the guitarlele. I think the requinto is closer to the guitar than the guitarlele even if it's tuned the same way as a guitarlele.

It's also bigger than both the GL6 and DVI. I tend to see it as a 3/4 guitar but tuned like a guitarlele.

Let me update!

Top Bottom