Looking for other Unique World Instruments.

UkeToaster

Reaction score
Anyone know any instruments (stringed) that are of different parts of the world or are just unique..i really want to pick up another instrument.

It is not stringed, but if you want to expand your musical experience I heartily recommend you look into the Native American flute. It is by far the easiest instrument to learn to play. It is also a wonderful gateway instrument because once you become proficient with it, the tin whistle and Irish flute are easily picked up.

Brad

A couple clicks on Wikipedia will lead to some really interesting stringed instruments. New to me today is the Hardingfele, the traditional Norwegian fiddle. Similar to the uke, there's its ancestor the cavaquinho, or you could check out the tiple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lute

what about the Kalimba (African Thumb Piano)? I have one and it's gorgeous and sweet sounding. Small, not too expensive and chimes like an angel. :)

I like Madagascar music, and they have a lot of interesting local stringed instruments. The valiha is a zither strung lengthwise along the outside of a bamboo tube, often strung with bicycle brake cable. A marovany is another zither with strings on both sides of a box. A kabosy is a small guitar that sounds somewhere between a mandolin and uke, with partial frets so the instrument can only play the pentatonic scale. And a jejy voatavo uses a big hollowed gourd as a resonator.

Valiha:
nouns-valiha.gif

Marovany:
nouns-marovany.gif

Kabosy (This one was made by a UU member):
kabosy.jpg

Jejy Voatavo:
Jejy+voatavo+(cithare+sur+b%C3%A2ton).jpg

If you are ever in or near Toronto, we have a great little shop that specializes in world music instruments. The people that run it are great, and encourage lots of hands-on experiencing of their wares.

Musideum

The Berinbao (spelling?) and the shamisen!

Go to House of Music Traditions web site and look through all the unique stringed instruments under "Exotic Instruments". If you live near the Washington, DC area stop in and play them. They are located in Takoma Park, MD.

http://www.hmtrad.com/

Top Bottom