PDA

View Full Version : If You Want to Start an Ukulele Club...

rayan
08-12-2008, 07:53 PM
This is mostly for high schoolers but anyone is welcome regardless of age;

If you want to start an ukulele club at your school (or just a regular ukulele club not at a school), UU will support you with giveaways for your club (stickers for all members and other small items for prizes). We want to encourage the growth of the ukulele movement as much as we can and all of you guys are the key to that.

Megan aka Megdizzle (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?u=2336) was the first to start a club that will be UU backed. She has 16 members in her ukulele club at her high school in California.

If you're interested, talk to your student activities coordinator or counselor and try to get your club started, once you have it organized, shoot us an email at ukuleleunderground(at)gmail.com and we'll take it from there!

Go get em team! Ready.... Break!

ricdoug
08-12-2008, 11:19 PM
That's outstanding, Rayan!

We do the same, at the Ukulele Society of America. We've created a large songbook and have estabished bylaws, that help new clubs get off to a rolling start. Do you sponsor affiliate memberships? Ric

tripl3thr33
08-13-2008, 01:23 PM
nice, a great way to bring in more uke players and have more people come to check out the site. i can see an increase in new members coming soon haha

pwnoman
08-13-2008, 01:40 PM
sounds like a great idea! Wish I had a ukulele club in high school

SamIAm
08-13-2008, 04:53 PM
This is awesome!

haolejohn
08-13-2008, 05:25 PM
I got a ? along this idea. Our students come back next week 8/18 and I'm in an elementary school. UU is blocked by our server but I want to try and get it unblocked by IT. Is there ever bad posts on here. I haven't seen anything that is bad but this site is the best thing for me and my uke playing. I feel like I have grown more as a player since I found it.

deach
08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
I got a ? along this idea. Our students come back next week 8/18 and I'm in an elementary school. UU is blocked by our server but I want to try and get it unblocked by IT. Is there ever bad posts on here. I haven't seen anything that is bad but this site is the best thing for me and my uke playing. I feel like I have grown more as a player since I found it.

Maybe not bad, but that deach guy sometimes goes overboard. I wish he'd just go take a flying leap...

SamIAm
08-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Maybe not bad, but that deach guy sometimes goes overboard. I wish he'd just go take a flying leap...

Into a giant pool filled with jello!

we cant have One of UU's most valuable contributers getting hurt!

deach
08-13-2008, 06:03 PM

you have misplaced value.

haolejohn
08-13-2008, 06:05 PM

If not jell-o what about pudding?

SamIAm
08-14-2008, 09:15 AM

Wat kind like tapioca or chocolate? how bout we go patch adams and fill it up wit spaghetti?

nico
08-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Oh man I'd totally start a ukulele club if just ONE other person in my school besides me played ukulele.

pennsylvania bites ):

Rod
08-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Question Ryan....could the name of the club use "Ukulele Undergound" as the name, and distinguish it by location. Like for my example:

Ukulele Undergound - San Antonio.

So it's like a much larger club, with chapters. See what I'm saying? Just a thought.

Thanks,
Rod

Jimmy
08-14-2008, 11:20 AM
I might just have to take advantage of this. The first Ukulele Players of Ireland (Aka Ukuhooley) meeting was last Saturday, and I'm inspired to start a group in school.

tad
08-14-2008, 05:51 PM
you have misplaced value.

You just don't like admitting you're loved.

-----------------------

Y'know, I'm a grad student, so I tend to be pretty anti-social, not know too many people at my university...

But I kinda wonder how I'd go about seeing if there's interest in a ukulele club. Noone in my program has any interest in the instrument, and I'd love to find if there were other ukers at the school.

We have four or five members in the area here on UU, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple ukers at the school.

ricdoug
08-14-2008, 08:52 PM
It looks like the uke already has roots in California's school system:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ukulele-montoya-ensemble-2123643-students-many?slideshow=1

Fountain of ukes
La Habra High music teacher introduces the ukulele to his students, who are entertaining others with the versatile instrument.
By LOU PONSI
The Orange County Register
Comments 0| Recommend 4

LA HABRA Longtime musician and singer David Montoya says any ukulele is a fun ukulele.

"There is a whimsical nature to (ukuleles), and they are easy to play," said the La Habra High choir director, who purchased his first ukulele eight years ago while in Hawaii on his honeymoon.

Montoya's passion for the instrument deepened after attending a performance by a ukulele legend, Bill Tapia. Montoya took lessons from Tapia, and soon the teacher's passion grew on his students.

Montoya and about 45 students formed a ukulele club at La Habra in the fall of 2007.

About eight of the more dedicated students formed a ukulele ensemble, which has performed a series of concerts.

While Montoya acknowledges being surprised that so many students were drawn to the ukulele, the musicians said many factors make the "uke" a desirable instrument.

"I liked it because it was small and portable," said Jesus Gaeta, 16, an ensemble member.

Since it has just four strings two fewer than a guitar Montoya said the ukulele is easy to learn, and you don't need to read music to play.

"I think beginners want to make music quickly, and the uke is an efficient way of getting into some music making," he said.

Said 15-year-old ukulele player Rachel Babashoff: "You can make different sounds and mix it with so many different things."

The price is right as well: Ukuleles start at about $20.

The instrument is also adaptable to several musical genres.

"We do Hawaiian, we do Beach Boys, we do Beatles," Montoya said.

In June, the ensemble was invited to perform at the Muckenthaler Cultural Center in Fullerton, where the group instantly endeared itself to the audience.

"We probably had the greatest response of any group that we've had," said Michael Miller, host of the Muckenthaler's Second Thoughts series, which matches musical groups with performance poets.

"They just brought down the house. I think there were a lot of people that didn't want them to stop."

Miller was so impressed that he invited the ensemble back to headline with noted poets.

The ensemble's versatile repertoire includes tunes such as "Yellow Submarine," "Hawaiian War Chant," "Blue Hawaii," "Somewhere over the Rainbow," "Surfer Girl" and "Mack the Knife."

Montoya expects his ensemble to once again enthrall the audience.

"They say you can't have a ukulele in your hand and not smile," he said. "The audience responds to that."

Know your "uke"
Ukulele basics: A subset of the guitar family, a ukulele has four strings (a guitar has six). The four strings are the same four highest pitch guitar strings. There are four sizes of ukuleles: Soprano (21 inches), Concert (23 inches), Tenor (26 inches) and Baritone (30 inches).

History: The ukulele is mostly associated with Hawaii, but its roots are believed to go back to Portugal. The Portuguese brought the instrument to Hawaii in the late 1800s

Did you know? Yes, there is a Ukulele Hall of Fame; its oldest member is 100-year-old Bill Tapia, who lives in Westminster. Tapia still performs and teaches, has played with Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday and Fats Waller and given lessons to Betty Grable, Jimmy Durante and Buster Crabbe.

Source: ukeschool.com, ukulele.org, billtapia.com

Jack
08-17-2008, 12:45 PM
That's a great idea. i'm starting groups in alot of websites that spead the word alot =D

davoomac
08-19-2008, 04:03 AM
Question Ryan....could the name of the club use "Ukulele Undergound" as the name, and distinguish it by location. Like for my example:

Ukulele Undergound - San Antonio.

So it's like a much larger club, with chapters. See what I'm saying? Just a thought.

Wow thats a really cool idea!

Time to get to work!

KoloheBoy
08-21-2008, 05:04 PM
What do I have to get a club started and have the ukulele underground back up? i have choke friends that would love to do this and we have our polynesian music class with alotta uke players. ill spread the word at castle high.

nikolo727
08-25-2008, 05:52 PM

that would be delicious!!!!! I hear rumors that if you eat jello your fingernails will grow stronger too!!

nikolo727
08-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Wat kind like tapioca or chocolate? how bout we go patch adams and fill it up wit spaghetti?

i would definetely fill up a pool with pineapple juice or apple juice.

or maybe both........yum yum yum!

jeric
09-05-2008, 06:53 PM
its funny thats you posted this because i dont know if there is a ukulele club at my school. but there are like 30 people that i know play the uke well. I was thinking about starting one since the end of my freshman year

Jack
09-06-2008, 07:15 AM
sounds like a good idea
except no one in my school has a uke
and im freshman, so maybe i should wait

turk128
09-14-2008, 11:21 AM
awesome!!!
some friends and i are going through the process of creating a ukulele club at my school right now
now it only the school board wouldnt be so tough

P.S. were also going through the process of creating a twister (like the game) club but its not going as well as the ukulele club lol

rayan
09-14-2008, 11:23 AM
awesome!!!
some friends and i are going through the process of creating a ukulele club at my school right now
now it only the school board wouldnt be so tough

P.S. were also going through the process of creating a twister (like the game) club but its not going as well as the ukulele club lol

Awesome, keep us updated on the status of your club.

mykulangot92
09-14-2008, 11:35 AM
man this is wat i been tell everyone at skool man theres alot of people that play uke at my skool in gardena high at Ca

no one listens to me man i want a club at my skool

rayan
09-15-2008, 04:16 PM
its funny thats you posted this because i dont know if there is a ukulele club at my school. but there are like 30 people that i know play the uke well. I was thinking about starting one since the end of my freshman year

Get it started my friend! We'll send you stuff to give away!

menehunenyc
09-20-2008, 05:01 PM
wow, thats awesome. Too bad I graduated already...25 years ago!!

JKoval
10-07-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm trying to start an alternate music group... like... ukes, bass, melodicas, and of course some guitar backing but instruments that aren't given their due credit! Maybe I'll even bring in the old crockpot drumkit. :)

-Jeff

laietildaend
10-08-2008, 11:51 AM
wat suks bout dis is dat
1. all kids at my skool ar eeder palangi or miko
2. da only Ukrz i kno ar me n my bro.

laietildaend
10-08-2008, 11:54 AM
a uke club wood dominate my sckool havin everybody at my feet begging for mor ookniss an den i'll mek dem be my ukin puppies dat fetch my noosspepah an mek me ORenj jooss...
or sumtin like dat

deach
10-08-2008, 03:25 PM
a uke club wood dominate my sckool havin everybody at my feet begging for mor ookniss an den i'll mek dem be my ukin puppies dat fetch my noosspepah an mek me ORenj jooss...
or sumtin like dat

My first attempt at tabbing:

A(n) ukulele club would dominate my school. Having
everybody at my feet, begging for more uke-ness
and then I'll make them be my uking
puppies that fetch my newspaper and make me orange juice...
or something like that.

Please feel free to correct me.

UkeNinja
10-08-2008, 03:30 PM
My first attempt at tabbing:

Do you have the chords and strumming pattern as well? No link, post them directly here so I don't have to click again!

russ_buss
10-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Do you have the chords and strumming pattern as well? No link, post them directly here so I don't have to click again!

please remember to use the search funkshen:

strumming pattern here (http://dictionary.reference.com/)

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-09-2008, 06:45 AM
i tried.. but failed :)

laietildaend
10-09-2008, 11:41 AM
eh u like me stoopit song
ya?

Matt H
10-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Hey this is great :). I don't know anyone in my school or area that plays the uke except me. Not many people play in England - it's usually associated with George Formby or tiny tim (what a great guy) - so I think it'd be harder to start one up in my school. People look at me funny when I tell them i play the ukulele ("The Ook-oo-what-what?"). I will try and see how it goes :).

Matt

Daniel Davis
10-29-2008, 05:28 PM
What about colleges and universities? Would they apply? More students = more potential uke shredders.

SeanKy671
10-31-2008, 05:34 AM
I have finally started a Ukulele Club here in Spanaway Lake High School. Unfortunately for certain reasons I cannot join myself, but I did it for them. Sadly I don't think I'll be getting any credit for staring it myself because people don't know I started it :( but whatever. We meet every Tuesday after school, and our Second meet will be next Tuesday. Thanks UU!!

Jack
12-15-2008, 06:15 PM
wat suks bout dis is dat
1. all kids at my skool ar eeder palangi or miko
2. da only Ukrz i kno ar me n my bro.

what???

i speak english. Most commonly the language spoken on this site.
whats a palangi or miko?

Jack
12-15-2008, 06:18 PM
I have finally started a Ukulele Club here in Spanaway Lake High School. Unfortunately for certain reasons I cannot join myself, but I did it for them. Sadly I don't think I'll be getting any credit for staring it myself because people don't know I started it :( but whatever. We meet every Tuesday after school, and our Second meet will be next Tuesday. Thanks UU!!

Say what? I will march on down to Spanaway Lake High School and slap those ukers who don't give credit to you. We'll devise a plan that will make them sorry! We'll gather all of UU and destroy them!

Maybe we shouldn't go that far...lol ;)

Captain Google
12-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Last night, I created the first ukulele-themed club on Playstation 3 Home, a new application from Sony Computer Entertainment. At this point, there is one member aside from myself. Unfortunately, due to the user agreement, I cannot send free stuff to the members, since I can't ask for their addresses. I'll have to make a forum for them or something. Maybe even try to affiliate it with UU.

SeanKy671
12-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Say what? I will march on down to Spanaway Lake High School and slap those ukers who don't give credit to you. We'll devise a plan that will make them sorry! We'll gather all of UU and destroy them!

Maybe we shouldn't go that far...lol ;)

thanks jack but i don't think the uke club is around anymore.... :(
the only person i can think has enough experience to really lead the uke club is me so it didn't really go well and they all stopped coming..... maybe next year.. :/

Captain Google
12-26-2008, 07:22 PM
These Playstation Home users just suck. Nine days, not a single new member. So what if the club system was down for a few days, that's no excuse! :mad:

I mean, they could have at least asked me to invite them when it went back up... :(

tshirtandties
01-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Heyy!

Im in high school in the UK,im in year 9 (grade 8) and like theres hardly any people who play the ukulele apart from me,there is like nobody for miles apart from me who plays one.

Its real annoying,i have to travel 20 miles to get to the next ukulele player,i really want to jam with someone else but without having to travel far,im not if my friends at school would take up the uke either because they mostly play guitar,could you give me any tips please?

tshirtandties

tshirtandties
01-25-2009, 01:29 AM
yeah mate same here,i live in the midlands,got the same problem as you :/

laietildaend
01-27-2009, 04:33 PM
what???

i speak english. Most commonly the language spoken on this site.
whats a palangi or miko?

ok, sorry,[ im tongan] heres a lil glosseryy

palangi- a white guy with no ook skills whatsoevah

miko- originated form the word "amigo" which in polynesia we would say miko
which is, of course, is a mexican

ldouglas912
02-04-2009, 04:39 PM
I would like to get an 'ukulele club started here in the Olympia, WA area, can you email an information package?

LarryD
ldouglas@bowfinclayworks.com

haolejohn
02-04-2009, 04:54 PM
OK. For all of you that want to start a club, all you gotta do is start it.
I'm a teacher and I sent out a letter to all students in grades three-five. They then brought them back to me and I then sent out another letter to their parents and gave information about time and basic info. They signed and then brought back to me. I have 31 students in the club and 24 of them have bought their own ukuleles. We have been meeting for three weeks now.

I am tired of hearing all of you complain about no one plays but you. Get out there and persuade people of the joy of the uke. Besides the kids, I have gotten four of my coworkers interested in the uke and three of them have purchased on already.

Nothing happens with out effort. So stop your whinning and do something about it. :)

Jimmy
02-16-2009, 03:51 AM
Update on the Aquinas Grammar Ukulele Society:
We've got 5 members and I think more are interested in joining (We've only got one spare uke to lend to those who are interested)
We're playing one song with two beatboxers at the school's spring concert. We're doing Billie Jean, so the five of us can hopefully make enough skill combined to make an Aldrine and PureMarkSka.
We have meetings every Wednesday. We have one song learnt (Bridge over Troubled Water) and we're working on Billie Jean.
They're all sporting their Ukulele Underground stickers on their cases and schoolbags, and they'd like to thank you guys for them!

tshirtandties
02-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Aloha again!

Finally after searching i have found two other ukulele players in my school and one whos buying his first ukulele at the end of this month :)

tshirtandties

commandercup
03-04-2009, 03:46 PM
I would start a club... but I only know one other person who plays or is even interested in ukulele's... :(

UkuEroll
04-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Is there anyone one here that lives in or around Andover Uk that is interested in starting a club.

joshynobes
05-04-2009, 12:52 PM
ive asked a bunch of people at my school if they want to start a club and so far a bunch have been totally for it. its nearing the end of the school year though. do you think i should wait til next year to start it up? i also have no clue how clubs work so what would i need to do?

faithtruthlove07
05-05-2009, 11:00 AM
I would start a club... but I only know one other person who plays or is even interested in ukulele's... :(
Yea i know what you mean, I don't know anyone in or around my small town that might be interested, besides those that have asked me to teach them! haha. as if I know how to teach?!?!

la_ingrit
05-21-2009, 05:54 AM
hello....well I was kinda desperate to find people here in my city who plays the uke...and I found him! so dont be sad...u will find more people around and you will start your club any time soon.
Remember that 2 is a crowd!

lolsara
05-30-2009, 02:38 AM
I'm going to be a freshmen at University of Delaware in the Fall and they don't have a ukulele club- they will when I'm done with em! So, in a few months I'll definitely hit UU up :).

haolejohn
06-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Yea i know what you mean, I don't know anyone in or around my small town that might be interested, besides those that have asked me to teach them! haha. as if I know how to teach?!?!

You start the club and learn together. That is what I did.

shores&hammocks
07-02-2009, 08:07 AM
hey guys! i'm a new uke player, and i'd really like to start an ukulele club this coming school year here in sunny san diego. i know of a few uke players at my school, but we're just mere acquaintances. also, they've been playing longer than i have.

would it be cool to start a club, even though i'm still a novice?

Rick
07-15-2009, 06:04 PM
hey, thanks rayan for sending stuff! my club members thank you.

Rick
07-15-2009, 06:07 PM
hey guys! i'm a new uke player, and i'd really like to start an ukulele club this coming school year here in sunny san diego. i know of a few uke players at my school, but we're just mere acquaintances. also, they've been playing longer than i have.

would it be cool to start a club, even though i'm still a novice?

oh yea totally, clubs are about fun and learning. if you have a passion for playing, then making a club is a good idea. it brings together uke players who can learn from each other XD

jontom
07-26-2009, 01:45 PM
hey... I don't think I'm going to start a club soon but I'm going to have some ukulele workshops here in Rome starting from September. They're already sponsored by Aquila Corde. Can I be UU powered?

chanimalcrackers
08-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Wow! This sounds awesome! There isn't really an ukulele club at my school, but there is a "Hawaii Club" (club that promotes hawaiian culture) and they have luau's where a couple of guys get together and start jamming with each other. I am trying to get them to expand their music further, and I think UU would be a great way to do that! I don't really hold a really high position in the club, I just play for them because they need time in between dances for their dancers to change outfits and such, or they need to prep for a luau and they get me to take up 30 minutes of time with a setlist of random songs. Alright, once I get approval from the club officers, I'll shoot an email right away!

LazyPancakes
09-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Totaly down for this, It's my sr year and to late for me to form a club but I can get my bro to form it for next year! :spam:

LazyPancakes
10-17-2009, 05:39 AM
scratch that i talked to my physics teacher (who used to play us the uke last year) and there's going to be a ukulele club started fairly soon.

Moby
12-29-2009, 02:49 PM
I've actually found it really easy to spread the Uke Love, if you're still in high school all you gotta do is start playing it in the halls with the guitarists (which you can find at most schools...), jam with them, let them play it a little, and then pretty soon you've got a couple other ukers in the family. Seriously, it amazes me, but most people have just never considered the uke, once they see its potential (playability and size), i've found alot of people are pretty interested. Just point them in the direction of a dealer and you're on your way to a club, or at the very least a few folks you can jam with.

make love to your uke
12-29-2009, 02:59 PM
I will ABSOLUTELY talk to my school's ASB/Club Director for this.
Our school has many people who play the ukulele. AND the ironic thing was that we were also talking about making an ukulele club at school! haha.

This is probably the greatest news I have heard! :D

wadejohnston
01-13-2010, 03:14 AM
I'm thinking about trying to get together a ukulele club at my university, the University of Cincinnati in Ohio. I came on here to start a thread to see if there was any interest...I will for sure email you guys if I end up working something out!

dannyman
02-10-2010, 11:57 AM
i was wondering if i could start a ukulele club at MY high school...
the only problem is that i go to a private school of 100 kids with only 2 of those hundered that play ukulele.
still... it would be cool to get the stickers and to be supported.
the other member of the club is a freshman and actually a student of mine (i teach uke).
could you let me know your answer as a message in my inbox?
(i rarely check threads)

megdizzle
02-15-2010, 10:15 PM
It's great to see how many people are interested in starting an uke club!
Here are some ideas from my experiences w/ the uke club I created.
1. Be prepared
Make sure you find a club sponsor (teacher. administrator etc.), make sure you have all the correct paper work and all the jazz. It'll help in the end.

2. Don't give up!
My ASB denied my request at first. They said we didn't have enough members and we didn't benefit the school. But after some hard work and dedication, we proved that the ukulele is becoming increasingly popular. In the end, we got the approval to form a new club.

3. You don't need a bazillion uke players to form a club
Trust me, there are a lot of people who are dying to learn how to play uke, or just want to listen to some good music. You should open up the club to anyone who is interested in this amazing instrument, even if they don't know how to play. That's where the fun part comes in, teaching!

4. Everyone needs help sometime.
If it is too difficult to form a new club at your school, you can always branch under another club. Like guitar club, hawaii club, music club etc. In my case, we recently decided to branch under our Polynesian club. It's been great! A bunch of people who love the Polynesian culture.

5. What to do?
-One of the easiest activities to do in an uke club is just jam. Find a couple of well known songs and have the members learn it, and play along
-Lessons- The more experienced uke players can help the beginners and teach them a thing or two.
-Perform- whether it be the talent show, assembly, or multicultural performance. Performing is always fun!

5. You'll be amazed
There are some people in our uke club that you would never expect to play uke. And there are some people that are extremely talented. You never know what you're going to find. It's crazy how popular ukulele has become at our school now!

All in all, have fun, work hard, and spread the love for the ukulele. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns :]
-Megan

P.S. Mahalo again to Ryan and the entire UU staff for the awesome stickers and what not!

malumele
04-04-2010, 11:54 AM
so, if i wanted to advertise a uke group in my area, just a uke jam once a week or every month say, i could also say that the uu will sponsor and givie free stickers and ..? plus we'll sign everyone up to the uu, etc. any input as to what to advertise as the actual benefits of said group ? I know it's to have fun and be able to play with all skill levels and all ages of uke players plus those who just like hearing the uke music, to learn new tips and tricks...any other suggs? peace---malumele

KikonuMedia
07-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Does anybody know if 6th grade has that whole group kind of thing? If so, I'd love to start an Ukulele club there :)

idrnoel
07-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Pretty good idea. I'm currently try to find my way to start playing in church with the rest of the bigger instruments.

lindydanny
07-16-2010, 06:20 AM
That's awesome. I always love it when organizations like this actively support schools.

~DB

UkuleleSiSi
07-16-2010, 06:25 AM
I'm going to be a sophmore in high school this upcoming year and i was thinking about making a club!! I already know of about 7 people who can play and i think it would be really awesome to recruit more!! Does anyone have a clever names for this club????

farmerboy
07-16-2010, 08:51 AM

I contacted the education authority that blocks the site and requested that they remove the block for educational purposes (there are video tutorials galore on here) and they wrote back the next day telling me that it was approved and that I could use it and so could the kids. Don't see why it should be a problem for you to do similar, but we are in the UK...

farmerboy
07-16-2010, 08:52 AM
we already have a ukulele orchestra and a ukulele group - do they qualify for stickers?

farmerboy
07-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Hey this is great :). I don't know anyone in my school or area that plays the uke except me. Not many people play in England - it's usually associated with George Formby or tiny tim (what a great guy) - so I think it'd be harder to start one up in my school. People look at me funny when I tell them i play the ukulele ("The Ook-oo-what-what?"). I will try and see how it goes :).

Matt

I think you'll find that thousands of people play uke in the UK and it is hugely because of Jake and the Uke Orchestra of Great Britian - they even played at the BBC proms and filled the Albert Hall last year. Biggest selling instrument - last three years running. You just haven't met them yet. Get out there and drum up some uke-love.

haolejohn
07-16-2010, 09:12 AM
I contacted the education authority that blocks the site and requested that they remove the block for educational purposes (there are video tutorials galore on here) and they wrote back the next day telling me that it was approved and that I could use it and so could the kids. Don't see why it should be a problem for you to do similar, but we are in the UK...

WOW it has been a long time. My system unblocked it for me last year or was it 2 years ago? I can't view videos at work until after 4 pm. I used UU for the club and the kids loved it. I probably should have mentioned that the system that I work for complied to my request.

ukeMaui
07-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Just moved to Maui. Anyone in Maui interested in getting together for an occassional uke session?

KayluhBob
08-18-2010, 10:43 PM
What about at a college? The more i express my love for the uke on facebook I have found a lot of peers that love it too! I want to start a club at my college. I'm also going to start a zine about ukuleles and try to get an even bigger knit of people in my area to come together. I'm just not sure if I want it to be limited to just my fellow college goers. I want it to be a community thing as well... Any thoughts?

Thanks, this thread has really motivated me to make it happen!

seeso
08-19-2010, 09:25 AM
What about at a college? The more i express my love for the uke on facebook I have found a lot of peers that love it too! I want to start a club at my college. I'm also going to start a zine about ukuleles and try to get an even bigger knit of people in my area to come together. I'm just not sure if I want it to be limited to just my fellow college goers. I want it to be a community thing as well... Any thoughts?

Thanks, this thread has really motivated me to make it happen!

Colleges are cool, too! Just send Ryan an email when it's all organized and he'll send you a goodie bag.

I'd start by naming the club, securing a space to meet, and setting a weekly meetup time.

When that's done, call the school and see if there are free promotional avenues they provide. A blurb in the school paper, an addition to the online calendar of events, etc. I know you don't want to limit it to just your college, but if you can have your club sanctioned by the school somehow, you can use their outreach network. Of course, you should make some flyers and paper the coffeehouses and music/instrument stores around town.

Zukester
01-08-2011, 11:23 AM
I've started a club - WOSUP!

I should just mail you?

freckleduker
01-26-2011, 03:25 AM
I have a club/ group as well called HULA, heartland ukulele lovers association here in Nebraska for the surrounding and nearby areas. I'm still working on recruiting and/or finding locals to participate. I will email once its really underway. HTTP://heartlandukulele.weebly.com

bunnyrawr
04-18-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm not at college but when I get my own place I'd like to start a ukulele club and hold jam sessions at my house :D
I'm going convert all the guitar nuts at my bfs' university as well- his brothers' already been bitten by the uke bug!

flacoclef
05-23-2011, 10:07 AM
This is so great. I've been wondering how to do it in my school since it's a K-3 school but I think some 1-3rd graders can play an uke. If any of you have done this I would like some pointers on how to audition, what repertoire, what is the best uke for that level (e.g. Mahalo Painted!!) etc.

ajac37
09-17-2011, 02:21 PM
What great news . . . . we just started a club here in Redding, CA. . . except we're the blue-hair (or no-hair) uke club. There were seven of us at our fist meeting. We don't want no stinkin' by-laws, we don't no want no stinkin' minutes, we don't no stinkin' rules, geezers just wanna have fun. (to paraphrase Ms. Lauper). We had a BLAST!! our first meeting. Since I'm a retired music teacher, they kinda looked to me to put some shape to it, but this isn't a class and we are all sharing, not just me. We pick out four chords that we are going to work on for next time so that we don't need diagrams for those four chords and change quickly. O.k., o.k., I made up the practice sheet . . . . but I'm NOT the teacher. We shared some tunes and played along with a video of Dr. Uke . . . then we ate and gossiped!!! could this get any better??!!??!! Thanks for your encouragement. Where do we sign up for some of those free-bees?

turnitup
11-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Saw an old post of yours about supporting Uke Clubs, and thought I would see if you were still active with that. I advise a uke club at Cleveland High School in Reseda, CA. We are in our 2nd year, have a decent sized group (10-15 plus a couple of adults who join us), have lots of fun, have performed a couple of times, play the school holiday concert this year and may have met you at the So Cal Uke fest 2010 right after we formed. Have seen a uke culture start to develop over the past couple of years at the school, both inside and outside the club and hope to keep growing it. Would appreciate anything you could send our way.

Thanks for your time, hope to hear from you soon. Here is our facebook page if you want to take a look. Also sent this in an email.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cleveland-High-School-Ukulele-Club/116306858415221

Mike Mitchell
Cleveland High School
8140 Vanalden Avenue
Reseda, CA 91335
m

SandyO
04-15-2012, 03:59 PM
I bought a uke 5 years ago and have been teaching myself to play it. I'm amazed you were able to find 7 uke players in Redding, and would definitely be interested in joining your club.
What great news . . . . we just started a club here in Redding, CA. . . except we're the blue-hair (or no-hair) uke club. There were seven of us at our fist meeting. We don't want no stinkin' by-laws, we don't no want no stinkin' minutes, we don't no stinkin' rules, geezers just wanna have fun. (to paraphrase Ms. Lauper). We had a BLAST!! our first meeting. Since I'm a retired music teacher, they kinda looked to me to put some shape to it, but this isn't a class and we are all sharing, not just me. We pick out four chords that we are going to work on for next time so that we don't need diagrams for those four chords and change quickly. O.k., o.k., I made up the practice sheet . . . . but I'm NOT the teacher. We shared some tunes and played along with a video of Dr. Uke . . . then we ate and gossiped!!! could this get any better??!!??!! Thanks for your encouragement. Where do we sign up for some of those free-bees?

SmilingPanda
07-28-2012, 07:55 AM
I think it would be awesome to start a club in my area, and I think I would have a good base of people to draw on since I am the orchestra director in our school district.

The problem is that I have just recently gotten serious about ukeing in the last 6 months or so. I'm still learning and trying to get my own stuff together... how could I really start a club. I've had tons of kids at school who have seen me playing in my office after school and I've even had a couple stop by with their own ukes or borrow one of mine so we can play together, but I don't really feel I have the knowledge base to lead a club meeting... like i worry we would end up sitting around and playing C, G, am, F, C for an hour...

Any tips on what would be some good materials to help grow my own knowledge base and make starting a club a little less daunting? Maybe some good easy song books to fall back on or something like that? As I said, there's a lot of interest, just not a lot of skill :P A club would be a great way to tap into the interest and start nurturing and growing the skill... I just don't feel I'm advanced enough to lead that.

DukeUke'Em
09-09-2012, 09:31 AM

if he doesnt want to can i eat said pudding/jell-o?

jewel2001
12-30-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm in Beverly Hills, Florida and would love to start a club. If there are members in this area, Citrus and surrounding counties, let's do it!

jantilly
12-30-2012, 08:40 AM
i have started a club in southwest michigan but we are small, only 4. how do i find more potential members? we are in our 60's. i would love to give them a sticker