Jammin suggestions

Barry Sholder

Reaction score
I have become part of the SEUkers group and have meet a great bunch of guys.....but going to the jam (I have only been to one) it seems to be more a social thing than a jam. I am all for the socializing and checking out all the different instruments, but how do get people playing tunes? I'd like to hear from other groups with some suggestions.

Try bringing along some simple songs that everyone can join in on and then just start playing. It helps if you can sing a little as well.

You can find a list of easy two and three chord songs here:

http://www.doctoruke.com/twoandthreechordsongs.pdf

I remember showing up to a jam once with the Grateful Dead's "Fire on the Mountain" and we jammed that one song for about 25 minutes!

At our local Jam sessions, (hubby and I are complete beginners so I can only say what they do there and it seems to work well), folks sit around in a sort of circle and they go around the circle. When your turn comes up you pick a song to play and everyone seems to play, sing, or just strum along with you. Sometimes folks will have copies of a song they want to do that they'll pass out. Most folks also have the "Daily Uke" book so they can just tell you what page the song is on. Some folks play (and sometimes sing) a solo. Often folks will choose to do a song in a different key and that slows us down trying to convert the chords but it seems to work out. I've done "Oh Where of Where has my Little Dog Gone" with just 2 chords that sort of worked. At least I knew the tune and the words.

Space Coast String Busters posts several songs on their webpage for download and practice (everyone encouraged to submit songs with chords) prior to each Meetup. Group leaders usually have copies at the meetup, teach beginners the chords, then proceed to play. Works great. Later in the evening, the better players play some of the more difficult songs, quick chord preview then follow if you can. Open mic is offered but not pushed. Seems to work great to me, but my first meetup group.

Last edited:
Top Bottom