What do you guys think about the Oscar Schmidt OU5 Concert Ukulele ??

The one I borrowed from my brother to check out is flat and lifeless. He didn't like it, either. Others have higher opinions, perhaps because they got some better wood or found the right set of strings to make it ring. Get several opinions before you make a decision!

what is your opinion for a concert. that isnt too expenise between 100-200 but is not dull looking either

They look good, sound good, comfortable to play. overall, good value and good taste in my opinion.

Aloha....
For that price range, I got a KPK deluxe Concert and a Vineyard Zebrawood deluxe Concert. To me they both sound the same, the KPK is louder, the Vineyard's playability is much better, but like both of them................BO.................

As a Luna owner, I agree with Kissing. For the cost, they sound really nice. Mine's a soprano though, so I suppose the concert ones could be different.

I tried a Luna Concert at a store, and really liked the sound, and the look. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend. I then found an Anuenue Papa I Long neck Soprano. Sounded better, and cost less. Not as fancy looking, but it plays great for me. It has the same neck length and fret spacing as a concert, but the body of a Soprano. Not as many out there, but consider that style as an option also.

If the Luna hadn't been a bit over my budget, i may have bought that one. So, I would recommend Anuenue or Luna as strong possibilities for you. Anuenue makes a regular concert Uke under $200 also. They do make more expensive ones, but they have nice Ukes under $200.

Hope that helps!

Tom

i can get the luna concert for about 90 though and the long neck soprano for 200..so i think the luna would be a better choice, i just dont know whether to choose the soprano or concert..

Anyone who said the OU5 is sonically "dead" must have had the factory strings on. I have one and although it is not loud, it has a lovely resonance and a sweet sound with Aquila concert strings on it. Not sure though I'd pay retail for one. I've seen used ones go for as little as $85 and seen a few "clones" made by/for other companies like Kohala that probably sound the same. You got lots of advice here. You can get a less pretty Ohana solid mahogany for $189!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>Anyone who said the OU5 is sonically "dead" must have had the factory strings on.<<<<

For the record, my Oscar Schmidt OU5 sounded "dead" with Aquilas on it. But also for the record, the last few sets of Aquilas I have purchased have been kind of dead of ANY instrument. I am not the first person to remark about the OU5's deadness, though. And you will find some who have found just the right set of strings for them and are very pleased with the tone. I think the bottom line is that this ukulele thing is all trial and error!

>>>>Anyone who said the OU5 is sonically "dead" must have had the factory strings on.<<<<

For the record, my Oscar Schmidt OU5 sounded "dead" with Aquilas on it. But also for the record, the last few sets of Aquilas I have purchased have been kind of dead of ANY instrument. I am not the first person to remark about the OU5's deadness, though. And you will find some who have found just the right set of strings for them and are very pleased with the tone. I think the bottom line is that this ukulele thing is all trial and error!

I'll take your word for it, but having read a lot of reviews on OS, haven't actually heard anyone say they are sonically dead unless they had the factory strings. You are right, that's why we try and play'em first.

My OU5 sounded like a plank. When I had the Aquilas on it, it sounded like a plank with Aquilas on it. It is now a wallhanger.

Top Bottom