PDA

View Full Version : Clip-on digital ukulele tuners?

UkeCanDoIt!
08-12-2008, 11:14 AM
In one of the videos, I saw Aldrine talk about the Play On digital tuner. I did a Google search for Play On and found nothing. Anyone know where to get these or if there are other tuners you recommend? Thanks!

h-drix
08-12-2008, 11:22 AM
check music guy mic on ebay or elderly instraments. both are great for accessories and such, MGM is a god amoung ukesters round these parts.

hoosierhiver
08-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Bushman sells a good one.

hotnanas
08-12-2008, 11:37 AM
i use my Korg chromatic tuner and love it.

link to it, but they are available locally at just about any guitar/music store. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-CA30-Chromatic-Tuner?sku=210527&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26019574

NotoriousMOK
08-12-2008, 12:03 PM
I use one like THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com/FZONE-FT-800-Clip-on-tuner-Ukulele-guitar-mandolin_W0QQitemZ250281922107QQihZ015QQcategoryZ1 6224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262) and it works just peachy -- I've also got a Korg like the one listed above -- both work well. I found that I could also use the Korg in a noisy environment if I held it against the soundboard of the uke, of course you could also just plug into it if you have a pickup.

have fun!

remy
08-12-2008, 01:00 PM
I found mine on amazon. Works fine for my purposes!

http://www.amazon.com/4-STRING-UKULELE-ELECTRONIC-DIGITAL-TUNER/dp/B000WEH44Y/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1218578309&sr=8-8

upskydowncloud
08-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey I used my ukulele teacher's clip on tuner, it was so good I bought myself one! It's an IMT-500 Intelli Clip on tuner, I bought mine on eBay from a seller called thefretstore for $17.95 - a really good price!

Link to Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IMT-500-INTELLI-CLIP-ON-LCD-GUITAR-VIOLIN-BANJO-TUNER_W0QQitemZ370074905965QQihZ024QQcategoryZ2267 2QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)

Nurdaben
08-12-2008, 01:37 PM
just head to your local music store and ask what tuners they have. all of them do the job just fine. but make sure its one of the small clip on ones.

polynesianpop
08-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Here's the Play On (http://cgi.ebay.com/Clip-on-Chromatic-Guitar-Tuner-Back-Lit-72-Picks_W0QQitemZ160269390875QQihZ006QQcategoryZ6438 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) tuner. But if you just type in "Clip On Tuner" in eBay a bunch of different brands will come up. They all do the same thing and some are cheaper than the Play On.

SnakeOiler
08-12-2008, 08:43 PM
They rule. One of the greatest inventions of the 21st century. Unfortunately , I left mine behind tonight at an open mic. I'm going to buy a new one immediately.

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-13-2008, 12:04 AM
http://www.ukes.com/images/ENO-ET3000.jpg

http://www.ukes.com/images/Intelli-IMT-500.jpg

they are similar price.
which one would everybody recommend??
regardless or price, which one is better?

SnakeOiler
08-13-2008, 12:18 AM
I had the 500 which worked fine for me.

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-13-2008, 01:43 AM
yeah i was thinking the 500, cause it cost more.

david98116
08-13-2008, 02:07 AM
Be sure you pick one up fellas. I can't do without one now. I have an Intelli IMT-500 and I'm highly satisfied.

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-13-2008, 02:13 AM
the 500 it is then.. now i need a pick-up, any good ones floating around?

tuscadero
08-13-2008, 06:10 AM
My clip tuner is a TuneTech Tunner TT-1000 and I lurve it! Carry it with me wherever I go.

Also, not clip-on, but pretty cool to know, if you have an iphone, there's an app called OmniTuner that is terribly sweet. It has a standard chromatic tuner, a clef tuner, and a frequency tuner (I don't really use the last two, but they are neat)

But sweetest of all, it has a fretboard tuner with many settings, you can look up banjo, ukulele (standard) ukulele (baritone), mandolin, a number of guitar settings, violins, etc. There is a picture of the fretboard of the instrument you choose and as the string you're playing comes into tune, the string glows from red to yellow to green (in-tune). Not only is it so cool and cute, it's also a great way to illustrate tuning to any noobs you are introducing the uke to. I used it to teach my 8 year old nephew how to tune his Hilo and it he picked up the concept much faster than when taught him with a traditional tuner. So, if you have an iphone, I highly recommend checking this app out.

hotnanas
08-13-2008, 07:00 AM
iBroke :eek:

experimentjon
08-13-2008, 06:22 PM
I'd have to say that the IMT-500 is indeed a very good tuner. It's def better than any of those models with lights to tell you whether you're sharp or flat. Battery life is reportedly great. And the best part is that the needle stays on the spot at a specific part of your note, so the needle won't slip back down like the Korg chromatic tuner that I used to use for band. I don't know if that makes any sense, but as soon as the store owner deonstrated that feature to me, I knew I had to have it. It's very useful feature. And it ven allows you to keep your capo on while tuning. It's just great.

hotnanas
08-14-2008, 05:38 AM
today at http://goingtoday.com/ there's a clip on tuner for $13.99 plus $5 shipping. I don't know anything about it, but it seems like a relatively decent deal.

http://www.goingtoday.com/pics/Enotes.jpg

hawaiianmusiclover06
08-17-2008, 01:52 AM
I use the Tune Tech TT-500 Clip on Chromatic Tuner. Don't leave home without one of these and it works fine.

GForce83
08-21-2008, 03:56 AM
If you're looking for a good tuner you might want to check out the Autotune 1000

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/082108/autotune-1000.gif

kg0088
08-21-2008, 07:40 PM
I bought a play-on digital tuner off of whitebridgemusic.com. It works really well and comes with an extra battery.

Kaneohe til the end
08-22-2008, 12:22 AM
fred had one that looked kinda cool back at aloha tower now that i think about it

HI@heart
08-22-2008, 09:22 AM
The first digital tuner I bought was one with LEDs and it was very hard to use. Then I found the Intelli IMT-500 on ebay and have enjoyed using it ever since. The LCD screen and needle indicator are perfect.

ichadwick
08-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Local music store has a Profile chromatic digital tuner for $20 that has both clip-on vibration sensor and a built-in mic. Says it's for guitar, bass and violin - but it should work for a uke I would think.

nikolo727
08-23-2008, 11:43 AM
best bet: MGM on ebay. He has a knack for having the best stuff in his store all the time anytime you want it. shipping and service is incredible too. and the prices are hard to beat for the quality of the product. go with him.

OrangeDice
08-24-2008, 09:39 PM
My clip tuner is a TuneTech Tunner TT-1000 and I lurve it! Carry it with me wherever I go.

Also, not clip-on, but pretty cool to know, if you have an iphone, there's an app called OmniTuner that is terribly sweet. It has a standard chromatic tuner, a clef tuner, and a frequency tuner (I don't really use the last two, but they are neat)

But sweetest of all, it has a fretboard tuner with many settings, you can look up banjo, ukulele (standard) ukulele (baritone), mandolin, a number of guitar settings, violins, etc. There is a picture of the fretboard of the instrument you choose and as the string you're playing comes into tune, the string glows from red to yellow to green (in-tune). Not only is it so cool and cute, it's also a great way to illustrate tuning to any noobs you are introducing the uke to. I used it to teach my 8 year old nephew how to tune his Hilo and it he picked up the concept much faster than when taught him with a traditional tuner. So, if you have an iphone, I highly recommend checking this app out.

I recently got an iPhone and saw this while I was browsing the App Store. Now that you've described it, I'm a little bit more intrigued. And for only $4.99, it seems like a good deal, instead of paying ~$20 for a tuner...

haole
08-25-2008, 06:29 AM
I have an Intelli IMT-500 and I don't go anywhere without it now! It fits in my case without a problem and works great. It compensates for my uke always ending up a half step low without me even noticing it.

14twelve
08-26-2008, 02:55 AM

I agree about the iPhone tuner. I've got a clip-on tuner (Martinez) that has a lot of trouble recognising the note, but the iPhone tuner gets it right every time. I'm using one called Stay In Tune, and it sounds quite similar to OmniTuner. Very good for the price!

cashew
08-26-2008, 03:54 AM
I use that little tune-tech pentagonal tuner (tt-500)

initially, I had to hold it against the soundboard of my kala kiwi soprano...
what was odd about it is that after I used it on my tenor fluke, it worked on the soprano without difficulty, er, I should say with minimal difficulty-- sometimes it won't 'hear' the note, and the digital needle doesnt turn (which is so annoying.)
Best advice is to pluck your string firmly-- you need it to be loud if your tuner is acting up... (then again, sometimes it picks up a whisper.)

All in all, its not a bad thing, in the $20ish range at my friendly local stringed instrument store