Ibanez Uke

kevsumac

Reaction score
Firstly I must admit a character flaw. I am easily swayed by looks. This is probably why my first uke is the Epi Les Paul. I love it, but realize it is a cool amped uke that lacks an acoustical punch. I am also glad I got this concert size, soprano scale is so small I don't see how you guys play them. I don't have a lot of experience so I can love my Epi without comparing it to better models that I've never played.

Ok having said all that, I want to get a purely acoustic concert scale uke. I hear Kala, Mahalo, and Mainland throw around a lot, and I've looked at them. But then this guy catches my eye http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-...e-Concert-Spalted-Mango-105775936-i1475511.gc
This is gorgeous! (see admitted character flaw above) And pretty reasonably priced. Anyone own or have opinions on Ibanez ukes?

Unfortunately, the Ibanez is one of those "look pretty, but no acoustic substance" cases.
Tried some in store, and they sounded as dead as a corpse. There were absolutely no redeeming acoustic features.
It's a pretty lump of wood with strings on it.

That said, I have the Epiphone Les Paul uke.
Actually, I find it quite a good acoustic instrument. It's not the loudest type, but there is a rich, mellow tone to it.

But the Ibanez was really dead to my ears. Sorry for being so critical, but that's how bad it was to my ears LOL
The cheapest budget ukes like Mahalo even sound better.

I have that very model. It really is easy on the eyes. You say you want "acoustical punch". This is not the Uke for that. I wouldn't be as harsh as kissing, but it is definately more quiet than other Ukes. I don't regret the purchase. I am looking at the K brands right now for more punch.

I have the quilted maple version. It is both nice looking and very quiet.
Guitar Center had a coupon running so I got it for $149 with free shipping.
Perhaps better strings would give it more punch.

Top Bottom