I'm stuck!!!!!!!

kuke2

Reaction score
I play a Lanikai concert uke (made of koa wood) in a band and I've started getting into somewhat harder chords. Now, I'm running into problems because I need a little bit of a deeper sound on my uke. I need more bass....is that possible?

What are my options? A tenor uke? Low G-string? Different wood?

Tenor would give you a deeper sound, I just recently restrung my Tenor with a low G. It's a little deeper, for sure. But I'm not sure if I like it yet...

Aloha Kuke2,
Get a tenor, thicker strings, drop the tuning a step, mahogany is sweet and nice... Hope it helps...good luck, MM Stan
BTW your Lanikai Koa concert is a highly sought after uke..it was made by Kanilea in hawaii and one of their first ukes..
worth some money....hold on to that baby...MM Stan

mahogany. low g freemont blacklines or worth browns - my 240 with black lines is very mellow. you can get it with a pickup now.

Tenor would give you a deeper sound, I just recently restrung my Tenor with a low G. It's a little deeper, for sure. But I'm not sure if I like it yet...

I felt the same way man when I strung my uke up with low G.. so I went back to high G lol; Low G messed up a bunch of the picking in my songs. But I would second the suggestion to go with a tenor uke w/ a low G. Should probably be the sound you're looking for.

What are you not liking about the low G?

Aloha Kuke2,
Get a tenor, thicker strings, drop the tuning a step, mahogany is sweet and nice... Hope it helps...good luck, MM Stan
BTW your Lanikai Koa concert is a highly sought after uke..it was made by Kanilea in hawaii and one of their first ukes..
worth some money....hold on to that baby...MM Stan

Thanks, MM Stan.
Basically, I want to get a great, full, rich sound like a guitar with my uke. I'm looking at the Kala archtop tenor....would that be good?
Seriously????? That's fantastic! I had no clue!

mahogany. low g freemont blacklines or worth browns - my 240 with black lines is very mellow. you can get it with a pickup now.

Which do you prefer, blacklines or worth browns? Does the pickup help to mellow it out?

Thanks, MM Stan.
Basically, I want to get a great, full, rich sound like a guitar with my uke. I'm looking at the Kala archtop tenor....would that be good?
Seriously????? That's fantastic! I had no clue!

Two different animals. You will never get the richness and tonal range of a full bodied guitar out of any uke. The physics won't allow that to work. The smaller body does not move enough air to do that.

I see a baritone was suggested which is a bigger body and will be more guitar like. A tenor guitar would also be a bigger body, but steel strings are going to make difference in the tone.

Archtop use will give you more projection, as would a resonator uke (more volume if you will) but not the fuller tone you spoke of.

You have to accept the uke for what it is. Putting a pick up in and EQ'ing the uke through an amp or sound system would probably be your best bet.

TWC

Two different animals. You will never get the richness and tonal range of a full bodied guitar out of any uke. The physics won't allow that to work. The smaller body does not move enough air to do that.
TWC

I have to agree with olgoat52 here, a guitar sounds like a guitar. Another option for the uke would be to look at a six or eight string model:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbC9QSa1P4E

Top Bottom