May need to buy a Concert Ukulele

PedalFreak

Reaction score
I've been working on some John King songs, and I'm thinking I need to add a Concert or a long neck soprano to my collection for these songs, they're a little tougher on Tenor's. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

What are your favorite concerts, and why? Any suggestions to look at? I've researched Tenor's to death, but not much on concerts.

I only have a Makala Concert...but if I were looking for a new one, KoAloha would be at the top of the list!!!!

+1 KoAloha

Of the concerts I have had, my favorite is Kanile'a. Excellent tone, projection, feel and finish. You can usually get a nice one used under $600. Strumsilly likes his Kiwaya concert. Never tried one, but based on their sopranos, I think Kiwaya concerts would be good.

What is your budget? Any particular wood?

I think I have seen more recomendations for a Koaloha Concert than just about anything. I have one and agree it is a great 'ukulele. If you had the time and $$$ I would go with a Moore Bettah, that is by far my favorite 'ukulele. For quality and value Koaloha all they way. Probably could get a second too. I got mine straight from the shop at a dicounted price.

Well, you already know what mine are :) As for why... when I was shopping around, I considered each of the three big K brands. I borrowed a Kanile'a concert for a short time and ruled that one out because the neck is thicker than others, and I find the Kanile'a sound to be more muted (at least based on the small sample I've heard). I think the Koaloha concert is a great instrument - sounds fantastic, easy to play, and really light - but I just don't like the design aesthetically. I already loved my Kamaka soprano, so I went with the concert and there has been no looking back.

I just re-strung three of my ukes with Martin M600s and the John King pieces I play sound really good on them - the sustain with these strings is amazing and really suits the campanela style.

As for King's songs being tougher on a tenor - I'd say your story is spot-on. I just started playing sopranos again after months of playing concerts exclusively, and some of those pieces are a lot more manageable for me on a smaller neck.

+1 KoAloha

I was thinking about a KoAloha, they seem to be everyone's concert of choice. But personally I don't like how plain they are. I LOVE Koa, but prefer it to be curly, don't care too much for plain Koa.

Actually if this KoAloha Tenor comes up for sale again, I'll be all over it :D

Of the concerts I have had, my favorite is Kanile'a. Excellent tone, projection, feel and finish. You can usually get a nice one used under $600. Strumsilly likes his Kiwaya concert. Never tried one, but based on their sopranos, I think Kiwaya concerts would be good.

What is your budget? Any particular wood?

Budget, probably try to stay in the $600-700 range, may be able to go up to $800. I've been selling off a bunch of Electric Guitar equipment that doesnt get used to fund some ukuleles :D

It's going to need to be a true Concert scale, just because of what I'm going to use it for.

Yeah Jane, Kamaka was my first choice :D But wanted to see what I could be missing. Sopranos for me, outside of open position are tough to play. My hands are too big for them. I love them for just strumming songs, but anything past the 5th fret and the fret spacing is too close for me.

I was thinking about a KoAloha, they seem to be everyone's concert of choice. But personally I don't like how plain they are. I LOVE Koa, but prefer it to be curly, don't care too much for plain Koa.

Yeah Jane, Kamaka was my first choice :D

To me most Kamaka's seem just as 'plain' as Koaloha's and in your budget (600 to 700) it would seem, to me, that a curly Koa concert might be harder to find new.

After deciding to focus entirely on playing the tenor scale, I sold all
Of my concerts. Except for one, my KoAloha. Fantastic instrument. I don't think I will ever sell it.

To me most Kamaka's seem just as 'plain' as Koaloha's and in your budget (600 to 700) it would seem, to me, that a curly Koa concert might be harder to find new.

Koaloha
ksm02112010.jpg

Kamaka
kamaka101667.jpg

These are two long neck Soprano's I've found. I prefer the looks of the Kamaka, it has some curl in it. Koaloha's always seem so straight.

I Prefer the Kamaka headstock and inlaid logo of the two you show, but I love the way the dark grain of the bookmatch on the KoAloha lines up with the fretboard. Nice work by the luthier, Paul?

Koaloha
ksm02112010.jpg

Kamaka
kamaka101667.jpg

These are two long neck Soprano's I've found. I prefer the looks of the Kamaka, it has some curl in it. Koaloha's always seem so straight.

That Kamaka is a concert long neck. They mislabeled it. Which store is this? I forget but I've seen it before. Isn't it $1090?

Ah, yep: Acoustic Vibes- it's a HF-2LK. Not a soprano body.

Last edited:
After deciding to focus entirely on playing the tenor scale, I sold all
Of my concerts. Except for one, my KoAloha. Fantastic instrument. I don't think I will ever sell it.

I was gonna sell my Koaloha concert some months back and dkcrown talked me out it. Thanks for that. It is a beast! So glad I held onto it, and I'll likely never sell mine, either.

....... Budget, probably try to stay in the $600-700 range, may be able to go up to $800. .......

That's a good buget. Since you have a Kamaka and a Pono already, I'd rule out Kamaka and Ko'olau.
You might consider some other luthier-made ukes: MP, Kepasa, Pohaku, etc.

KoAloha concert ukes are consistently good players. The one I had just didn't match the sound I was looking for. I sold it, no regrets as there are plenty of them around.

What kind of sound do you like (traditional uke, more modern distinct tones, old-timey twangy-plinky, ...)?

Last edited:
The John King songs do benefit from a concert scale for me. I can play some of them on the super concert, especially ones where the fingers get crammed together on the 7th fret and higher. On the other hand, there are some songs where 2227 is just easier on a concert/ soprano scale.

My favorite concerts
Mainland Mango Concert (great sound for the price, woodgrain plain, but rope binding very nicely done)
Concert Neck Flea (Great kick around, run to the uke group, go anywhere with no worries)
Kanile'a Super Concert (really beautiful uke, but need to test drive to get best combination of dramatic looks with excellent sound). Someday, I would love to add a Kanile'a long neck soprano to my collection. But I would have to buy it in person.

I don't have any Ohana concert sized ukes yet, but the tenor I have is really nice. Ohana offers more exotic woodgrains and details than many other manufacturers.

–Lori

That Kamaka is a concert long neck. They mislabeled it. Which store is this? I forget but I've seen it before. Isn't it $1090?

Ah, yep: Acoustic Vibes- it's a HF-2LK. Not a soprano body.

Good catch! Didn't even catch the headstock/tuners :)

That's a good buget. Since you have a Kamaka and a Pono already, I'd rule out Kamaka and Ko'olau.
You might consider some other luthier-made ukes: MP, Kepasa, Pohaku, etc.

KoAloha concert ukes are consistently good players. The one I had just didn't match the sound I was looking for. I sold it, no regrets as there are plenty of them around.

What kind of sound do you like (traditional uke, more modern distinct tones, old-timey twangy-plinky, ...)?

I prefer a warm sound, but a sound that has note definition. If that makes sense :)

Aloha PedalFreak,
So that your story huh...ha ha..I love My Mike Perriera concert madagascar rosewood back and sides and spruce top..with Koolau alohi strings...that warm my baby up...MM Stan

Top Bottom