Tenor ukuleles : D'addario J71 hard tension or ?

laurent93

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bought a tenor kanile'a. What do you think about the d'addario J71 hard tension ? I have some troubles with the hard tension.

Do you think that strings can damage the ukulele (bridge, nut) ? because originally they are strings for a guitar.

I haven't test the other d'addario strings. I'm curious to have your experience about the J54.

Can you advise me ? I am open to any information about your personal experiences, in all brands.

Thanks.

There are other posts that talk about strings, of course. I can't speak to D'addarios specifically, but I will tell you that on my Kanile'a K-1 tenor, which I recently sold, I put on Worth CHLGHD (that's low G). Loved them, the extra tension was really good on that uke. No problem with bridge, Kanile'a is made very well. I now have them on a custom Lichty tenor and they are really fine.

Lots of people use classical guitar strings on a tenor. They won't hurt the uke. There was another thread just a day or two ago saying that even high tension strings were okay. Personally, I use standard tension strings, Savarez Alliance for the top three strings and a D'Addario J4304 for the low G. These were the strings that the luthier of my uke recommended.

I use them on my kanile'a. I use extra hard tension on the 1st and 4th string and hard tension on the 2nd and 3rd. Don't worry about damaging your uke, it'll be fine. As for the sound? Well, it's great!

Aloha Laurent,
You mention troubles with heavy tension...do you mean structural issues or playability and comfort on the fretboard?? just wondering..

I have d'addarios J71 pro artes on my custom kanilea tenor and there have been no issues..I had on my pono pkt-2 also with no problems.

Aloha Laurent,
You mention troubles with heavy tension...do you mean structural issues or playability and comfort on the fretboard?? just wondering..

I talk about the structural issues. I see that some of you, live in hawaii, they are no problem with the humidity.I think that can exist more problems with the woods, the fretboard, in a tempered climate.

I have heard that the fretboard can be twist, if the tension is too heavy. I also have heard about broken bridges.

Last edited:
I've got the D'Addario J71 on my Kamaka Tenor. They sound great!

I am going to try the newer D'Addario J92 Pro Arte Concert strings on my Kamaka when it comes time to restring though, just to see :) They are the Pro Arte strings but slightly smaller in gauges. Going to see how I like those. My Kamaka is still pretty new to me, had it for 3 months now, so still testing strings to see what I like the best on it :)

Top Bottom