Need Some Help With Songs For A Luau

23skidoo

Reaction score
Howdy folks!

I hoping to impose upon the collective kindness and knowledge of the members here for some advice. Our local swimming pool hosts an annual Luau and it's about that time again. The last few years, they've had a great cultural program hosted by this group:

http://www.myspace.com/magicalfiresofpolynesia

Good dancing, music, etc.....

With my new found appreciation for the 'ukulele, I'd love to be able to play a few Hawaiian songs this year. Just picked up a couple of Dolphins for my kids and they're excited about learning some tunes to help take part at the party.

Any suggestions on tunes? I've searched around online but I'm having a hard time narrowing it down.... just looking for 6-10 quintessentially Luau-friendly tunes. Forgive my cultural ignorance, but my exposure to all things Polynesian is pretty limited here in Georgia. Although I just started with the 'uke, I've been playing guitar for years, so difficulty isn't really an issue - just trying to put together a good, traditional set list, work in some simpler arrangements for the kids to learn.....

Thanks in advance for help!

Aloha Oe

Any of the Hapa Haole songs like Hukilau, Little Grass Shack, or One Paddle, Two Paddle.

Actually, you know what? Just go buy the book Jumpin' Jim's Gone Hawaiian and be done with it. There's your whole set list. :)

JJ

Check out Kolohe Bruddahs, got a pretty good collection of songs you can play at luaus.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. JJ - just ordered the Jumpin Jim book from Amazon - looks like great fun. Kanaka - the Kolohe Brother site is great, too - mp3 samples to go along with the chord sheets.... you can't beat that. Stan - good links as well, lots of quality stuff.

This should keep us busy.... got about 6 weeks till the day, plenty of time to get my kids started. My daughter is 7 as had a blast last year - the interactive hula demonstration had all the young ladies up and moving.....

Many thanks.....

Also play island songs Georgian's are familiar with:

Tiny Bubbles

Pearly Shells (the tune of the C&H Pure Cane Sugar commercial)

Margaritaville

Surfin USA

The party goers will sing and dance along with tunes familiar to them.

In addition, play them in the same key, like F or C. This way you'll only need to teach your daughters 3 or 4 chords so they can spend the rest of their time familiarizing themselves with the tunes y'all will be performing. Ric

The Molokai Slide was a hit at our little luau last summer. A group of kids learned to dance with it from watching some hula on you tube. It was awesome.
Good luck and have fun!

Top Bottom