What's the Best Type of Spruce for Inlay

Vic D

Reaction score
So which is it? Or is there another top wood that goes well with spalted maple and takes inlay fairly well... Oh and the stuff has to be beautiful.

Talking inlay around the rosette that'll continue with a theme up the fretboard and headstock.

Oh, and I think my sopranos are jealous, I'm pretty sure I've heard them whispering... Don't be looking at that gap in the end graft area of the soprano in the mold... I fully intenended to do that for reasons I'm not at liberty to discuss.

Last edited:
Lol.. I reread what I posted and I wasn't exactly sure what I was talking about either. What I meant to ask was; Spruce is difficult to inlay because it's so soft, so which type of spruce is tougher and more suited for doing intricate inlay?

Still not sure if I want to use a maple top or spruce...

Last edited:
Googly goo goo.

There are no 5A figured tight grained quartersawn maple soprano tops on eBay lol and I don't want to buy a whole board right now cause I got other stuffs I need.

Last edited:
Are you wanting to inlay into spruce, or use spruce as the inlay material?

I've never used spruce as the inlay material, but guitars are by and large spruce topped. They all get some sort of inlay be it rosette and/or binding. You just have to have ridiculously sharp tools and using some shellac to firm up the surface prior to cutting the inlay pocket helps. Also you need to seal the pocket itself if you plan on using CA glue, as it will run up the end grain and cause a stain on many softwoods like spruce, cedar and redwood.

Top Bottom