ID this "No-Name" Koa Soprano?

Aloha Saltytri,
It sure looks like a vintage deluxe high end uke or a older copy of one....

Yes, that's as far as I could take the analysis. Pretty, even if it's a copy.

Tuners are after circa 1936, but may be replacements.

That is an interesting ukulele. Has some features which for me point to it having been made on the mainland, and some which indicate a Hawaiian build. I think that top crack is not so bad and could be easily addressed.

Philips head screws on the tuners so I think they are replacements. A very pretty ukulele....I like it.

That rope pattern and body/head shape sure looks like Kumalae to me. Without labels, it would be impossible to verify. :(
kumalaeukes.jpg

Last edited:
I've read where putting a humidifier in will often 'close' close cracks like that? It sure is a pretty uke! If it were new today, it would be right up there with the more expensive brands, I reckon!

I bet at that price, it won't last long!

Roberta

I found another uke identified as a 20's Harmony uke, but the headstock is different from this. Aside from that one and the one on ebay, which may have been identified based on the listing I found, I can't find any other ukes that have the same build and headstock shape that actually say "Harmony" on them. Could be, though! It's certainly a mystery. :)

Philips head screws on the tuners so I think they are replacements. A very pretty ukulele....I like it.

The Denver Folklore Society Page with the pictures does say it has new tuners.

-Kurt​

I'm curious why you say it's mainland (Chicago) made? How can you tell?

Top Bottom