"The Water Is Wide"

H

Hippie Dribble

my favorite song. dedicated to my mum and dad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJakWrcZd9M

for some song history and personal thoughts, there are some comments and lyrics I wrote up to accompany the recording. I would have sung a longer version but I am unable to sing this without crying. For now, this simple instrumental arrangement will have to suffice. Please contact me if you would like a copy of my interpretation, I am happy to pass it on.

Thanks for taking a look. Blessings everyone. :)

(edit: I just realised the recording is a little quiet, I apologize)

Last edited:
Very nicely played- going to have to look for that one and see if I can jump start my picking go-to's...which as of now is one song (sigh).
Looks like a new favorite is in town huh? Seems that Beansprout (I think) is getting a lot of air time- it is super nice. Sooooooo clear and clean

Beautifully rendered. My kind of tune. Thanks Eugene,
Don

Aloha Eugene,
That was awesome bruddah, Love the song and your lovely irish melodies and how you played them..wow..beautiful....I'm not as good as you, and just pulled this out of my head..
I liked the song very much and did my own rip on it...sorry I threw out your lovely melodies.. I hope you don't get mad...just a lousy rendition...by me..
(Dm) the water is wide, (C)and I cannot cross over...
(C)and neither have the wings(F) to fly..
I used the same chords for most of the verses..
Can you send me your tabs...I would appriciate it very much...Stan

That was very nicely done Eugene!! I really enjoyed it, thanks!!!!

Aloha Eugene!!! Excellent, beautiful work!!!

Tony, Dave, Stan, Don, Bart, Molo, PC and 23 Skidoo

Thanks so much guys for your encouragment. This song really affects me in a powerful way. can't really describe it but I just feel overcome whenever I hear it or try to play it.

Stan, you mentioned the chords....I'm not sure if this is the 'standard' or conventional transcription of the chords for this song, but this is how I play it - and what I based my instrumental arrangement around:

The water is (F)wide and (Bb)I cannot get (F)over
And neither (Dm)have (Bb)I wings to (C)fly
Build me a (Am)boat (Bb)that can carry (F)two (Dm)
And both shall (F)row, (C)my love and (F)I

A ship there is (Bb)and she sails the (F)sea
She's loaded (Dm)deep, as (Bb)deep can (C)be
But not so (Am)deep (Bb)as this love I'm (F)in (Dm)
I know not (F)how, (C)if I sink or (F)swim

etc etc....

Hope this helps mate. I will write up the tabs properly tomorrow and send them to you by email.

Top Bottom