Need some input...

mthurman52

Reaction score
So things are not the best financially at the time and I am having to part with most my ukes. I can only afford to own one at the time. I am saving up little by little for a "K" brand tenor or concert in the future...but I need a uke to play while saving. I play songs that go past the frets on a soprano uke...but I love the sound and portability of them! My question I guess is should I go ahead and buy a soprano uke such as the Martin S-1 or similar and continue saving for a "K" tenor/concert? If I decide to go with the soprano I am limited on the songs I can play...but I still want a smaller uke! The other option is not buying a soprano so I can buy a "K" brand concert or tenor earlier and that be my only uke!

I don't know if this makes any sense but your input is greatly appreciated! Man I wish I could afford all the ukes I wanted!! :D

Last edited:
Two words: Be careful.

Two cents: Sounds like UAS may be affecting your finances, hence the warning above.

If you need to part with some of your ukuleles for financial reasons, do so as soon as possible. Keep your best player during the process. Do not buy another ukulele until (1) you have "cleaned house" and (2) you have the money together---even if this requires additional time post-sales to save up.

UAS can cause grief rather than joy. Don't let that happen if at all possible. One playable ukulele is all any of us need.

Of course, if any of that advice doesn't apply or isn't welcome, ignore it and do your thing. Hopefully it'll help another UU member.

Two more cents: Of course you should be saving up for a Martin S-1---that fretboard is beautiful! Or if you happen upon a used recent Kamaka soprano---16 frets is pretty good, too.

Remember what UAS really is, the inability to be happy with what you have. No one but a musician who plays a lot has a real need for more than one or two instruments. Take the advice above if you are wise. . . sell off what you need to and keep the one you play most, and be glad you have it. Ask yourself why you really need a K model if you like the one you have. Remember Willy Nelson's Martin guitar, the one with the gaping hole in the soundboard, yet he won't part with it because it is still great, and holds a lot of memories. Make memories on what you have! A $600 instrument will make you no better than what you are already, but will make you poorer! In all things, learn to be content, and you will be a happy person!

Since $$$ is tight, I would keep saving for a "K" brand uke. Cause when you get that "K" brand uke you will very very happy for a long time!!!!

There are plenty of sopranos out there with 15+ frets. My Koloa soprano (with a wider-than-usual neck) has 16 frets, is solid mahogany, and cost me $89. I've been pleased with it as a knock-around uke that I keep at work, but I took it to UWC this year and several people who played with it were pleasantly surprised by it. If you need something cheap but well made it's worth checking out and will help you save your cash until you can get the K...

Sounds like you need a soprano anyway. While saving up I would get myself a versatile soprano that will also serve its purpose after the K-Brand arrives. Like a longneck Flea e.g.: longer fretboard, soprano sound, outdoor-ready. At least, thats what I´d do.

I would go straight for that k brand. Unless you want a martin more. Go with which one will make you happier.

Top Bottom