interested in finding a long neck uke: super soprano or super concert.

mustacheukuleles

Reaction score
i have been doing research about these for awhile now and i like them more and more everyday.

i've looked at the Kala-Slng, the Ohana SK-35L, and the CK-35L. just wondering if anyone could 1. shed some light onto what a super soprano is like to play and how it sounds as opposed to just a normal ukulele or concert uke. and 2. does anyone have one they are trying to sell?

mahalo you beautiful ppl

ps i figured i would check here before continuing my search with online retailers.

some have tenor necks and some have concert necks so you have to check that out. the SK-35L sounds great and has a tenor neck so the strings are really tight giving it a loud sound that is almost banjolike. With a long tenor neck its not a small ukulele. Theres a couple anuenue ukes that have long necks too but I have never played them.

I play a super concert and I love it. (Concert with a tenor neck.)

I played the new 'aNueNue' long neck soprano.
I am not really a soprano guy, but this uke was amazing.
It is a soprano body with a concert neck. It comes in Mahogany & Koa with optional Fishman electronics.
Very reasonably priced for the quality.

UAS is pushing me to order Kiwaya Soprano Size, Concert Neck, model KSL2. You may want to do a search for KSL2 on this site and read posts about long neck sopranos... "OldePhart" has posted several times about the concert neck sopranos.

AS in my sig line, I have a longneck soprano pineapple (concert scale), a longneck soprano "standard shape, concert scale) & a Super Concert (tenor scale, concert body). I really prefer the concert scale rather than tenor. I think the smaller body retains the "brightness" of the soprano while giving me the finger-room on the neck. And, since I also have a "real" tenor, I'm covered in that area as well.

You can find many videos on Youtube of various long-neck ukes.

UAS is pushing me to order Kiwaya Soprano Size, Concert Neck, model KSL2. You may want to do a search for KSL2 on this site and read posts about long neck sopranos... "OldePhart" has posted several times about the concert neck sopranos.

I have a KTC-1, concert neck and body, and I really prefer this neck. has just enough room over the soprano neck to be really comfy. It sounds very much like the soprano, only louder, and just as light.I think the KSL-2 is a good choice. if you get one and don't like it,which I doubt, let me know, I might be interested. The KTC-2 would be my dream uke, well , one of them.

I'm a big fan of long neck ukes. I like the concert and tenor scales, but want to keep that ukulele sound quality. Often, a longer scale on a small body can make the uke louder than it's standard neck sibling. I like the compact quality that is maintained with the long neck version as well. More frets are handy to have too... I find 12 frets not enough. Glad to see more manufacturers making the long necks!
–Lori

I have the Ohana sk-30l, nice twangy soprano kind of sound. Lori above is right, lots of volume out of this little box. Well made, but I would be hesitant to put high tension tenor strings on that small bridge.
Currently strung with Worth CL light guage and sounds nice and very comfortable to play. Could be interested in a sale to help fund next Uke, but may keep it anyway. Worth every penny.
Good luck,
Stu

Yep, I'm a "true believer" in the longneck soprano. I'm much more comfortable with the longer scale of a concert and feel cramped on a soprano, but I like the sound of the soprano body. I have the aforementioned Kiwaya KSL2 and a KoAloha longneck soprano. Both are outstanding ukes. The KoAloha is a bit louder and richer-sounding than the Kiwaya, but the difference isn't as great as you might imagine. I bought the Kiwaya from MGM and it was set up "dangeorusly low" the way I like 'em. I'm not sure if he did that or if it came that way from the factory as it apparently had the factory "black line" strings on it. I detested those strings. I've since tried NylGuts (okay, liked 'em better on the Kiwaya than on most ukes I've tried them on) and my homebrew Worth CM equivalent (like 'em better than the NylGuts).

The KoAloha actually had a pretty high action at the bridge end but that just left plenty of "meat" so I could compensate the bridge saddle.

I currently have both ukes strung identically and they actually sound quite similar, so if you're on a budget the Kiwaya certainly deserves a look.

John

was i seeing things earlier or was there someone who said they might be interested in getting rid of one of their long neck ukes?

There's a beautiful Koaloha super concert with a crown bridge for sale now...

yeah i saw that. i would def have to sell a uke in order to get that one. it is really beautiful though but a lil out of my pricerange.

trying! i sold one. all i have left is a fender Pa'ina and the first uke i ever owned. its kinda hard because it has sentimental value. although its not worth much i play it WWAAAAAY more than my Pa'ina

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMP soprano scale is a little small for me to hold. getting used to it but i'd be interested in seeing what people have bump bump bump!

Top Bottom