Give Me Strength

simony

Reaction score
I ordered a Kala Spruce top Tenor last week from Hawaii.
I live in NZ.
It is being sent to me via USPS. It left Hawaii according to USPS track and trace last Sunday 12 June. It cost me an extra US$60 to have it sent by priority international post. It takes about 8 hours to fly it to NZ assuming they are using planes and not ships. I still don't have it and I am so looking forward to it. I'm hoping that they didn't send it via Australia as with the Chile volcano no flights by Qantas are coming to NZ at the moment. Do they use Qantas as a cariier via Australia? Not sure if they send parcels to NZ direct. Can't get any info as to where it might be in transit other than it says it was dispatched last Sunday at 1.26 am. I've experienced Fedex and DHL in the past and I get things delivered in a matter of days. Am I just being obsessivly over impatient with excitement !!!! If it doesn't arrive tomorrow I'm going to have a weekend of misery.

lol, I've had things arrive from the states in a matter of days, then I had one thing that took 3 weeks.....Best to just rationalise it out by thinking how long it would take for you to build it yourself......

lol, I've had things arrive from the states in a matter of days, then I had one thing that took 3 weeks.....Best to just rationalise it out by thinking how long it would take for you to build it yourself......

he he...I like your thinking GG!!!!

I empathise with you simony, but the ol' adage, "good things come to those who wait" is never truer than when describing some poor bugger waiting for their uke!!! :)

It cost me an extra US$60 to have it sent by priority international post.
If it's like Canada, the post office is charging you $6 for the mailing and $54 for storage.

I've tracked ukes from Hawaii - they arrive in Vancouver in a couple of days, than take a long, well-deserved break in a postal warehouse while they rest their wings. Have a little tete-a-tete with the folks in Customs while they're there, a few days explaining why they should be allowed into Canada. Then, a week or so later, they lazily get back into action and shuffle slowly overland to me. It can take three weeks to get to me, but most of that time is spend moving at glacial speed within my own postal service. Which, today, is on strike.

Good luck.

just so you know the USPO uses Fed EX for most of the priority stuff they are under contract.

If it's like Canada, the post office is charging you $6 for the mailing and $54 for storage.QUOTE]

Hi Chadwick I think that's a great explanation for how the charges are allocated as I am sure iy arrived into NZ last Sunday. Anyway all the responses have cheered me up and given me the strength I need to wait for that email from Reception "Package for you at reception to collect"

Cheers

Si

I can't answer your question but I sure can feel your pain! Canada Post is on strike and my cool little Aloha all plastic uke us already in transit, and I just bought the funkiest Kala prototype ever... And have no idea when I will see it.

Where is that darned teletransporter when I need it?

Thanks GG

You have a point. I'll visualise myself in the shed knee deep in wood shavings wondering where I went wrong !!!

Hi Allan

My thoughts are with you. At least our postal services aren't on strike. I am not sure what is worse knowing your package isn't going to get to you because of a strike or having know idea where you package is and why.

Cheers

Si

Simony,
I live in Australia and the problems I am having with shipments from the USA are not so much transit time but transit charges. My last two purchases, last year, from MGM cost $58 to send and both arrived within a week. I see that now that postal charges are as high as $70.
I purchase quite a lot of art materials and my last 3 orders from America have cost $38 each shipment (from Cheap Joe's and Jerry's Artexpress). I sent a duplicate order to Bromley's in the UK and the postage was 5 pounds ($8.08).
As far as overseas postage goes USPS is not competitive and as a consequence American mail order companies are becoming non competitive. I really had no option but to purchase my last 2 ukulele's from Hawaii as they were K brands but should I want a Kala or other Asian manufactured instrument I would think twice before purchasing from the USA even though the Aussie dollar is above parity against the Greenback.

...As far as overseas postage goes USPS is not competitive and as a consequence American mail order companies are becoming non competitive. ..

Actually I think the USPS is quite competitive, especially for overseas packages. I have taken packages to 2 other places plus the post office and the post office had the cheapest rates. They also deliver faster (at least getting stuff out of the US). My experiences with the other services have not been as good.

I'm not sure why.

Hang in there dude, it'll all the so worth the wait!

My uke still hasn't arrived. USPS track and confirm tells me that they shipped it out of Hawaii on the 12 June at 1.26am. I have just had another look at the tracking number and blow me down it says it has just arrived in NZ on June 21 at 8.40 am. Now that's 9.3 days to fly from Hawaii to NZ. An 8 hour flight. They must have got someone to bring it here in a canoe!!! That's ridiculous especially when it costs US$60 extra to use Priority International Mail. Thank God it was Priority Mail if it was any other service I'd be playing a harp (not a uke) at the pearly gates by the time it arrived. It will be interesting now to see how many days it takes to get from the airport a half hour away to my door. Frustrating !!!

I had the same deal with getting my Flea, but then again it was during the Christmas/New-Year period so I was surprised to receive it all around that time. Don't be surprised if it takes a couple more days.

Personally I suspect some of the problem lies with NZ Customs, but on the other hand, we are at the absolute arse end of the world in terms of shipping lines...

Hi Whetu

No it flew through NZ customs and was delivered to me this morning. Fantastic. I'm stoked. Looks and sounds great. I'll be getting acquainted with it tonight. Cheers Simon

Hi Whetu

No it flew through NZ customs and was delivered to me this morning. Fantastic. I'm stoked. Looks and sounds great. I'll be getting acquainted with it tonight. Cheers Simon

Glad the long wait is over! Enjoy getting to know your Uke!

Top Bottom