+9 Cmaj7

I'm assuming you're talking about a Cmaj7 with a 9 added in. AKA Cmaj9.

If so, the chord has five notes in it: C, E, G, B, and D.

You only have four strings, so at least one of those notes has to go. That gives you a few options.

You could drop the root. That makes it essentially an Em7. 0202 is one way to play that.

Or you could drop the fifth (the G note). It's probably the least-essential of the five. One way to play that would be 4005. That has the advantage of putting that D note on top, giving it more of an "add 9 sound" than an "add 2 sound" like 0202 does.

You could also just not add the 9 in there (the D note) and play a regular ol' Cmaj7. 0002.

Or not have the maj7 in there (the B note) and play 0005.

Or pick a couple of these and switch between them.

Whatever sounds good to you.

JJ

P.S. Is this in a particular song you're trying to play? Which song? And where in the song does this chord come up? It's probably the right chord to play there, but it never hurts to make sure!

Thank you for the help! :)

Here is the song...

She has the chords listed as this:

Cmaj7 Gmaj7 Bm7 Em Cmaj7 Gmaj7 Bm7 Em
The rain falls hard on a humdrum town
Cmaj7 Gmaj7 Bm7 Em
This town has dragged you down Cmaj7 Gmaj7 Bm7 Em
Oh, the rain falls hard on a humdrum town
Cmaj7(+9 Cmaj7
This town has dragged you down G Bm7
Oh, no, Cmaj7 Bm7
and everybody's got to live their life
E6 (D6)
And God knows I've got to live mine
E6

God knows I've got to live mine
G A

F C G Bm C D

C G C D Em Emaug7
William, William it was really nothing
C G C D Em Emaug7
William, William it was really nothing
Em7 A7+9 F C
It was your life ... G Bm C D
How can you stay with a fat girl who'll say : "Oh ! C G C D

Would you like to marry me ? "And if you like you can buy the ring"
Em Emaug7
She doesn't care about anything C G C D

Would you like to marry me ? And if you like you can buy the ring
Em Emaug7 Em7 A7+9
I don't dream about anyone - except myself !

F C G Bm C D

C G C D Em Emaug7
Oh, William, William it was really nothing
C G C D Em Emaug7 Em7 A7+9
William, William oh.

:eek: Yikes...
...I just noticed 2 more chords:
A7+9
Emaug7

If you (or anyone else) have chance, I'd appreciate any help with those as well.

A +9 chord usually means that the 9th is sharped. So for the Cmaj7+9, you're adding a D# to the chord instead of a D. So you want to play 0302, not 0202. For, the A7+9, you're adding a B#, which is a C. (This chord is on page 26 of the Roy Sakuma "Treasury of Ukulele Chords"). What a +9 works out to on a uke is that you're playing both the minor 3rd and the major 3rd for that root note. For the Emaug7, I'm guessing that this is an Em7 with an augmented 5th, which means you play a G# instead of the G.

Cmaj7+9 = 0302
A7+9 = 0103
Emaug7 = 1202

I have no clue, but I am following closely- any attempt at the Smiths is a good idea...This tune (which my wife sings to her dog, William, daily) has been my nemesis.

I'm assuming you're talking about a Cmaj7 with a 9 added in. AKA Cmaj9.

If so, the chord has five notes in it: C, E, G, B, and D.

You only have four strings, so at least one of those notes has to go. That gives you a few options.

You could drop the root. That makes it essentially an Em7. 0202 is one way to play that.

Or you could drop the fifth (the G note). It's probably the least-essential of the five. One way to play that would be 4005. That has the advantage of putting that D note on top, giving it more of an "add 9 sound" than an "add 2 sound" like 0202 does.

You could also just not add the 9 in there (the D note) and play a regular ol' Cmaj7. 0002.

Or not have the maj7 in there (the B note) and play 0005.

Or pick a couple of these and switch between them.

Whatever sounds good to you.

JJ

P.S. Is this in a particular song you're trying to play? Which song? And where in the song does this chord come up? It's probably the right chord to play there, but it never hurts to make sure!

Thanks JJ.

:stop: I'm sure once you understand a little more about music theory, and get to know your way around the ukulele fretboard a bit, you'll be just fine. :bowdown:

Top Bottom