Sound hole dimensions

finkdaddy

Reaction score
I see so many different styles, sizes, and shapes of sound holes.
Is there a specific formula for how much area a sound hole should take up, or is it just a matter of personal preference?

Mine is personal preference, based on historic looks.
On the larger sized instruments, a bit of "tone targeting" can be done with sound hole diameter.
Formula? we don't need no stinkin' formula!

LOL! Thanks David.
I thought maybe a sound hole should be a certain percentage of the sound board or something like that.
I want to cut out an odd shaped hole on my next uke and I just wanted to see if there was some set of guidelines you should follow.
Thanks again!

"I thought maybe a sound hole should be a certain percentage of the sound board or something like that."

I think the volume as in number of square inches of the box is more what matters. If the box is too large and the sound hole is too small the ukulele will tend to bark in a certain note range.

body volume vs hole size will change the fundamental pitch of the body.....for whatever that's worth. People say there's an ideal ratio but no one seems to agree what it is. Yes it has an effect but if that's good or bad depends on who's listening

Ahh, the depth of the soundhole! That's what I've been missing...

Actually, there is such. Google for "Tornavoz".

And the sound hole size "tunes" the air resonant mode of the box. Smaller will give you a lower resonant frequency, larger a higher one. There are practical limits both ways, and overall volume is also affected. There's a lot of info on this with regard to guitars and mandolins. Check out Roger Siminoff's Tap Tuning books and also Al Carruth's work.

OH, the volume of the box should be in cubic inches, not square inches. Or CC's or whatever, but it's a cubic measure.

Thanks everyone for the great information!

Another, related question:

On a kasha-braced uke, is a sound hole on the side of the body neccesary, or is that also a personal preferance?

Wow, thanks Timbuck!
Where would you measure the width of a uke, at the widest section, at the waist, an average of both?

BTW, if you want a really easy way to measure the internal cubic volume of a uke, fill it up with uncooked rice or some such, and then pour that into a calibrated lab beaker. You'll get within a couple of cc's with virtually no math or solid geometry getting in your way, and it will account for things like braces, kerfing, and end blocks.

I don't bother, but for those with severe OCD, it's nice to have ways to feed your obsessions.

Top Bottom