PDA

View Full Version : Key of B flat

Sunny_0ne
06-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Ugh! Just need to vent a little.

I'm in Hal Leonard's Ukulele Method Book 2, trying to learn to play in the key of B flat.

I haven't had much trouble with the keys of C, G, D and F, but the B flat chords are really hurting my hand! And I rarely hit a B flat 7th chord that sounds like anything but thumps. I do a little better with the other chords up the neck, but not much.

Hope someone will tell me that this will pass. If I weren't so hard-headed, I'd just skip this key! :)

brucemoffatt
06-17-2011, 01:38 PM
If I weren't so hard-headed, I'd just skip this key! :)

Your 'hard headedness' is a great asset. Others call it perseverance, having a strong will, reliability. Many of us wish we had it and admire people like you. You are an achiever. Keep that hard head, ensure your fingers get good rest, make sure you play with relaxed hands as much as possible, and accept that Bb will take longer than C to master. But you surely will master it, and be proud when you do.

Huna
06-17-2011, 02:00 PM
well see if your strings are too high at the nut. If you press a string at the third fret and it has a large gap over the first fret, then you can lower the string by filing the nut slot.

And also keep practicing bar chords.

Sunny_0ne
06-17-2011, 03:04 PM
brucemoffatt, thanks for the encouraging words. That's what I needed to hear (and was probably fishing for). :) I am pretty persistent usually, but I did hit a low spot with that key and needed a motivation boost.

Huna, I think my strings are probably okay. Mike at Mainland set it up for me and I haven't had any problems with the other keys. I have read that Aquilas are higher tension and that might be contributing to how hard the B flat seventh on the first fret is for me.

I seem to do okay with the bar chords like D, but the ones where I have to keep my finger above the third string to keep from muting it are still hard for me.

So I'll keep on working on it. :)

GKK
06-17-2011, 05:41 PM
When I started playing about 4 months ago, I had a hard time with B and Bb.

I kept practicing songs I liked and some of the Boot Camp exercises and one day I could do B and Bb much easier!...Also, when I first looked at the Boot Camp chords, I said, "No Way!"...and now I can do all the chords which I thought were impossible. Be patient and it'll come to you.

Sunny_0ne
06-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Be patient and it'll come to you.

Patience is the hard part! :)

I'm trying to play a whole bunch of songs by ear in that key just to help me get more comfortable with them. They still don't sound great, but it's a lot more fun than doing the exercises in the book! Once I get a little more comfortable with them, I'll go back to the lessons.

Coconut Willie
06-18-2011, 06:25 AM
Just takes some time and lots of practice. Play the chord slowly and pay attention to your finger placement. Trust me you will get it, this is not a real easy chord to pick up but once you do...watch out!!

jungleturtle
06-18-2011, 07:28 AM
The hand position for Bb on the uke is the same as for F on a guitar. If you think it's hard to make that chord shape on a uke you should try it on a guitar! And being that it's F on guitar it's a pretty crucial one for playing in the key of C. Their are other options for playing the F on guitar, but they're not much easier. It's a real stumper for beginning guitar players and I'd guess discourages a lot of people from progressing further. None of which helps you, but anyway, after learning this chord shape on guitar I discovered it to be a lot easier on uke. Keep with it; you'll get it.

Shastastan
06-18-2011, 08:47 AM
The hand position for Bb on the uke is the same as for F on a guitar. If you think it's hard to make that chord shape on a uke you should try it on a guitar! And being that it's F on guitar it's a pretty crucial one for playing in the key of C. It's a real stumper for beginning guitar players and I'd guess discourages a lot of people from progressing further. None of which helps you, but anyway, after learning this chord shape on guitar I discovered it to be a lot easier on uke. Keep with it; you'll get it.

Many thanks for your encouragement on this. I quit the guitar because I couldn't get it and, as you say, it's an important chord. I'm very new to uke and was oh so happy at how easy the F chord is on uke. I'm not to Bb yet, but I guess forwarned is forarmed.

mm stan
06-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Aloha Stan,
I always say...Practice, Persistance, and Perserverence is equal to ukulele passion...Keep up watching You tube Uke videos for inspiration and motivation...
Oh by the way, the F key principal chords...1, 4, 5 chords has a Bb in it..and it sounds soo nice...F, Bb, F7... put a C7 in there too..ha ha Happy Strummings..MM Stan
Yes parctice builds you finger memory, finger coordination and dexterity......

hapuna
06-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Skip it you won't notice it.:D

Sunny_0ne
06-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Skip it you won't notice it.

ROFLOL! Too late! :D