New Stuff! :D Tough Decisions...

Little Plink

Reaction score
Heeeey.

So, I've recently come into a considerable (for me, at least) amount of money, and I've decided to put it towards a new instrument. I've got about $950 to spend, but I can stretch it a bit if necessary. There are four separate items that I'm mulling over, and they are ...

:
A Kamaka HF-3 - .....................MSRP Approx. $1090-(Sells For) $1090
A Gretsch Corvette - ................MSRP Approx. $1000-(Sells For) $650
A Gretsch G5120 - ...................MSRP Approx. $1000-(Sells For) $700
A Rickenbacker 4003 Bass - ......MSRP Approx. $1800-(Sells For) $1500

I know that you'll be shooting for the Kamaka, after all, it's UKULELE Underground, but I don't really want to spend that much, and they're near impossible to find used. I would be willing to spend that money, but you'll have to convince me to. If you should choose the Ric, it will be put towards funding that bass for purchase at a later date. I really want a Gretsch guitar, and their sale prices are well within my budget, but the choice to be made between those is solid body (Corvette) or hollow body (G5120.)

So what does everybody think?

I really love Rickenbackers...but I think I need to know what instruments you already have to give you a solid opinion.

The Kamaka of course! But you knew I'd say that.

There have been a couple of HF-3 tenors in the Marketplace recently, not sure if they sold already or not. I'd recommend posting a "want to buy" post there, if you're not opposed to second hand.

I really love Rickenbackers...but I think I need to know what instruments you already have to give you a solid opinion.

For guitars, I've got a few cheapies (Danelectro 90s reissue DC-59 (Modded with a humbucker), Epiphone acoustic, some no-namer from the eighties) and one really nice modded Fender Jazzmaster. (TV Jones Classic in the Bridge pos. & Bigsby Tremolo. You can tell I like Gretsch... and Costello... It's not a good combination, really...)

For Bass, I play a Squier Jazz Bass rip-off. That's it. Maybe the worst electric bass on the market, but it's all I got.

For ukulele, all I have is a Kohala (NOT KOALOHA) Soprano, and I don't know if I can last too much longer without a nice tenor.

I also play quite a few other instruments, but these are the only types I'm looking to buy.

-

To Laouik, I'll actually play them all equally. I'm wierd like that.

After all rickenbackers invented the electric instruments.. they have a solid reputation.... it between kamaka and that...for sure..

Used Kamaka HF - 3's are coming up on the marketplace either here or on FMM all the time mate. You won't have trouble finding a second hand one soon enough if that's what you really want. Guess it depends on how bad you wanna get into the uke.

I wouldn't recommend the Rickenbacker unless you are positive you want that sound. Personally I would give up several body parts for a Rickenbacker 4001 with two Marshall full stacks.
I can't convince you on a Kamaka so I'm not gonna try.
But a Gretsch hollowbody is sort of the coolest guitar, ever. So I'd go for the Gretsch. -_^

I love my Hofner bass. I also love my Martin acoustic guitars. I did have a classic Gretsch Electromatic for years and like a young idiot (many years ago), I sold it for $50 (yeah, I know... ), wish I still had it. As ukes go, if you like the "plugged sound" and still want the guitar, then buy an Ohana TK20-CE (solid mahogany top, laminated back and sides). It has a cutaway and sounds great plugged in, sounds good acoustically, too. Then, buy the Gretsch via local Guitar Center or Sam Ash rather than buying without playing one. The Gretsch guitars are all imports these days.

For guitars, I've got a few cheapies (Danelectro 90s reissue DC-59 (Modded with a humbucker), Epiphone acoustic, some no-namer from the eighties) and one really nice modded Fender Jazzmaster. (TV Jones Classic in the Bridge pos. & Bigsby Tremolo. You can tell I like Gretsch... and Costello... It's not a good combination, really...)

For Bass, I play a Squier Jazz Bass rip-off. That's it. Maybe the worst electric bass on the market, but it's all I got.

For ukulele, all I have is a Kohala (NOT KOALOHA) Soprano, and I don't know if I can last too much longer without a nice tenor.

I also play quite a few other instruments, but these are the only types I'm looking to buy.

-

To Laouik, I'll actually play them all equally. I'm wierd like that.

It sounds like you're lusting after a Kamaka. :p

I'd go with the bass or the uke. Like the others said there have been Kamakas popping up used lately, you could get the uke and put the rest away for that Rick. :D

Oy! My brain is in AGONY over this!

DECISION!!!

:If that Kamaka that dkcrown mentioned stays under $750, I'll buy it, but otherwise, I'm going with the Gretsch. The Ric'll just have to wait a bit.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Top Bottom