Steel String

Ukulele Etc.

Reaction score
Although I'm sure many of you will hate me for this, I really want to build a steel string electric ukulele this summer. I really like the sound of it; however, I don't like the price.

The problem is, I don't really know what I'm doing. I know I need to use magnetic pickups but I don't know specifics (active vs. passive, etc.) Also would a mainland neck be able to stand the pressure of the steel strings and what should the body be made of and where can I find a body or materials for one. Finally how could I wire the pickup into the body with volume and tone knobs.

Would it be possible to modify a small electric guitar?

Again, I would appreciate any insight, even if it's to tell me I am nuts.

You're not nuts. You can get everything you need here in kit form. The scale of the mandolin is the same as a soprano uke, the mandola is close to a concert uke. Tune these instruments in GCEA and you've got yourself an electric ukulele.

Thanks a lot mzuch, I'll look into that, it seems really doable for me.

If you dig through the Moongazer site you see that it's possible to order all the parts separately too. By ordering a body blank you could shape it like a uke instead of a mandolin. Very cool!

A ten dollar coping saw and some sand paper will do it...it is the long way, but it will work

Top Bottom