rattle noises?

paul_kng

Reaction score
nothing on my uke is loose but when i strum i hear a faint rattle noise. i hold down my strings pretty solid when i strum a chord. but doesnt sound clean. how can i get a cleaner nicer sounding strum?

You say the sound is a "rattle". To me that would possibly indicate a loose tuner. Check to see if one or more washers on the front of the head stock are loose. If so, tighten the tuner down.
If you hear a "buzz" type sound, then one of your uke strings must be touching a fret somewhere when you finger a chord.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you are and it's driving me nuts. My uke is starting to rattle after my new worth clears began to settle, more specifically my c-string when played on each of the first five frets. Thanks to Dino's post, I found that it was the string touching another fret. So I raised the saddle and the rattling/buzzing went away; however, the action now is so freaking high. I'm not quite sure what to do now. The only thing I can think of, without keeping the incredibly high action or sanding down my frets, is to get another set of strings that won't bounce around as much. Probably a set with high tension, maybe d'addarios.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you are and it's driving me nuts. My uke is starting to rattle after my new worth clears began to settle, more specifically my c-string when played on each of the first five frets. Thanks to Dino's post, I found that it was the string touching another fret. So I raised the saddle and the rattling/buzzing went away; however, the action now is so freaking high. I'm not quite sure what to do now. The only thing I can think of, without keeping the incredibly high action or sanding down my frets, is to get another set of strings that won't bounce around as much. Probably a set with high tension, maybe d'addarios.

It sounds like you need to file that high fret down; you may need only to address the one fret, as opposed to having them leveled. Then, you can lower the saddle again. If it's just one fret, a luthier or other competent tech will not charge very much for this. I had this done once and it took about 20 minutes and the luthier charged me $20.00.

yeah that's pretty much all the bases. Some more far fetched ones include, wearing a long sleeve shirt with a button that resting on the uke somewhere, or a dead string. Have you tried giving it a good shake without playing it? grab it by the neck to mute the strings and give it a good jostle, silence is a likely indicator of highfret/string issues.

Note. when fretting your finger should not touch frets, but rather the space between them.

Hard to diagnose without seeing it but,
Could be a number of things;
1) Hold the uke up near your ear and shake it, do you hear anything rattle?, if so then it's probably a tuning peg part.
2) Could be the nut or saddle is not entirely flat and vibrating when you play.
3) Have any string ends that are touching the uke?, that can cause a buzz/rattle.
4) Worse case scenario, it could be a loose or broken brace inside the uke.

Top Bottom