PDA

View Full Version : The Ukulele Etudes

pulelehua
06-17-2011, 07:03 AM
I've been writing a series of ukulele etudes, for about a year and a half, I guess. I decided some time ago that when I got 10 done, I would do something. Publish them. Record them. Something.

What I've done is to start to post them and the tab on YouTube. So, if you want to listen, you can listen. If you want to try to learn them, you can try to learn them.

I'm brand new to Youtube, so any advice/feedback/questions/etc. would be most welcome. And, of course, please let me know what you think of the music!

This is the link to the first etude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BQQMQF90ZU

More to follow...

PhilUSAFRet
06-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Lovely, Thanks for sharing. I can't play this yet, but can see using them (simpler version) to learn how!

janeray1940
06-17-2011, 07:14 AM
This is fantastic! Any chance you could provide a PDF of the tab?

itsme
06-17-2011, 07:26 AM
This is fantastic! Any chance you could provide a PDF of the tab?
^^^ What she said times two. :)

pulelehua
06-21-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm a bit torn about posting PDFs for the simple reason that I might try to get them published, and that might be compromised by having given them away. So, I think for now I'll hold on to my little dream of fleeting fame and humble royalty cheques. We shall see...

Incidentally, for the MP fans out there, the recordings are all done with my longneck soprano MP.

With any luck, number 3 uploading tomorrow (found a recording blip on number 2... arg... needs redoing). The trick is that all the stuff I need is at work, so I need to squooze it in between, you know, working.

pulelehua
06-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Number 3, as threate... errr, promised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_VY9zDROe8

A bit of Hawaii, a bit of quasi-Iberia.

CTurner
06-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Well, if you're going to get them published, be sure to let us know! Quite lovely!

ukuleletim
06-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Very, very nice stuff. Sweet tremolo, too..

pulelehua
06-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Ukulele etude 6. This is a lullaby focusing mainly on pull-offs, but also moving chord shapes up and down with open strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gSSI0l4bOk

Thanks all for the continued views, comments, advice, etc.

:)

pulelehua
06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Number 4. Basically about making nice chords by playing a dissonant chord 2 strings at a time, splitting up the dissonant notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy52l-HLvc4

pulelehua
06-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Number 8. In the style of Ernest Ka'ai. More or less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkKEq4EqgYM&feature=related

dianalele
06-28-2011, 11:46 AM
these. are. AWESOME!

Any chance that if we kept pressuring you, you might change your mind and decide to put PDFs up?

P.S. I'm glad I found this thread, because I decided to start a similar project. I want to take mandolin and guitar concertos/sonatas, etc. and transcribe them for ukulele. I'm moving to Cambodia in 24 days so I think this would be a good project to kill time when theres no internet, tv, air conditioning, or really anything.

pulelehua
06-28-2011, 12:00 PM
these. are. AWESOME!

Any chance that if we kept pressuring you, you might change your mind and decide to put PDFs up?

P.S. I'm glad I found this thread, because I decided to start a similar project. I want to take mandolin and guitar concertos/sonatas, etc. and transcribe them for ukulele. I'm moving to Cambodia in 24 days so I think this would be a good project to kill time when theres no internet, tv, air conditioning, or really anything.

There is absolutely a chance that I will put them up as PDFs. My main reason for not doing so is the dream I've had, since I was quite small, to get something published. It's always been a goal. Just WHAT I was going to publish has changed over the years, but there's that "name in print" thing. Just want to cling to that one for a bit longer.

Thanks for the kind words. :) And for listening.

Vivaldi wrote a mandolin concerto and I've been wondering how it would sound on ukulele.

Good luck in Cambodia! I've never been to that bit of the world, but one of my brothers keeps threatening to retire to Northern Thailand, which he loves.

fitncrafty
06-28-2011, 12:15 PM
This is very lovely, I hope to try and play it although I don't know if I can play fast enough with the video..

MiaRosie
06-28-2011, 12:30 PM
superb ......

CTurner
06-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Number 8. Lovely, absolutely right for the ukulele. Please consider doing PDFs real soon, you'll get reimbursed for them!

janeray1940
06-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Number 8. Lovely, absolutely right for the ukulele. Please consider doing PDFs real soon, you'll get reimbursed for them!

Agreed, this is definitely something I'd pay for.

rasputinsghost
06-28-2011, 09:41 PM
awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Snorky
06-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Completely agree with Janeray :) Can't wait for these etudes to become available!

ItsMrPitchy
06-29-2011, 12:13 AM
These are really beautiful. I cant wait to see more.

joeybug
06-29-2011, 01:14 AM
These are so beautiful! If you do decide to release them, count me in for paying for the PDF's, would love to learn them!

Hippie Dribble
06-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Just amazing John. Brilliant playing, superb musicianship. I'd certainly pay money for these pieces of music. Thanks SO much for sharing this. I'm totally blown away...

mm stan
06-29-2011, 01:46 AM
Aloha John,
Awesome and amazing.....just beautiful...King was a master and ka'ai too....what book did you get these tabs out from....loved your playing too...Mahalo for sharing..MM Stan

joeybug
06-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Aloha John,
Awesome and amazing.....just beautiful...King was a master and ka'ai too....what book did you get these tabs out from....loved your playing too...Mahalo for sharing..MM Stan

He wrote them himself, Stan, at least that's what I thought

pulelehua
06-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Yes, these are mine. Thanks everybody for all the wonderful feedback. Like many of you, I've been a musician for a long time, then suddenly discovered this little instrument, which seems to have the perfect balance of everything. Which is funny, because it's such a particular, specific, unbalanced sort of instrument. Well, like Jake says, it's a small space which makes it fun to explore. Paraphrasing quite a lot. ;)

johntz
06-29-2011, 11:03 AM
These are simply fantastic. Your playing is amazing. Love the speed of the first one. Count me in as well when the time comes to sell this music. Congrats!

pulelehua
06-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Managed to get 2 more recorded today! Bit of a whirlwind. Might get all 10 up by the middle of July, which was my goal back at New Year's.

Here's the re-recording of #2 (missed a whole beat out on the first version - oops):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icjZt2rJX8

And here's #9 which, fitting the whole illogic of the project, was written 10th. For those who follow Uke Minutes, it's based on one of Aldrine's things. Thanks, Aldrine! Couldn't have done it without you. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNQkVykEhVE

Dan Uke
06-29-2011, 01:50 PM
When I first heard Etude 4, It sounds so similar to a mix of Eddie Vedder's Longing to Belong and Can't Belong. I know he strums while you fingerpick. Great Stuff!!!

itsme
06-29-2011, 03:21 PM
There is absolutely a chance that I will put them up as PDFs. My main reason for not doing so is the dream I've had, since I was quite small, to get something published. It's always been a goal. Just WHAT I was going to publish has changed over the years, but there's that "name in print" thing. Just want to cling to that one for a bit longer.
Okay, but consider this...

With a print publisher you are only going to get a fairly small royalty. The cost of printing and distribution is considerable. Retail markup is typically 50% of the final consumer cost as well, above the publisher's costs.

On another board I frequent, a member said they had contacted a publisher who stated that unless a published item sold 1,000 copies in three years, they considered it a loss and basically not worth their time. This was for classical guitar music, which arguably has a wider audience than fingerpicking uke.

You can minimize your expense (no printing/distribution cost, no shipping charge for your online buyers) and maximize your profit by selling e-books (PDFs) directly from your site yourself, but you need to be realistic.

I saw someone who was promoting their arrangements here for $5 per tune, which I think is rather ridiculous. Jamie Holding sells a bunch of classical uke e-books for like $5 apiece (I've bought several), and each includes umpteen tunes and like 20+ pages of music.

BTW, I seem to recall a thread where you were selling instructional books (not sure how they were published) but I can't find it now. Perhaps it was removed by a mod for advertising? But you can likely place your site in your sig or link it in your profile so people can find it. :)

Good luck with your endeavor. Make a reasonably priced e-book download of your etudes and I will be one of the first to buy it.

pulelehua
06-30-2011, 09:08 AM
itsme, thanks. That's a well reasoned argument. I never tried to sell anything previously, BTW. Can't remember that thread myself, so not sure who that was. Might have been before my time, UU-wise.

I like the fact that the producer (me) and the consumer (you in the collective sense) each get the most for the least. That appeals to me. I've never dealt with the whole world of e-commerce, so I'll need to look into some things.

Wonder if I have some web space lying around somewhere.......

CTurner
06-30-2011, 10:04 AM
I agree with itsme: you could have such control and a greater share of whatever profit is possible if you did something like PDFs. They are easily uploaded to a site, and you can control how people access and pay.
Actually, I wish you would decide to "publish" these etudes soon, as I'm really eager to try some! : )

itsme
06-30-2011, 10:33 AM
itsme, thanks. That's a well reasoned argument. I never tried to sell anything previously, BTW. Can't remember that thread myself, so not sure who that was. Might have been before my time, UU-wise.

I like the fact that the producer (me) and the consumer (you in the collective sense) each get the most for the least. That appeals to me. I've never dealt with the whole world of e-commerce, so I'll need to look into some things.

Wonder if I have some web space lying around somewhere.......
Okay, that must have been someone else then, which would explain why I couldn't find it. I think they were in Hawaii and I see you're from the UK. :o

I have a friend with a pretty successful business selling mostly digital downloads (MP3s of esoteric lectures). He has his own site with a shopping cart system and takes paypal. (You can use PP as a gateway where your buyers don't even need a PP acct.) That's probably more than you'd want to take on.

I mentioned Jamie Holding... you might take a look at what he's done.

http://sites.google.com/site/classicalukulelearrangements/

I imagine there's an equivalent somewhere of itunes where people can sell ebooks. I know you can open an Amazon "store" to sell MP3s and such. A major benefit of doing it that way is that a place like Amazon already has a ton of traffic, so you don't have to do all the promotion yourself. :)

sbarron
06-30-2011, 11:37 AM
I've purchased some self published e-books from folks through lulu.com before. It seems like a simple process, and they can also do print versions. You can count me in for buying a PDF. For the first etude I managed to watch through and scratch it all down so I could practice it, but it took me about a half hour. I won't be doing that for the rest, I'd much rather give you money!

These are awesome, by the way. Good luck with whatever avenue you chose to get them out there.

-Scott

pulelehua
06-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks, Scott. On both counts.

pulelehua
07-01-2011, 05:48 AM
On a roll. Of sorts. Number 7 is up, so just 5 and 10 to go. 5 is fun, 10 is a pain, but they're both tricky to get right.

Anyhoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT722ivgWJ4

Looked at lulu.com. Does look very straight forward. Though they had a whole thing on ePub or iPub, which looked a bit involved. I suppose I'm almost done with the whole YT/recording bit, so things COULD be up somewhere by the end of the month. We shall see.

Thanks again to everyone for their wisdom and advice.

John

pulelehua
07-05-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm currently compiling everything into Adobe InDesign (which I've never used). When that is done, which I don't THINK will take too long, I'll write up some performance/composition notes, throw on a cover, and get them online.

All of this is ignoring all the problems I'm going to encounter which, at this point, I have no idea exist. ;)

But they could be up in the next couple weeks. Fingers crossed.

ADD
07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Looking forward to having these available to purchase.

pulelehua
07-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Ok. I've done some research. I sort of have my head around a few things. I have a question for you (collectively) now:

There are a variety of formats available/necessary, depending on the vendor. Most ebook merchants focus on ebook readers. If you're interested in e-music buying, do you just want a PDF which you can print, or do you want a file you can read on your iPad, Kindle, smartphone, etc.?

Everything is steering me toward creating an ePub file, but I'm not sure how convenient that will be to print for most people.

(And I thought writing music was complicated............) ;)

Thanks.

John

itsme
07-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I don't have an e-book reader or a smartphone. I would prefer a PDF. :)

Perhaps you could make both options available?

CTurner
07-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I agree that PDF is a more easily viewed and printed format, as much as ePub is for the future of publishing. However, I am one who could do ePub for my wife's iPad if necessary.
I'm really glad you are so close!

ADD
07-09-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm all for PDF. Thanks much.

sbarron
07-10-2011, 04:01 AM
For musical notation and the like I think PDF produces a more beautiful product. I use a Kindle and the music stuff I've bought looks OK when viewed on the Kindle computer app but not so great when viewed on the device itself.

-Scott

pulelehua
07-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks, Scott. As I say, I'm brand new to this, so your wisdom is much appreciated.

Of course, now I'm going from "how do I sell an ebook?" to "how do I sell a PDF?" which is easier and harder, as now there's issues of "to host or not to host", etc.

I found one place, but they only pay per 100 Euros income, which seems a bit steep for a small enterprise. I could set up a website, but then I have monthly fees.

For those interested, the actual product is mostly finished. I'll definitely have that done this week. It's about 30 pages. 10 etudes. Performance notes. Usual bio of me, bio of my ukulele stuff. Trying to give it a bit of spit and polish.

Might throw in my ukulele/guitar duet, as it's a product of the thinking which came from the etudes. Sort of like a CDs bonus track. Not sure how many people would find that useful, or if I should make that piece #1 in a book of guitar/ukulele duets. Maybe that's what I'll do.

Back to the grindstone. Well, Google...

itsme
07-10-2011, 09:49 AM
I found one place, but they only pay per 100 Euros income, which seems a bit steep for a small enterprise. I could set up a website, but then I have monthly fees.
Like I said, take a look at what Jamie Holding's done.

His site is a free one thru google. He uses the paypal gateway and then emails the goods individually. Pretty low tech, but I don't imagine he sells more than a few ebooks a day, and I tend to doubt you'd be hit with a big volume either. Well, maybe a initial flurry from us here at UU. :p

So, if you go this route, the only expense you'd have are paypal fees. No hosting or fulfillment charges, no special programming needed on your part. Once you have your paypal set up, they'll give you the code to add to your site. And they'll email you when you receive funds, so you don't have to keep checking and will know when to email out copies.

I like the idea of a separate book of uke/guitar duets. :)

Check out Daniel Estrem on amazon. He's done MP3 albums of uke/guitar duets by Bach, Scarlatti and Ravel. Really nice stuff.

pulelehua
07-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Like I said, take a look at what Jamie Holding's done.

His site is a free one thru google. He uses the paypal gateway and then emails the goods individually. Pretty low tech, but I don't imagine he sells more than a few ebooks a day, and I tend to doubt you'd be hit with a big volume either. Well, maybe a initial flurry from us here at UU. :p

So, if you go this route, the only expense you'd have are paypal fees. No hosting or fulfillment charges, no special programming needed on your part. Once you have your paypal set up, they'll give you the code to add to your site. And they'll email you when you receive funds, so you don't have to keep checking and will know when to email out copies.

I like the idea of a separate book of uke/guitar duets. :)

Check out Daniel Estrem on amazon. He's done MP3 albums of uke/guitar duets by Bach, Scarlatti and Ravel. Really nice stuff.

Sorry, itsme, I HAD checked out Jamie and forgot to mention it. I've just discovered that I have some space with my Virgin Media account. Unfortunately, I've had some log-in troubles there. But when that's all sorted, I think I could set up PayPal and be off and running. Of course, I'll need to set up a "store front" type thingy.

To be honest, I'm a bit amazed at how brief Jamie's pieces are. I consider most of mine short, but they run for pages. Well, horses for courses. He's doing better than me, after all!

But you're right in principle. It does seem totally plausible and doable to get a page, throw up some PDFs, and get PayPal up and running. (fingers firmly crossed)

It would be nice to sort some sort of autosend function. Hmmmmm. If only not everyone wanted a fee for everything.

Thanks for the advice, and sorry again for not mentioning that I HAD followed it. :)

itsme
07-10-2011, 12:46 PM
It would be nice to sort some sort of autosend function. Hmmmmm. If only not everyone wanted a fee for everything.

Thanks for the advice, and sorry again for not mentioning that I HAD followed it. :)
Okay, no worries. :)

But, yeah, there's no free lunch these days when it comes to e-commerce.

Another thought... I bought an ebook from ukulelehunt.com once. They use e-junkie:

http://www.e-junkie.com/

Their starter plan is a flat $5/mo. (with no individual transaction fees or bandwidth caps) for up to 10 products and 50 MB of storage space on their server, which should be more than enough for you at this point. They auto process the order and send the buyer a link to a secured download from their site.

Here's a wiki about instant payment systems that mentions some other alternatives you might want to check out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Payment_Notification

Had a quick look at ebuckz. They don't charge a monthly fee, but they do take a 10% commission ($1 minimum) on your sales.

http://www.ebuckz.com/index.php

pulelehua
07-11-2011, 03:15 AM
On a non-economic note, I managed to get etude 5 up on YT. It's one of my favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn8cB-aFBZE

HoldinCoffee
07-11-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm listening to the Etudes whilst reading this thread and I gotta say so far, each one is my favorite! Very beautiful. I'm not understanding the comment about the tuning for #2... "one of the strings of the ukulele is tuned an octave higher than it seems it should be." Are you in standard reentrant C6 tuning or are you saying something different there?

Anyway, I want to save all of the videos to a playlist and listen to it on repeat. Thanks for sharing.

pulelehua
07-12-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm listening to the Etudes whilst reading this thread and I gotta say so far, each one is my favorite! Very beautiful. I'm not understanding the comment about the tuning for #2... "one of the strings of the ukulele is tuned an octave higher than it seems it should be." Are you in standard reentrant C6 tuning or are you saying something different there?

Anyway, I want to save all of the videos to a playlist and listen to it on repeat. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! Nothing fancy, tuning-wise. Just the peculiarities of re-entrant. I go through phases where I'm a bit obsessed by it, then others where it's just part of the package.

pulelehua
07-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Well, I've found a cheap web host, registered a domain, and will be putting a site together. Then it's a hopefully just a matter of sorting the PDF. Days maybe?

Also still need to record etude #10.

pulelehua
07-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Ok. Up and running. It's not the prettiest, slickest thing in the world, but...

http://www.ukulele101.co.uk/

I've done some research, and it's actually a bit complicated to trade money for PDFs. So, until I find a better solution, I will need to e-mail the Etudes on receipt of payment. I'll try to have as fast a turnaround as possible, but please remember I'm on GMT (8 hours ahead of Pacific, 5 ahead of Eastern). And have a day job...

Thanks so much to everyone for all their encouragement, advice, etc. Wouldn't have done it without you!

John

ADD
07-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks, John. Look forward to receiving them.

Bonita

pulelehua
07-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks, John. Look forward to receiving them.

Bonita

They should be with you as we speak!

Thanks, Bonita.

pulelehua
07-14-2011, 10:56 AM
K. So a friend at work said I had to get a Facebook Musician page up, so people could "like" me. Which somehow translates into exposure and other good things happening. (Can you tell that marketing does not run through my veins?)

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/John-Watson-ukulele-composer/133032883448523

I think that's it. If it doesn't work, a search for "John Watson, ukulele composer" will turn it up methinks. There's also a button on my website!

I feel like Sally Field at the Academy Awards... a really long time ago:

YOU LIKE ME! YOU REALLY, REALLY LIKE ME!

Except of course that I just set it up, so... in point of fact... statistically... you don't.

Hmmm.

;)

joeybug
07-14-2011, 11:10 AM
K. So a friend at work said I had to get a Facebook Musician page up, so people could "like" me. Which somehow translates into exposure and other good things happening. (Can you tell that marketing does not run through my veins?)

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/John-Watson-ukulele-composer/133032883448523

I think that's it. If it doesn't work, a search for "John Watson, ukulele composer" will turn it up methinks. There's also a button on my website!

I feel like Sally Field at the Academy Awards... a really long time ago:

YOU LIKE ME! YOU REALLY, REALLY LIKE ME!

Except of course that I just set it up, so... in point of fact... statistically... you don't.

Hmmm.

;)

Have liked the FB page and will look at the website and maybe buy...not because they're not good, but because I just don't have that talent...yet!

sbarron
07-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Ok. Up and running. It's not the prettiest, slickest thing in the world, but...

http://www.ukulele101.co.uk/

I've done some research, and it's actually a bit complicated to trade money for PDFs. So, until I find a better solution, I will need to e-mail the Etudes on receipt of payment. I'll try to have as fast a turnaround as possible, but please remember I'm on GMT (8 hours ahead of Pacific, 5 ahead of Eastern). And have a day job...

Thanks so much to everyone for all their encouragement, advice, etc. Wouldn't have done it without you!

John

Thanks, John, for all the hard work in creating these and making them available to us. I've placed my order and am looking forward to seeing just how far I've got to go in developing my skills to come close to playing these ;)

-Scott

ADD
07-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Slowly went through the first 3 right after I got them last night. Now to go back and listen to what they should sound like when played with proper technique and skill. Definitely doable and with practice I'm sure it'll improve my playing. And I too appreciate all your hard work that went into not only composing them but navigating the cyberspace business world to make them easily availble. Some may say that the latter part is easy but to me that's the part that confounds me.

Well, John, off to your Facebook page to say that even though I don't really know you, I like what you've done for the ukulele world and I LIKE YOU. I REALLY LIKE YOU.

Bonita

pulelehua
07-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Slowly went through the first 3 right after I got them last night. Now to go back and listen to what they should sound like when played with proper technique and skill. Definitely doable and with practice I'm sure it'll improve my playing. And I too appreciate all your hard work that went into not only composing them but navigating the cyberspace business world to make them easily availble. Some may say that the latter part is easy but to me that's the part that confounds me.

Well, John, off to your Facebook page to say that even though I don't really know you, I like what you've done for the ukulele world and I LIKE YOU. I REALLY LIKE YOU.

Bonita

Thanks, Bonita. I've spent a lifetime avoiding the business world and money, and I have to say, money has done an equally good job at avoiding me. Maybe we'll start to get on a bit better now.

All made possible by lovely people like you. :)

John

sbarron
07-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Took these to work today (we have "ukulele day" every other friday) and played around with #1 with another guy. I think you'll have another customer, we had a lot of fun with it. Thanks again!

Also, in #1 this chord: 2015 - what did my pinky finger ever do to you, man?!

-Scott

janeray1940
07-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Took these to work today (we have "ukulele day" every other friday)

Aw man, I wanna work where you work! Got mine last night and had to wait until this afternoon to start digging into them. Fortunately got off work in observance of Carmageddon (http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/07/your_carmageddon_survival_guide_everything_you_nee d_to_know.php), and I've been happily struggling, er, making my way through #7 ever since.

pulelehua
07-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Took these to work today (we have "ukulele day" every other friday) and played around with #1 with another guy. I think you'll have another customer, we had a lot of fun with it. Thanks again!

-Scott

Oh, just wait, Scott. Number 7, as janeray1940 knows, has an x2x8 in it right away. Another has a 55510. But, on the bright side, there's an Ernest Ka'ai piece with a 2229. That one HURTS.

Keep at it. It DOES get easier. Definitely. Most of these compositions were battles for me learning something new, or translating something new onto the ukulele. So, just imagine that you're refighting my battles, and someone won them before.

Good luck, and please do keep me posted!

pulelehua
07-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Aw man, I wanna work where you work! Got mine last night and had to wait until this afternoon to start digging into them. Fortunately got off work in observance of Carmageddon (http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/07/your_carmageddon_survival_guide_everything_you_nee d_to_know.php), and I've been happily struggling, er, making my way through #7 ever since.

That was one of the ones I used to just sit and play for fun. There's something about the finger movement which I really like. Once you get your fingers to do the first bit, it's not too bad, until you reach those chords way up the neck. The 13th fret stuff still sometimes doesn't sing for me. And the B section is a bit of a relaxer. I'll be interested to see how you get on with the twiddly bits at the end (the chromatic 7-6-7s and all that). They fit under my fingers instantly, but I think I got a bit lucky there.

And thanks for the link to Carmageddon. I had no idea what people were on about........... ;) I used to commute between Valencia and Burbank. That was a few lifetimes ago.

engravertom
07-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks for sharing your hard work! Order sent!

take care,

Tom

itsme
07-16-2011, 03:47 PM

Aw, that one's a piece of cake. :)

Oh, just wait, Scott. Number 7, as janeray1940 knows, has an x2x8 in it right away. Another has a 55510. But, on the bright side, there's an Ernest Ka'ai piece with a 2229. That one HURTS.
x2x8 is feeling the burn.

55510 is a simple barre chord. Easy enough once you get barring down.

2229 You've got to be kidding me! Maybe on a soprano/sopranino (don't have either). Painful even attempting on a concert.

Woohoo! See your Facebook says you're officially in the black as a publisher. Congrats! :p

BTW, I just redeemed some of the credits I've gotten taking online surveys for paypal, but it says it can take 10-13 days to be processed. Once it goes thru, I'll be ordering my copy. (I'm really trying to keep charges off my credit card.)

pulelehua
07-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks, Tom. Etudes are with you now!

Itsme, I'm on a concert neck, and that 2229 is rough. You have to sort of psych yourself up for it a few bars early, and every time I go to it, I sound like Steffi Graf's backhand, "ughh!".

Also remembered, the last etude as a 45411. The 11 is on a different beat, but it's much nicer if you keep the previous chord 4544 going. But it's slow, so you've some time to stretch.

And thanks in advance! I understand about credit cards.

janeray1940
07-17-2011, 10:12 AM
That was one of the ones I used to just sit and play for fun. There's something about the finger movement which I really like. Once you get your fingers to do the first bit, it's not too bad, until you reach those chords way up the neck. The 13th fret stuff still sometimes doesn't sing for me. And the B section is a bit of a relaxer. I'll be interested to see how you get on with the twiddly bits at the end (the chromatic 7-6-7s and all that). They fit under my fingers instantly, but I think I got a bit lucky there.

And thanks for the link to Carmageddon. I had no idea what people were on about........... ;) I used to commute between Valencia and Burbank. That was a few lifetimes ago.

This one is actually a great one for me to practice because some of the stuff higher up the neck, and that x2x8 stretch, I've got in a couple other things I'm working on. Serendipitous!

Thought that as a former resident you might be amused by Carmageddon. It's been a strange weekend - I haven't seen streets in Southern California this empty since the 1984 Olympics. It's rather nice!

pulelehua
07-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Two questions:

1. Would it be good/useful for me to offer .mp3s of the etudes as part of the online ordering system? All my files are .WAVs and gigantic, so it would be a bit of a faff, but I'd offer them cheap, 3 for the lot. Something like that. Just wondering if it's worth the bother. Just occurred to me that it might be better for getting the sound into your head, than having to use YouTube. Dunno. Or, horror oh horrors, someone might just want to <gulp> listen to them. On their own. Without notation and a ukulele on hand.

2. My current plan as a sequel (yes, he's thinking ahead) is to write a series of ukulele duets. Two reasons: 1. I think music is nice when it's shared. 2. Duets tend to be a bit easier to play, so some of those who feel the etudes are one step beyond (to quote Suggs) might feel that a book of intermediate duets might be more their style. Dunno.

What do you all think? I am very open to suggestions, advice, etc.

Thanks in advance.

John

janeray1940
07-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Two questions:

1. Would it be good/useful for me to offer .mp3s of the etudes as part of the online ordering system? All my files are .WAVs and gigantic, so it would be a bit of a faff, but I'd offer them cheap, 3 for the lot. Something like that. Just wondering if it's worth the bother. Just occurred to me that it might be better for getting the sound into your head, than having to use YouTube. Dunno. Or, horror oh horrors, someone might just want to <gulp> listen to them. On their own. Without notation and a ukulele on hand.

2. My current plan as a sequel (yes, he's thinking ahead) is to write a series of ukulele duets. Two reasons: 1. I think music is nice when it's shared. 2. Duets tend to be a bit easier to play, so some of those who feel the etudes are one step beyond (to quote Suggs) might feel that a book of intermediate duets might be more their style. Dunno.

What do you all think? I am very open to suggestions, advice, etc.

Thanks in advance.

John

1) Anybody who uses Firefox as their browser can already convert your videos to MP3 (I did this and have been listening to them on my ipod, rather than on YouTube, while at work - without notation and a ukulele on hand!). But for the technologically challenged, or for those who don't use a browser that allows this, I think it could be useful. There are plenty of free .wav-to-.mp3 converters around.

2) YES PLEASE to the duets! I'm working on a duet with a friend right now (Bach's Minuet in G)... we had a really hard time finding any existing tab for ukulele duets at all (I found two Japanese books and nothing else).

pulelehua
07-18-2011, 11:25 AM
2) YES PLEASE to the duets! I'm working on a duet with a friend right now (Bach's Minuet in G)... we had a really hard time finding any existing tab for ukulele duets at all (I found two Japanese books and nothing else).

Great! Done. I think there are massive gaps in the ukulele repertoire. Or the lack thereof. Got excited. I've started a piece already. Thanks!

itsme
07-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Great! Done. I think there are massive gaps in the ukulele repertoire. Or the lack thereof. Got excited. I've started a piece already. Thanks!
Cool! I know janeray, I and others are really into classical fingerpicking and compared to other styles out there, the availability of classical tabs is pretty limited.

Earlier you mentioned uke/guitar duets, or are they going to be for two ukes? I'd be up for either since I play both, but I think duets for two ukes might have a broader audience.

There's a lot of good stuff out there that would lend itself to be transcribed for uke. That's something I'd like to take a stab at eventually, but haven't buckled down enough to get good at any particular tab program yet.

I think Vivaldi's mandolin concerto would sound great with two ukes. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhOOhIale6M

janeray1940
07-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Earlier you mentioned uke/guitar duets, or are they going to be for two ukes? I'd be up for either since I play both, but I think duets for two ukes might have a broader audience.

Good point. I was just *assuming* two ukes...

itsme
07-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah, and I'm just *assuming* that it would be easier for a classical uke player to find another uke player (or record both parts themselves) than it would be for them to find a classical guitarist to play with. :)

uker62
07-18-2011, 01:03 PM
I've just ordered these etudes. It is so cool on many points.
a) A UU connection has encouraged the production of this work.
b) These are 'ukulele specific etudes, not guitar etudes transcribed.
c) It's a joy to see the support provided by the author by the members of this forum.
d) We should all thank Aldrine and Ryan for the tremendous forum they have built.

uker62

sbarron
07-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Two questions:

Yes! Do this! Are you done? I'm waving my money around!

I'm definitely in for that. As if you haven't already given me years of material to work on ...

-Scott

pulelehua
07-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Well, while I have actually written a guitar/ukulele duet, my plan was for duets of just 2 ukuleles. I think that supports my own ukulele philosophy a bit more. The guitar/ukulele piece was actually for a student of mine for his farewell concert.

But I'm quite interested in ukulele duets, as it's a lot of music to squash into quite a tiny range, so there's a real challenge there. And, as I said, I think it might appeal to a bigger audience given that it will be at a more intermediate playing level.

As for Vivaldi, yes, that's a great piece. If I get into transcribing, I would certainly give that a go. That being said, I want to do Eine Kleine Nachtmusik for my school club. Langley Ukulele Ensemble, watch out!

Thanks for your responses, everyone!

marymac
07-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Hi John - got the etudes tonight and played out the first one. These are great! May I suggest a future set of compositions for low G uke? Or maybe one for bari tuning (DGBE)? I love the uke in all it's tunings. Thanks again - Mary

ADD
07-18-2011, 10:02 PM
1) Anybody who uses Firefox as their browser can already convert your videos to MP3 (I did this and have been listening to them on my ipod, rather than on YouTube, while at work - without notation and a ukulele on hand!). But for the technologically challenged, or for those who don't use a browser that allows this, I think it could be useful. There are plenty of free .wav-to-.mp3 converters around.

1) Techno challenged here and I know it shouldn't cause problems but Firefox messed up my computer - tried it twice. Uninstalled it. So yes to mp3.

2) Definite YES PLEASE to duets!!!

ADD
07-18-2011, 10:06 PM

Ditto. Thanks.

janeray1940
07-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Firefox messed up my computer - tried it twice. Uninstalled it.

Not to derail the thread too much but - the latest release of Firefox messed mine up too, and I'm *not* technologically challenged. I had to uninstall it and reinstall it twice before things settled down. I blamed myself for it due to my almost-irrational stubbornness at remaining a Windows Vista user, but perhaps the latest release was/is buggy...

pulelehua
07-19-2011, 06:58 AM
mp3s now available! Get 'em while they're hot. I've tried to give the signal some more headroom, so you might find they're a bit on the quiet side. But there shouldn't be any clipping. <crosses fingers>

www.ukulele101.co.uk

They come in 3 zipped files, and still take about 20MB of space, so you might need to clear your inboxes a bit.

Also got the first bit of the first duet into the notation software today. Shades of Mozart. Faint shades, some might say..... ;)

pulelehua
07-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi John - got the etudes tonight and played out the first one. These are great! May I suggest a future set of compositions for low G uke? Or maybe one for bari tuning (DGBE)? I love the uke in all it's tunings. Thanks again - Mary

Just realised you're the cat ukulele girl! Love that one. Especially the paw prints.

As for other tunings, I actually don't have easy access to a low G as I only own one ukulele with solid intonation. There is a bari at school. It's a possibility, but I think I'm going to focus on re-entrant for the time being. Sorry. :(

I feel like I need to attack that one thing until I feel I have it sussed quite a bit more. I'm not yet quite "thinking in re-entrant" as much as I'd like. There's still some fluency missing.

marymac
07-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Just realised you're the cat ukulele girl! Love that one. Especially the paw prints.

As for other tunings, I actually don't have easy access to a low G as I only own one ukulele with solid intonation. There is a bari at school. It's a possibility, but I think I'm going to focus on re-entrant for the time being. Sorry. :(

I feel like I need to attack that one thing until I feel I have it sussed quite a bit more. I'm not yet quite "thinking in re-entrant" as much as I'd like. There's still some fluency missing.

Thanks - I love my paw prints too :)

I admire your ability to really focus on one thing (reentrant) until you really absorb it. I like to jump around to different things. I'd buy 'em if you ever get around to some other tunings though!

CTurner
07-19-2011, 11:43 AM
I understand and sympathize with your lack of a low G uke, but maybe if you sell a few more Etude books that can be your next step. : )
I would like to urge you to consider low G selections as well. With your focus and ear, I think we low G players could benefit wonderfully.

pulelehua
07-19-2011, 11:47 AM
If I sell enough ukulele music to afford a new ukulele, that would be beyond my wildest expectations. :) That would be amazing.

pulelehua
07-20-2011, 09:22 AM
I've almost got the first duet done! It's been fun. So different. When I wrote the etudes, I could, of course, play the whole thing at once. With the duets, it's much more "in the head" composing. And I have to constantly make sure that both parts are idiomatic, genuinely ukulele-ish.

Here comes ANOTHER steep learning curve!

Well, I have a month forced holiday starting next week, as I'll be in California, and won't have access to notation software.

I WILL still be able to e-mail stuff out, though. For those... interested. :)

pulelehua
09-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Well, the summer holidays are over, and I've been working on some requests made by you lovely people:

1. Make the etudes available individually. Some people have expressed interest in a particular etude, but not the whole set. Others have just wanted to try one or two out before getting the lot.
2. Expand the website so that it has more information about the pieces, including performance advice. So, the website is hugely expanded (let's face it - it was pretty tiny before ;) ), with a separate page for each etude, giving some background, a link to the "video", and some advice.

I've done those 2 things. The next possible step is to add some tutorial videos. I'm going to wait and see if there's interest in that before pursuing it, as it's going to be quite time consuming, and without interest, it would be a lot of sound and fury signifying... well, you know.

So, hope that helps those of you out there who have been so supportive of my efforts.

(Also hoping to record the first duet soon..........)

Thanks.

John

pulelehua
09-07-2011, 07:28 PM
If any of you went to the site, and it was a mess, it is feeling much better now!

Note to self: never mix Dreamweaver and private XHTML coding...

Jon Moody
09-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Definitely going to have to pick this up when payday rolls around again. Great idea, and great songs!

pulelehua
09-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Definitely going to have to pick this up when payday rolls around again. Great idea, and great songs!

Thanks! They were great fun to write. So much so, that I'm writing a new book as we speak!

pulelehua
09-08-2011, 08:33 AM
I've been thinking that the back of the Etudes is a bit... well, it's blank. If any of those out there playing the Etudes wanted to drop a testimonial/quote (here or by PM), I'll put it on the back. Well, I'll put a few. 3 or 4.

YES! Your name in print!

(And of course, I'd send you a PDF of the etudes with your words :) )

If you've sent anything previously, either here or on YouTube, or Facebook, which would be ok to use, please let me know. I don't want to do anything without your permission.

Thanks in advance.

John

Jon Moody
09-09-2011, 03:11 PM
It actually inspired me to take an old jig I wrote on guitar and arrange it for uke. I've got the basics of it down, just want to start fleshing it out a bit more.

pulelehua
09-10-2011, 02:36 AM
Not sure I've ever been inspiring. Garsh... :o

pulelehua
10-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Jens, a German ukulele player, has posted the first "not-me" video of one of the etudes. And, given that he has a video camera (I do not) you can actually SEE him playing! I thought this might be handy for people who need a visual. It certainly shows how little movement is necessary for some of the etudes.

And his facial expressions are priceless. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WgCD0uxPLQ

marymac
10-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Whoa - very nice! I'm still playing it slow but it sounds really nice at high speed too!

Jon Moody
10-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Glad that this popped back up top. Reminded me to grab a copy and load it onto the iPad to use. Can't wait!

pulelehua
10-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Glad that this popped back up top. Reminded me to grab a copy and load it onto the iPad to use. Can't wait!

Would an Epub version be better for the iPad? (The PDF should be with you now) I don't have any sort of reader, but have generated an Epub and would love to know if it works formatting-wise. Obviously, it would be best if I could see it myself, but I am nowhere near the wonderfully named Kalamazoo.

The file is at work, and I wouldn't be able to send it until next week.

Thanks,

John

Jon Moody
10-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Would an Epub version be better for the iPad? (The PDF should be with you now) I don't have any sort of reader, but have generated an Epub and would love to know if it works formatting-wise. Obviously, it would be best if I could see it myself, but I am nowhere near the wonderfully named Kalamazoo.

Thanks,

John

Possibly. The app I'm using on the iPad is forScore, which is a sheet music viewer that can use PDF files just fine. It also allows you to mark them up like you would if it was a real score. I'm getting ready to take this set up into the pit for a couple of shows, and have no issues with it (although I'll be keeping the hard copies with me, just in case).

You can send on the ePub file if you want, but I don't think I need it for my application.

sbarron
10-27-2011, 01:24 AM

Thanks,

John

I use the PDF on the iPad all time - looks great in iBooks.

-Scott

Jon Moody
10-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Just loaded it into forScore with NO problem. It works well, and the tunes are really lovely.

philpot
10-28-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm totally going to purchase this when I have the money. Those are beautiful!!

pulelehua
10-30-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm totally going to purchase this when I have the money. Those are beautiful!!

Thanks, Phil!

pulelehua
10-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Just loaded it into forScore with NO problem. It works well, and the tunes are really lovely.

I've just sent you the ePUb file. Fingers crossed..... <gulp>

Jon Moody
01-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Just recorded the first etude. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/HnQy_fAfZ24

Olarte
01-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Very nice Etudes. I just found this thread, and put my order in.

They remind me of Brouwer and Villa-Lobos Etudes for guitar. And that my friend is a Huge compliment of your work...

As a Classical Guitarist, these along with Jamie Holding's great work are perfect as I expand into classical music on the Uke.

I just put the order in, and anticipate getting them along with the mp3s.

Two suggestions:

For delivery of the mp3s you might want to consider dropbox its pretty secure, and you can just email the link to download the 20mb file after payment.

It would be great to offer videos on YouTube as I find them, invaluable when learning cool pled pieces.

I often video my guitar teacher for parts of new pieces then slow the video on my iPad to analyze the technique at home.

Two great programs for this on the iPad are:

Skowdowner foe slowing down mp3 files

Speeduptv for slowing down video files.

Nice work, and thank you.

Ivan

Update:

Just received the Etudes and MP3.

Mahalo!
Ivan

Olarte
01-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Hey One Bad Monkey (love the screen name)

Thanks for sharing your video. nice Job!!

Also by posting this, it brought the original thread to my attention and after reading it through and checking out the various Etudes, I quickly put my order in. As a Classical guitarist, these are perfect for my journey on the Uke.

Ivan

pulelehua
01-07-2012, 08:58 AM

Nicely done! You actually play the chord interludes the way I originally played them. A bit more aggressive. Thanks very much for sharing your work! I can't tell you what a thrill it is to see people play your music on Youtube.

Looking forward to the next installment... ;)

pulelehua
01-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Very nice Etudes. I just found this thread, and put my order in.

They remind me of Brouwer and Villa-Lobos Etudes for guitar. And that my friend is a Huge compliment of your work...

As a Classical Guitarist, these along with Jamie Holding's great work are perfect as I expand into classical music on the Uke.

I just put the order in, and anticipate getting them along with the mp3s.

Two suggestions:

For delivery of the mp3s you might want to consider dropbox its pretty secure, and you can just email the link to download the 20mb file after payment.

It would be great to offer videos on YouTube as I find them, invaluable when learning cool pled pieces.

I often video my guitar teacher for parts of new pieces then slow the video on my iPad to analyze the technique at home.

Two great programs for this on the iPad are:

Skowdowner foe slowing down mp3 files

Speeduptv for slowing down video files.

Nice work, and thank you.

Ivan

Update:

Just received the Etudes and MP3.

Mahalo!
Ivan

Ivan,

Wow! I studied with a friend whose two biggest influences were Brouwer and Villa-Lobos. I had known a bit of Villa-Lobos before then, but Brouwer was totally new to me. To be spoken about in the same sentence as them is quite an honour! Thanks so much.

John

And thanks for the technical tips! I'll look into them.

pulelehua
01-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Does anyone know Benjamin Stanhope?

He just ordered the etudes, but I keep getting Delivery Failure when I try to send them to the e-mail address given. I have a postal address, but it seems that with a little luck, we could resolve this more quickly than relying on Royal Mail.

Thanks in hopeful advance!

John

Jon Moody
01-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Hey One Bad Monkey (love the screen name)

Thanks for sharing your video. nice Job!!

Also by posting this, it brought the original thread to my attention and after reading it through and checking out the various Etudes, I quickly put my order in. As a Classical guitarist, these are perfect for my journey on the Uke.

Ivan

Glad that it allowed you to find the etudes! I've studied the Bach Cello Suites for a number of years, and have found these as challenging but exciting to work through and learn.

Nicely done! You actually play the chord interludes the way I originally played them. A bit more aggressive. Thanks very much for sharing your work! I can't tell you what a thrill it is to see people play your music on Youtube.

Looking forward to the next installment... ;)

Thank you sir! I liked the more aggressive nature of the chords; it complements the lightness of the other parts.

It was a lot of fun to learn, more so to play! I'm probably not going to go in order, but I have been working on a couple of them off and on, between gigs.

pulelehua
03-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Sorry for the bandwidth.

I just wanted to make clear that the Ukulele Etudes are a PDF file. They are not, at present, a solid book which can be mailed to you.

There are a lot of reasons for this, mostly due to the cost of producing said book.

They are a PDF file, which you can print at your leisure. I actually think this is a nice arrangement, as if you want to learn a particular etude, you just print that page or pages. Trees are saved, etc.

I just had a very nice woman who was disappointed to find that there was not a book in the post, and I'd like to avoid that disappointment in future.

Thanks for your time.

John Watson