Kimo Hussey... pretty much, da man!

DeVineGuitars

Reaction score
Just finished a few videos with Kimo Hussey. He covers everything from ukulele knowledge and size comparisons to song writing. He is truly one of the most incredible players and teachers I have come across.
If anyone has any other recommendations about ukulele subjects for him to cover next, please let me know.
Here are some links to the videos and to my blog where you can find all of them.
"Somewhere"
"Today"
Kimo Hussey compares a tenor and baritone uke
"Scarborough Fail"
"Killing me softly"
Kimo Hussey discusses "troductions"
All ukulele videos

Last edited:
Kimo is da kine

I have to point out that Kimo got the foundation of his musical training here at Occidental College, where I work. A member of the Class of '67, he toured Europe with the Occidental Glee Club before enlisting in the Air Force -- he's a retired pilot, and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Thanks for the links! Kimo is truly awesome. I can listen to him all night.

Gotta say, the playing is beautiful; and the ukulele, OMG, what a fine sounding instrument. Wonderful! Thanks for the links and the UAS pangs.

Thanks for posting those awesome videos. I really enjoy Kimo's music. I have the He Mele Aloha book that Kimo co-edited. I had signed up for a workshop with him at the 2010 Wine Country Ukulele Festival in St. Helena, but he had to cancel his appearance there. I'm Still hoping to see him perform live sometime soon.

Kimo certainly is a wonderfully original player. I had the honour of recording a few videos with him last year. He is a really generous and positive person too.

Thanks for posting those awesome videos. I really enjoy Kimo's music. I have the He Mele Aloha book that Kimo co-edited. I had signed up for a workshop with him at the 2010 Wine Country Ukulele Festival in St. Helena, but he had to cancel his appearance there. I'm Still hoping to see him perform live sometime soon.
I think is scheduled to be there this year. I am hoping to make it there myself!

Thx for the links..I discovered a great beginner strumming technique by Mr Kimo...A great teacher and so joyful... definitely a modern day hero.

Hear that? That's the sound of me stacking my ukes on the old Weber and lighting a match. I give up. ;)

Didn't know too much about Kimo prior to this post as I'm a recent convert from guitar to ukulele. Kind of feel like I did when I heard James Taylor in person for the first time. Totally mesmerized. I gave up saxophone quickly and bought a guitar.

Wow, he is so smooth and no doubt seems like a real nice guy. That kind of personality is tough to manufacture on camera.

Eric, your ukuleles are stunning visually and sound great. Thanks for shooting these videos and sharing. Really inspiring. (And good marketing.)

Kimo is very excited about all the positive feedback from these videos and has requested I get some more ideas on topics and songs to cover for the next videos. Any ideas?

I'd love to hear Kimo's thoughts on soloing!

Have hear Kimo's name mentioned, but hadn't heard him play. Not sure why not, but thanks for the links. Will be taking a lot closer look (and a listen) to Kimo and Devine ukes.

The great ones always make it look so easy. Mahalo for sharing.

I would love to see a tutorial on his version of "Somewhere" (Beyond the Sea).

My daughters love that song!

Mr. Kimo is another great inspiration...

Great stuff, thanks!

One idea for a topic: It'd be great to see how Kimo's right hand manages to play chords and notes at the same time. Maybe he could play a nice chord/melody verrrry slooowly with the camera zoomed in on his right hand and the strings?

Last edited:
Top Bottom