PDA

View Full Version : Snark SN1 or SN2?

SunnyUke
06-21-2011, 04:51 AM
Hi all! I'm new here, and my Makala dolphin in Sunny Yellow is on its way! So I figure I better get a tuner asap, but I can't figure out which to purchase from Amazon. Thoughts? Thanks!

PhilUSAFRet
06-21-2011, 05:09 AM
SN2 has a mic in it. You may not need it now, but will give you more flexibility in the future. No difference otherwise in performance. Depends on whether you want to invest in this feature now. Many ukers have nore than one tuner! Yeah, now we have TAS too, LOL!

Skitzic
06-21-2011, 05:14 AM
I have the SN1, but I would suggest the SN2 because of the microphone. You'll have more options later down the road.

SunnyUke
06-21-2011, 07:03 AM
Thanks everyone! SN2 it is! :)

ukeeku
06-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Ask Mim about getting one. she just recieved 100 oor so and needs to sell them

Balsa Dust
06-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I picked it by color...RED :biglaugh:

sukie
06-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I picked it by color...RED :biglaugh:

I would need MAGENTA!

Balsa Dust
06-21-2011, 12:42 PM
I would need MAGENTA!

Magenta?? Is that the new Red?

Ronnie Aloha
06-21-2011, 12:53 PM
I think the SN2 also has a metronome.

blender
06-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Hi all! I'm new here, and my Makala dolphin in Sunny Yellow is on its way! So I figure I better get a tuner asap, but I can't figure out which to purchase from Amazon.

I'm a noob also, and picked up a SN2 to complement the Kala KC02 tuner that was included with my Kala concert. I was ordering some books from Amazon anyhow and, well, what's one thing added to the order....

From the Snark manual: "The frequency range detected by the SN-1 is optimized for guitar. The SN-2 is able to detect an extended frequency range and can be used for all instruments including guitar. Both tuners are chromatic, and both tuners sense the vibrations of the instrument they are attached to."

As noted the SN-2 has the microphone, however I never use it.

Steve

brucemoffatt
06-21-2011, 04:53 PM
The SN-1 (blue) is fine for tuning uke frequencies, and has a metronome. I have one and don't miss it not having a microphone.

8daypsalmist
06-21-2011, 04:53 PM
I just received a Snark SN6 designed specifically for Ukulele off of eBay for my Grandaughter. I like it so much I ordered another one for my daughter. It only tracks the GCEA notes which is good for them - no confusing guitar notes/pitches to get them off the tuning track. Same Snark features of swivel joints, led display, etc. It was gloss black in color with NO rubber coating. First one was $11, second was $13 (raised the price a little) including shipping.

Peace,

James

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Mathematically speaking, the SN2 is twice as good as the SN1; the SN6 is three times as good as the SN2; and the SN6 is SIX TIMES as good as the SN1. That's pretty good.

Personally, I'm awaiting the release of Snark's ultimate tuner, the SNinfinity.

(You can trust these numbers, I taught two math classes today.)

CmdCtrl
06-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Just picked up an SN6 from Island Bazaar for under $13 out the door so hurray for us socal locals. It was black. It was on special. It appeased the UAS flare up for about 5 minutes

Mason671
06-22-2011, 04:43 AM
The Snark SN-1 and SN-2 both have a metronome, although the SN-2 includes the mic. The SN-5 (black) is fully chromatic while the SN-6 is optimized for the ukulele. Both the SN-5 and SN-6 do not have the the mic or metronome features. The SN-2 is clearly the best choice of the four as it provides the most bang for your buck. You can see all four Snark tuners here (http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=snark+tuner&x=15&y=11).

cheekmeat
06-22-2011, 06:15 AM
I had no idea that the sn's 5&6 existed. I love my sn2, but have never used the mic or the metronome thing. I might just snatch up one or two of the sn 5's!

Raygf
06-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Mathematically speaking, the SN2 is twice as good as the SN1; the SN6 is three times as good as the SN2; and the SN6 is SIX TIMES as good as the SN1. That's pretty good.

Personally, I'm awaiting the release of Snark's ultimate tuner, the SNinfinity.

(You can trust these numbers, I taught two math classes today.)

:rofl: Thank God for math teachers. What would we do without them?

Regards,
Ray

ukulelecowboy
06-23-2011, 09:14 AM
The internal mic on the SN-2 is great for tuning banjo ukuleles which typically run into issues with "vibration-based" clip on tuners (at least mine do).

Mike

cheekmeat
06-23-2011, 09:21 AM
The internal mic on the SN-2 is great for tuning banjo ukuleles which typically run into issues with "vibration-based" clip on tuners (at least mine do).

Mike

Hmmm. Good to know. I've got an old banjo uke project that I'm hoping to get playing this summer. Maybe I will stick with the SN-2.

blulegend
06-23-2011, 05:51 PM
I just got this SN-2 and it is so much better than other digital tuners I've used. This one is really stable and the "needle" indicator moves readily as the tone changes without too much jumpiness. Also, it is really compact and the clip is easy to grasp and position.

Eures
06-22-2013, 11:46 PM
With the SN-2 I just bought the vibration sometimes misfires to measure notes higher than F# (1st string, 9th fret), while the microphone has no problem (as far as you may want to check the highest notes...:rolleyes:)

Tootler
06-23-2013, 02:05 AM
I have a SN2 and have occasionally used the microphone when putting my flute together. Being fully chromatic it works with my U-Bass as well as being fine with alternative tunings. Whichever model you get definitely get a chromatic tuner and not one that just responds to GCEA. Even though you may only be thinking in terms of GCEA now, chances are that at some time in the future you will want to try alternative tunings or you may want to get a baritone or a U-Bass. A chromatic tuner will serve far all those possibilities.

Who knows, you may even want go to the dark side and try guitar! :wallbash:

bnolsen
06-23-2013, 07:28 AM
I keep the sn-2 at home and keep it clipped on my bari cuatro that hangs on the wall. My work ukulele has an sn-1 on it. To "convert" the sn-1 to a general tuner i just keep it on the ukulele and tune based on the sympathetic resonance generated in the soundboard. Works fine in a quiet environment.

I also have a cherub which is the "beater" (I think got it for 3USD shipped) and another chinese one which has a digital display but the plastic buttons rattle.

Booli
06-23-2013, 09:31 AM
I also have a cherub which is the "beater" (I think got it for 3USD shipped) and another chinese one which has a digital display but the plastic buttons rattle.

I have a possible solution, that worked for me, to help stop the rattling. You can see my post here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?82420-Planet-Waves-Under-Headstock-Tuner-Buzzing&p=1306808#post1306808), and full thread here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?82420-Planet-Waves-Under-Headstock-Tuner-Buzzing/page2).

Try it, and let me know if it works for you.

Huckleberry
06-23-2013, 02:44 PM
What's with the BLACK one??

bnolsen
06-23-2013, 06:02 PM
I have a possible solution, that worked for me, to help stop the rattling. You can see my post here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?82420-Planet-Waves-Under-Headstock-Tuner-Buzzing&p=1306808#post1306808), and full thread here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?82420-Planet-Waves-Under-Headstock-Tuner-Buzzing/page2).

Try it, and let me know if it works for you.

the problem is with the actual buttons of the tuner, not the grips. the power button and some mode change button rattles around. i just dont leave that tuner clipped when i play and i typically dont leave an electronic tuner clipped on anyways.

it's this tuner and those buttons on the right side rattle:

http://dx.com/p/1-3-lcd-clip-on-guitar-metronome-tuner-black-1-x-cr2032-142856

Flyinby
06-23-2013, 06:39 PM
The microphone is handy, and since there's hardly any difference in price, why not get the full-featured SN-2?

The mic option works much better on my U-bass; with its floppy strings there's often some wandering if it's set to vib, but I can even clip it on the amp set to mic, and it works great. As mentioned, it works a lot better with a banjolele also. Clipped up by the banjo head and set to mic, it gives a nice firm reading, where it wanders around if clipped to the headstock on my Lanikai.

In a dark place, you can find the right harmonica with it, instead of trying to see the key stamp in the dark. You can check a flute or whistle to see what key it plays in, or even check a voice to get a clue as to what key they're singing in.

joe_coffee
06-25-2013, 09:41 AM
question was already answered in the thread :cool:

other question,
is it worth it to pick up an SN2 or should I just stick with my SN6

- coffee