Need Help With Uncle Rod's Boot Camp

ScottyDaug

Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently purchased my first ukulele, a Kala Solid Acacia Tenor. I have limited musical instrument experience. From what I have read on the forums Boot Camp seems like a good place to start. I did OK through, C, Am, and F, but the next chord G7, has 0212 for the finger placement. I must be missing something, because that seems physically impossible. I noticed that other chords have similar placements, like Cdim (2323). I know there must be something obvious I'm missing. I would appreciate any help. This is my first post. This forum is going to be a great resource.

Thank You,
Scott

The numbers are the frets, NOT fingers.
Hope this helps, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

Thanks SailingUke, that makes sense. However I'm still a little confused, the guidelines say, "Finger numbers ( 1 – index, 2 – middle, 3 – ring, 4 – pinky ) indicate a conventional way to form the chords.", but I don't see any finger numbers on the chart. Am I still missing something? Sorry to be such a noob. :) Thanks.

Last edited:
As Sailinguke says those are the fret numbers not finger numbers. In your example, there are no finger numbers. I'm a noob, too, and use a plastic chord chart that shows the finger placement. However, keep in mind that there can be alternate fingerings to what is shown on charts. FWIW

Aloha ScottyDaug,
Welcome to the UU and our forums...and the ukulele....google musicteacher2010 for awesome ukulele video tutorials and Dr Uke for songs, chords and instructions..Have fun and enjoy,,,,Happy
Strummings.. Uncle Rod is the best!!! here is a chord chart for you... http://www.ukulelestrummers.com/Firstpositionchords.html#FIFTH PAGE Good Luck, MM Stan

Last edited:
Sorry to confuse you with the numbers. The finger numbers were only for the C F and G7 on that one page.

All the other numbers are, as mentioned above, fret numbers, ie where the dots go on the diagrams. 4 strings
and 4 fingers and 4 numbers can lead to a lot of confusion. Again I apologize.

Most of the numbers you'll be seeing will probably be fret numbers and that seems to be a conventional way
to communicate chord forms, esp. long distance, it when you can't see how the other person is forming the
chord from across the room! ( "Hey, it's 2323" vs "hold your fingerss like 'this').

I hope the chord changing exercises help you learn the chords and especially the chord changes. After all that's
the essence of ukulele playing... for strumming and singing anyway.

Keep uke'in',

I knew it wouldn't be long before you showed up, ScottyDaug.

LOL, I work with ScottyDaug, he had saved me from myself. He bought that Tenor before I made a deposit on it. I know his wife is not liking me now. BTW, I didn't mess up your desk this afternoon........

Uncle Rod, thanks for the response, and Thank you for the excellent Boot Camp chord sheets.

Top Bottom