PDA

View Full Version : I love my Kanilea GL6 guitarlele!!

fumanshu
06-15-2011, 02:57 PM
It's been a while that I didn't play with all my guitarlele collection but today, I decide to bring them out and give them a run...

I actually own almost all the guitarlele available on the market....Koaloha DVI, Mele, custom Little River, custom Brad Richardson.....but I realize today that the richest and fullest sound of all of them is my Kanilea GL6!!!!

Anyway, evrtime, I bring it put and play with it, I always have some good time listening how nice this instruemnt sounds like...

Since it's been a while that I didn't record anything, I decide to make a little clip today with the GL6....so if anyone of you were wondering how this instrument sound like can hear it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzh94IC1qQk&feature=channel_video_title

Anyone of you own this little gem too??!! How do you like it?

Thanks

hapuna
06-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

ItsAMeCasey
06-15-2011, 04:24 PM
sounds nice and deep. Glad you're having fun with all you're guitarleles haha, that's quite a collection you have!

fumanshu
06-15-2011, 04:31 PM
sounds nice and deep. Glad you're having fun with all you're guitarleles haha, that's quite a collection you have!

Hhaahh! Yeah, I just have too much man!!! I guess, I'll have to thin down my collection...I only 2 hands and so many instruments! :)

CoLmes
06-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Soooooooooo much smooth playing. Awesome dude, awesome.

The GL6 is pretty cool, Kanile'a is a really innovative company.

fumanshu
06-16-2011, 02:42 AM
Soooooooooo much smooth playing. Awesome dude, awesome.

The GL6 is pretty cool, Kanile'a is a really innovative company.

Thanks a lot. I also think kanilea did an awesome job with the GL6 since there's not much instrument like that on the market and that sound that good.

BlueInGreenUkulele
06-16-2011, 03:41 AM
Beautiful playing. I have the dvi and yours sounds fuller

WhenDogsSing
06-16-2011, 05:00 AM
Very nicely done. Thanks. The Kanilea sounds great in your able hands.

fumanshu
06-16-2011, 05:01 AM
Beautiful playing. I have the dvi and yours sounds fuller

Hi Blue...thanks for your kind words. I think the DVI sounds very very good too, it's just different. It has surprisingly very good bottom end. Where I think the GL6 has the advantage over the DVI is that sustain and overall resonance is better. The highs seems sweeter also...

That bene said, I like t hem both.

By the way, on m'y DVI, I have 2 side soundports that my luthier did for me. I think, the sound is more open than what it used to be.

molokinirum
06-16-2011, 05:05 AM
Very, very nice!! You play really well and I love the sound of the Kanile'a uke. Thanks for posting the video!!

TCK
06-16-2011, 05:32 AM
I love it too in your hands- very well played. Can you post a picture of the side ports?

fumanshu
06-16-2011, 05:53 AM
I love it too in your hands- very well played. Can you post a picture of the side ports?

Thanks T! I'll try to take dme pics later and post it. For some reason, I like side ports a lot, but not much people do it and believe that they change something to the instrument.

Ken of York
06-16-2011, 06:18 AM
Hi Fumanshu, yes I'm so happy with the GL6, it was a slight gamble when I bought it but the sound and the beautiful neck and fretboard are addictive.

It inspires me to experiment and break out into doing my own thing for a change. This tune came to me in bits and pieces about 10 days ago, although the middle bit was made up as I actually played it :D I see you have some different pins in there? For myself I swapped out the strings for Pro Arte Composite and Worth Brown for strings 1 and 2. There's a bit of string scraping and my camera is pretty awful on the sound recording :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otX4Pt0QIoQ&feature=related

Glad you like yours as much as me. Its difficult to know where to post on here about guitarleles - they ain't a guitar n they ain't a uke??

Ken

Kauai808
06-16-2011, 08:05 AM
So these are basically mini guitars right? Are they tuned EADGBE as well?
Nice playing on both vids too

fumanshu
06-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Hi Fumanshu, yes I'm so happy with the GL6, it was a slight gamble when I bought it but the sound and the beautiful neck and fretboard are addictive.

It inspires me to experiment and break out into doing my own thing for a change. This tune came to me in bits and pieces about 10 days ago, although the middle bit was made up as I actually played it :D I see you have some different pins in there? For myself I swapped out the strings for Pro Arte Composite and Worth Brown for strings 1
and 2. There's a bit of string scraping and my camera is pretty awful on the sound recording :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otX4Pt0QIoQ&feature=related

Glad you like yours as much as me. Its difficult to know where to post on here about guitarleles - they ain't a guitar n they ain't a uke??

Ken

Hi Ken! It's nice to see that you like your guitarlele....yeah, there's not much place on this forum for this instrument. But I think we can use this thread to post anything concerning guitarlele...

As for the bridge pins, yes I did swap the plastic one for the ivory-bone ones. It gives maybe a little more sustain. But when I did it, the luthier had to reshape each of the pins to make them fit in the whole.

fumanshu
06-16-2011, 10:33 AM
So these are basically mini guitars right? Are they tuned EADGBE as well?
Nice playing on both vids too

I tend to prefer to see these instruments as an uke but with 2more basses strings....

Usually it's tuned A-D-G-C-E-A. So as you can see, first 4strings are tuned like a uke!

mds725
06-16-2011, 10:43 AM
The Kanile'a GL6 sounds wonderful in both videos. It's a beautiful instrument.

I just bought a Cordoba Requinto 480 (http://cordobaguitars.com/requinto480). It just arrived today at my office, and I haven't even had time to open the box yet. I'm not sure how much this instrument differs from a guitarlele, but I'll post my thoughts on it after I've had a chance to play it a little bit.

fumanshu
06-16-2011, 10:52 AM
The Kanile'a GL6 sounds wonderful in both videos. It's a beautiful instrument.

I just bought a Cordoba Requinto 480 (http://cordobaguitars.com/requinto480). It just arrived today at my office, and I haven't even had time to open the box yet. I'm not sure how much this instrument differs from a guitarlele, but I'll post my thoughts on it after I've had a chance to play it a little bit.

Sure post it when you will open it up! I've tried requinto in the pats and it's not the same thing as the guitarlele. I think the requinto is closer to the guitar than the guitarlele even if it's tuned the same way as a guitarlele.

It's also bigger than both the GL6 and DVI. I tend to see it as a 3/4 guitar but tuned like a guitarlele.

Let me update!