Best traditional off the shelf Soprano made today.

wearymicrobe

Reaction score
Any idea's on who is making the best traditional bodied full Koa soprano's right now for pure strumming? I have been looking at the usual K brand suspects and I have not been blown away. Have not had a chance to give a Ko'aloha a swing yet. This is just for basic on the porch style playing no recording or anything else, just for fun.

Looking for a really laid back sound, something with astonishingly good wood but not to much bling. Like to keep it under 3K if possible. The few that have played my ukes know my taste.

Any idea's on who is making the best traditional bodied full Koa soprano's right now for pure strumming? I have been looking at the usual K brand suspects and I have not been blown away. Have not had a chance to give a Ko'aloha a swing yet. This is just for basic on the porch style playing no recording or anything else, just for fun.

Looking for a really laid back sound, something with astonishingly good wood but not to much bling. Like to keep it under 3K if possible. The few that have played my ukes know my taste.

How about a .3K? Brad Donaldson make awesome koa ukes. find him here under bradford.

I played with a Brad Donaldson (thanks to Ukeeku) at UWC quite a bit and it is something really special!

Well you might consider ... Ko'olau, Kiwaya and LoPrinzi ukuleles. We often build to order LoPrinzi ukuleles so you get a chance to do some customizing . The model A series is a bargain in the koa world and it's made in USA. We like the aNuiNui 1879 for a classic too, Ah we like a lot of them:)

Well you might consider ... Ko'olau, Kiwaya and LoPrinzi ukuleles. We often build to order LoPrinzi ukuleles so you get a chance to do some customizing . The model A series is a bargain in the koa world and it's made in USA. We like the aNuiNui 1879 for a classic too, Ah we like a lot of them:)

I like the aNuiNui 1879 big time, but I am not a soprano guy.

Aloha WearyMicrobe,
Depends greatly on you budget...premimums or customs....or lower level ukes... for off the shelf and for the best deal for your money.....KAMAKA...

Budget is under 3000$ us. Like I put in the first post. I have tried all of the K brands and find them a little lacking. Well at least not up to my spec, most are not custom ones though. I really don't want to have to go through the wait this time of ordering another custom so needs to be in stock or easy to get a hold of.

Budget is under 3000$ us. Like I put in the first post. I have tried all of the K brands and find them a little lacking. Well at least not up to my spec, most are not custom ones though. I really don't want to have to go through the wait this time of ordering another custom so needs to be in stock or easy to get a hold of.
What kind of sound are you looking for....when you get in the custom range and spend alot of money..and order one, you won't know what you are getting until you play it...
I would go to a High end music shop as Pua Pua and try all the ones out and pick the sound you like best...without looking at the builders or brands.. so far Lymana is the best I played...

For that budget, can get a MooreBettah...... with as little "bling" as you like!

If that's your budget and the K brands are lacking then stop looking at production ukes and just go through the wait. I think your standards are incredibly high if a K brand is still lacking, so you really need to work with someone who will build your uke to be exactly the way you want it. It really doesn't sound like you'll be happy with anything less.

Order a custom $2000 Uke and pay the extra $1000 for them to rush it, haha!

If that's your budget and the K brands are lacking then stop looking at production ukes and just go through the wait.

Agreed. I lucked out and a local luthier had a show piece he was willing to sell to me. But now that I've seen the difference, I'd gladly wait the 120 hours it takes him to craft one.

best soprano i ever owned for sound and looks i waited three and a half years for.... a copy i a Dias Soprano made about the year 1899-1900's Made by the one of the best Dave Means. Here are photos of the original I am trying to find pics of Dave's copy

081-1.jpg

078-3.jpg

077-1.jpg

082-2.jpg

Last edited:
Here GLYPH UKULELE by Dave means copy made for me

mgmtop_800x466.jpg

mgmback_800x466.jpg

Dave Means is not taking orders at this time.
Regards,
Ray

a Nue Nue 1879

A great uke based on a Nunes design. I played 10-12 sopranos when I bought this and the 1879 was head and shoulders above every one. Great looking koa, peghead tuners and great sound!

A great uke based on a Nunes design. I played 10-12 sopranos when I bought this and the 1879 was head and shoulders above every one. Great looking koa, peghead tuners and great sound!

What makes this one so special? I've heard some of the Youtube's and it seems to sound fantastic?

Is it made in China?

Top Bottom