Hi from Podunk, Arkansas!

Pearlex3

Reaction score
Being a stressed out college student at the end of the semester, I promised myself that if I managed to finish all my work for classes, I'd go online and buy myself an ukulele. I'd been looking at and listening to different models for a couple months, trying to decide.

Lo and behold, the morning I turned in my last essay, I went with a friend to a local music store for guitar strings, and found that they had the exact model of ukulele I wanted (a Kala KA-C), for cheaper than I had seen elsewhere.

Now, I've added a repaired ukulele that my dad found in storage, and am starting on my first Grizzly kit to get the hang of it. By starting, I mean mostly staring at it and then going online to read more advice.

So, hi!

Aloha Peaerlex3,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and the ukulele..have fun and enjoy...Google Musicteacher2010 for awesome tutorial videos and Dr Uke for songs, chords and instructions...Happy strummings
MM Stan

Hello and welcome! I was born in Little Rock, but we moved to Fl when I was a baby. I go back to visit family and think Arkansas is such a pretty state!

Aloha Pearlex3,

Welcome to the UU and our Forums. It looks like you're on your way to being afflicted with U.A.S. - once you get it, you'll never be free of it! See you around the Forums!

Hello and welcome! What is the uke your dad found and you repaired?

Thanks for all the warm welcomes guys!

where in podunk are you from? i live in eureka springs! looking for people to play with! hollah!

No way! I live outside of Bentonville, home for the summer. I go over to Eureka a lot during the summer with friends though! I always say I want to move there someday.

Hello and welcome! What is the uke your dad found and you repaired?

Thanks! I have absolutely no idea what brand the uke is, just an old soprano with a tiny "made in Taiwan" sticker on the back. It looked really cheap when he first brought it out, but I'm really impressed with the tone and intonation, given a new bridge and strings:
attachment.php

Aloha Pearlex3,

Welcome to the UU and our Forums. It looks like you're on your way to being afflicted with U.A.S. - once you get it, you'll never be free of it! See you around the Forums!
Thanks! I'm starting to see what a slippery slope U.A.S. can be- I went by a music store a couple towns over, and they had a whole set of Lanikai tenors on sale. Sorely tempted, but I made it out with money still in my pocket. So far.

Hello and welcome! I was born in Little Rock, but we moved to Fl when I was a baby. I go back to visit family and think Arkansas is such a pretty state!

It's a pretty state until the temperature starts hitting up in the nineties. But then it's equally pretty from inside an air conditioned house!

Thanks! I have absolutely no idea what brand the uke is, just an old soprano with a tiny "made in Taiwan" sticker on the back. It looked really cheap when he first brought it out, but I'm really impressed with the tone and intonation, given a new bridge and strings:
attachment.php

Wow ... that's the exact same type I first picked up. It came to me from my dad who got it as a gift from .... me about five years ago. I thought he'd like something to do in his retirement. Lucky for me, he never got into it, and when cleaning out the garage, gave it back to me in mid April. I picked it up, strummed, and realized I wanted to learn. My problem was the soprano size didn't feel right, so I went and got a concert sized one. Now I'm waiting for uke #3 to be delivered (a tenor size). I figure I'll pass this on to one of my nieces or nephews and hopefully they'll get inspired, too.

The "brand" is Kimo, and it's an ultra entry-level uke made in China. Low end materials, but actually not bad for the first thing you ever pick up. And with new strings, it sounds pretty good.

Anyway, I just thought the coincidence was pretty cool.

And, from one n00b to another, E komo mai!

Top Bottom