PDA

View Full Version : Makai Mt-90 Solid Mango Tenor

NYG010
06-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Hey All, first time poster here, been reading posts here for about a week or so until I just made my first purchase online a couple hours ago. I was not sure to post here or in the buying forum so I'm putting it in both, I do not mean to be a "posting whore" Sorry guys!

What do you guys think of the Makai MT-90, it was sort of a gutsy buy considering I found little to no information about it online after doing intensive research. I did however like that it was fully solid mango and I did not want to be urged to purchase another uke only one year down the road .

-How does this Uke compare to others?
-How does full solid body mango wood compare to other woods in comparison?
-How do you tell if a Uke is laminate or solid (without of course the company telling you)?

Thanks all! I look forward to hearing from you guys!

kenikas
06-21-2011, 05:37 AM
Welcome to the forums! I haven't tried that model but have been very tempted as well. I do have a Makai solid spruce top tenor and I think it's a great uke especially for the price. I have also play several other Makai models and they were all quite good. The Makai's are made in the same factory as at least some of Ohana's and Mainland's models, and though the fit and finish may not be as polished, they are pretty good players. As for how to tell if it's solid or lam look at the edge of the sound hole and you can usually see the layers of the laminate.

NYG010
06-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Awesome! That is a sigh of relief, I was looking for someone who at least owns a few Makai's. It's extremely hard to find anyone who has this MT-90..haven't found one person as of yet. Anyway, I'll let you know how it is when it gets in. Supposedly they were all out of stock EVERYWHERE, its impossible to find these anywhere right now. But they should re stock within 2-3 weeks, I already put in my backorder and paid!

Thanks for the tips brudda!