Guitar / Uke chord diagrams

sbarron

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm learning both guitar and ukulele and was pleasantly surprised to learn that they share the same set of basic chord shapes. To keep it straight in my head I put together a little diagram and thought I'd post it here in case it might help anyone else out.

The diagram is clear in my mind, but that doesn't mean it is in anyone else's, so let me know if there's anything I could add to clarify it!

The diagram can be seen at:

http://rubyi.st/uke/chords/

-Scott

Very well done. Nice diagram. However, I found this to be very confusing. Although they are similar I tend to play each instrument individually so I my mind doesn't get mixed up. I also suggest you play one instrument at a time. Again, even though they are similar, they are very different. Well, that's my opinion.

I'm glad you're doing what you need to do to make sense out of this for yourself!

You've probably already noticed that when you think of a guitar chord, just count
up 4 letters to the corresponding ukulele chord name (Guitar C = [C-D-E-F] Ukulele F).

If you're thinking of the ukulele chord name, just count up 5 letters to get the corresponding
Guitar chord name (Ukulele G = [G-A-B-C-D] Guidat D).

That might help in a pinch when you forget the name of the chord form you're playing
depending on the instrument you're playing at the time!

Enjoy both instruments and keep uke'in',

I'm glad you're doing what you need to do to make sense out of this for yourself!

You've probably already noticed that when you think of a guitar chord, just count
up 4 letters to the corresponding ukulele chord name (Guitar C = [C-D-E-F] Ukulele F).

If you're thinking of the ukulele chord name, just count up 5 letters to get the corresponding

That might help in a pinch when you forget the name of the chord form you're playing
depending on the instrument you're playing at the time!

Enjoy both instruments and keep uke'in',

Unless of course you detune your tenor per recommendation of SouthCoastUkes by 1 to 1 1/2 steps so now you are TOTALLY screwed up ;)

That works, but you have to be sure you're taking accidentals into account properly.

In other words, if you count up four letters from F, you wind up with B. But the uke equivalent to a guitar F chord is actually B flat, not a plain old (natural) B.

JJ

The diagram is clear in my mind, but that doesn't mean it is in anyone else's, so let me know if there's anything I could add to clarify it!

I think that chart is brilliant. Perfect for turning on the "a-ha" light in guitarists who are brand-new to the uke, I would think.

(That said, I'm not so sure you need the numbers along the bottom showing the chord tones. It's interesting, but not really important to the goal of understanding the guitar/uke relationship.)

JJ

I have been playing ukulele exactly 3 days, but guitar for many years. I have been using the method outlined by "Uncle Rod". I don't find I have a lot of trouble remember that D on the guitar = G on the ukulele for example. Actually the chords (at least the first position ones) aren't that difficult and there is the muscle memory of the shapes too. All in all the ukulele is really pretty fun to play and noodle around on.

Top Bottom