A String Stuck on my Kanile'a

CoLmes

UU+
Reaction score
So here I am, again, not being able to get my A string out, again.

I've been at it for the last hour in a half trying to get JUST my A string out... I don't know what my deal is...

The knot slipped up into the groove so I need the knot to get out of there. I've tried my nail, a paper clip, a dentist hook thing, a mail opener and swearing at it and nothing has worked esp. the swearing...

At this point i'm ready to just cut it and leave it in there. String my next string with a bead. But I don't know if that's smart, it will not budge at all.

Any help? Thanks in advance.....

Hey Colin. Tricky one. If you do get it out, try to double or triple knot the string next time and leave a little tail after the knot hanging out behind the bridge so you have something tug on next time.

I would only guess that pushing the knot down with a paper clip or jewelers screw driver would be your only option. I'm afraid to suggest this, but what about an xacto knife or razor blade down into the slot (being careful of the finish) to cut the knot??

I have wondered about ukes that are strung through the body if this ever happens. Those would be a bear to get at too.

Don't forget the builders lounge. Maybe one of the pros has an idea

Hope you get it.

Can you reach from the soundhole and come from below? Maybe you tried that but that is a thought if you haven't tried it?

I don't think the the Kanilea is not strung through the top. Ie a Kasha bridge. I just mentioned it because I wondered if strung through the top ukes are prone to this problem. I think Colin has a bridge that has slots and takes knotted strings.

TWC

In can't reach that far from the sound hole.

This isn't the first time it's happened but it's def. the worst so far.

I don't think the the Kanilea is not strung through the top. Ie a Kasha bridge. I just mentioned it because I wondered if strung through the top ukes are prone to this problem. I think Colin has a bridge that has slots and takes knotted strings.

TWC

Yup, you knot it. I've tried double knots but that still gets suck... has anyone tried a bead with a Kanile'a?

I called KAnile'a and they really didn't have much to offer besides what I've been doing.

Does it string through the top? I figured it was like the older non-laced koaloha bridges. The knot slides into the slot from behind the bridge.

If you can hold the string above the uke with one hand and push down against the top of the string as it enters the hole (using a small, thin screwdriver blade) you might be able to get the jammed know to release. I had to do this once with my Kanile'a concert A string. HTH.

Like this

form.jpg

The problem with mine is the knot always slips into the groove.

Like this

form.jpg

The problem with mine is the knot always slips into the groove.

Did you already cut the string short? If not try lacing the string tuner end first back into the hole and grab it through the sound hole and try and remove it by pulling down??

If you have any friends that play steel string guitar (and bother to change their strings) ask them to save an old set for you. Cut the little spools off the ends and tie your strings to the spools. That should stop them from riding up in the groove when the pin is inserted.

The beads might work but they will probably not fit through the holes so you would have to grab the string through the sound hole and tie the bead on. The little spools will probably fit in the holes fine.

Definitely go bead next time.

I second olgoat's suggestion.

Good luck.

Let's say I just keep the knot in there and bead it, that'll effect the string right? Since it won't be in the groove because the knot is in there?

Let's say I just keep the knot in there and bead it, that'll effect the string right? Since it won't be in the groove because the knot is in there?

If the pin has a groove, you might be ok. It will further compress the old string into the slot in the bridge which is not a good thing. Be careful of increasing the width of the slot or you will have other problems.

Tough problem. Sorry I haven't got anything else for you. So you haven't got enough string to try and pull it back down through the bridge via the sound hole? Bummer.

I had the same problem once. It was almost like the knot in the string had dug into the wood in the groove. I eventually worked it out with needle nose pliers. Just go slowly and work it in all different directions, and eventually I think it will let go. Keep changing your tools if need be. Just be careful of the finish and do small movements to maintain control. I know it's frustrating, so try distracting yourself a little with some background TV or radio or a bit of music. You need to stay calm.

–Lori

DID IT

I actually did have enough to pull it out of the sound hole, I guess I didn't get what you were talking about until 5 minutes ago. It wouldn't budge too much but with the string out of the way the dentist thing popped it right out.

Thanks everyone :) Now how should I string this thing so it doesn't happen again? I have a bead, should I do that?

I had the same problem once. It was almost like the knot in the string had dug into the wood in the groove. I eventually worked it out with needle nose pliers. Just go slowly and work it in all different directions, and eventually I think it will let go. Keep changing your tools if need be. Just be careful of the finish and do small movements to maintain control. I know it's frustrating, so try distracting yourself a little with some background TV or radio or a bit of music. You need to stay calm.

–Lori

Yup I think I watched a full movie before it popped out.

How do you string your uke now?

I watched cone heads btw in case anyone was wondering.

GNARFEL THE GARFEL

Top Bottom