album recorded in a classroom

Jake_Loew

Reaction score
my fellow audio geeks,

my name is Jake Loew, and I'm an audio production major/music minor at Ohio University. I headed a trio this quarter with my baritone uke. When we decided we wanted to record, my friend Steven Warstler, who is a great engineer, agreed to help with the process. The question became how, and where?

We decided to give it a try in a classroom in Bentley Hall. The rooms are quite big and usually empty. Unfortunately, 2 rooms down the hall from us, a huge choir was singing gospel songs and playing djembes. Despite the noise, we recorded 10 tracks. (you can hear them at the beginning and end of some of the tracks)

All the tracks were recorded live, and they came out with the sort of rough-around-the-edges sound that I wanted them to have.
Instruments include:
a double bass, which was recorded with a rhode condneser mic, and a D.I.
an acoustic guitar and backing vocals were recorded with one AT4040 condenser mic
lead vocals captured with an SM58
baritone ukulele played through an acoustic amplifier captured with an AT4040

you can download it for free at www.jacobstrio.bandcamp.com
and like us on facebook too!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jacobs-Trio/225270117485472

let me know what you think of the album or how the process effected the outcome.
Best,
Jake

Jacob,

Nice job on the recording. I started listening for the choir at the start and finish of songs but didn't catch it. your recording turned out well. Though you say you were going for the rough around the edges sound, it is certainly more professional sounding than a lot of the recordings we hear made on computer mics.

Good job.

Nice tunes, really well performed and recorded. Only had a chance to listen to a couple of them, have to come back for the rest. I think your obvious hard work really paid off..... great job.

it is certainly more professional sounding than a lot of the recordings we hear made on computer mics.

I suppose it is, but I just meant that I wanted it to sound more woody than shinny, you know? I'm still learning the art of audio, and always want to improve.

Thank you both for the compliments! Hope you enjoyed the music!

I suppose it is, but I just meant that I wanted it to sound more woody than shiney, you know?
I think I know what you mean. We have done some recording where we record one track at a time, recording each part over and over until it is perfect, both instrumental and vocal. Then after mixing everything down, the result is kind of flat without the spark of a live performance...

I think I know what you mean. We have done some recording where we record one track at a time, recording each part over and over until it is perfect, both instrumental and vocal. Then after mixing everything down, the result is kind of flat without the spark of a live performance...

live recording is great, if you have enough pre-amps, and microphones and stuff. But a lot of the advice I received, says that the best thing to do is to find the process that works best for you. whatever that may be.

Top Bottom