PDA

View Full Version : East Cost Meeting Sep 13th at Kennedy Center, D.C. to see Jake Shimabukuro!!!

pwnoman
08-13-2008, 05:47 AM
All right guys, its time to come out of hiding and have one of our first east coast meetings! And what better way to have one than to see Jake Shimabukuro live? The Kennedy Center is having there 24th annual open house on Sep 13th (a Saturday). You can find all the information here http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/?fuseaction=showEvent&event=XIOPN, and the best part for cheapskates like me is its free!! I was hoping we could meet in front of the Kennedy Center at 12 seeing as that is when the doors open. It is not definative yet as to when Jake will be playing so bring those ukes (I'm not sure if the public wants to hear me play but...). Anyways I will be driving into D.C. from James Madison University in Harrisonburg VA. So I'll be coming up 81 and hopping onto 66 if anyone needs a ride:).

e10rice
08-13-2008, 07:09 AM
This sounds like a pretty cool thing to head to and you cant beat free!!!! I'll see if my friends wants to tag along to see him. I'll be coming up from Norfolk if i go so i'll let you know.

h-drix
08-13-2008, 12:23 PM
me madre says i can, but i have to check with my dad. If i do go ill be taking the metro down from the baltimore area.

the orcestra and the trash guy look like interesting sets as well.

RON<>VA
08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
At the moment Sept 13 looks good for me. I'll be coming up from Richmond. Let's shake the bushes and find more uke folks to meet us . . . and for goodness sakes, I hope some of you know how to play this darn little instrument fairly well. (I'll just fake it) We ought to think of a few songs (simple) that we can practice before we get there. Suggestions?

pwnoman
08-13-2008, 02:48 PM
At the moment Sept 13 looks good for me. I'll be coming up from Richmond. Let's shake the bushes and find more uke folks to meet us . . . and for goodness sakes, I hope some of you know how to play this darn little instrument fairly well. (I'll just fake it) We ought to think of a few songs (simple) that we can practice before we get there. Suggestions?

To tell you the truth I am kind of tired of playing Aldrine's lessons alone. To play Summer Breeze or Love Song with some other people would be pretty cool :D

dnewton2
08-13-2008, 04:04 PM
I will definatly be at the Jake show. I will most likely be able to come early to meet up with some fellow UUers. Or we could meet up after. Hopefully they will set up a schedule to let us know when Jake will be playing.

Be cool if we could get Deach to show up.

Tad where you at, GMU is not that far from the city.

RON<>VA
08-13-2008, 04:25 PM
I will definatly be at the Jake show. I will most likely be able to come early to meet up with some fellow UUers. Or we could meet up after. Hopefully they will set up a schedule to let us know when Jake will be playing.

Be cool if we could get Deach to show up.

Tad where you at, GMU is not that far from the city.

Think we can convince Deach to where his beautiful wig and ruby red lipstick? That will draw a crowd!

deach
08-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Who's Jake? :confused::confused:

pwnoman
08-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Who's Jake? :confused::confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo :)

deach
08-13-2008, 04:49 PM

hmmm, he's pretty good.

I wonder if he knows I'm Yours.

RON<>VA
08-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Jake's OK for a newbie. Thought we could get with him Sept. 13th and give him a few pointers.

deach
08-13-2008, 05:01 PM

Does anyone have tabs for this song?

RON<>VA
08-13-2008, 06:07 PM
I just spoke via email with David Means (Luthier from Annapolis) to spread the word re. 9/13 D.C. get-to-gether. He said they had just been talking about doing something on that day in Columbia, altho it was not firm. Would be great if we can somehow combine these events and all meet together. More to come. Developing.

haolejohn
08-13-2008, 06:09 PM
If I wasn't going to visit the wife in Florida I'd come up. Can't be anymore than a 10 hour drive but the wife is more important.

h-drix
08-14-2008, 03:05 AM
so i checked with my parents and its a yes. Ill be taking the metro down and getting off a the george washington university metro stop.

as for songs how about louie louie fun song, anyone can sing it.

e10rice
08-14-2008, 05:13 AM
Man im so far behind in learning music. I literally got my uke and two days later had to have my gallbladder removed and i didn't get that much time to just sit and learn some music. Guess i better get going on it so i dont make a fool of myself.

tad
08-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Just saw this post. I'll definitely be there.

I have no skillz whatsoever, but I'll probably bring a uke along for kicks. (But which one to bring...?) I'll probably also bring along a camera and/or video camera for documentary purposes...

Totally into the concept of putting together a list of a few songs we can all practice beforehand.

RON<>VA
08-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Just saw this post. I'll definitely be there.

I have no skillz whatsoever, but I'll probably bring a uke along for kicks. (But which one to bring...?) I'll probably also bring along a camera and/or video camera for documentary purposes...

Totally into the concept of putting together a list of a few songs we can all practice beforehand.

Tad, you can't know less than me but I am hoping to be there. We need to continue to spread the word. Would be really great to get a group of UU folks there. We can have some uke fun regardless of skill level.

tad
08-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Tad, you can't know less than me but I am hoping to be there. We need to continue to spread the word. Would be really great to get a group of UU folks there. We can have some uke fun regardless of skill level.

Which is why I bought an ukulele in the first place!
This is why I like UU vs. some of those ((*ahem*)) other uke forums.

e10rice
08-29-2008, 06:07 AM
any news on who might be there?

uke142464
09-01-2008, 07:53 AM
ill be there with meh mom, ill have UU on me somewhere, anyone who has a UU shirt wear it

Valerie
09-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Arg!!!!

I work that Sat. from 7 in the morning till 5 at night- and I live a little outside of Norfolk (in suffolk) so I think the drive would be... about 4 hours which puts me at arriving around 9ish.

Anyone know what time he actually performs??? (**please be after 9!!!**)

This may be something that I have to try and get off for.

uke142464
09-01-2008, 02:07 PM
yea i was also wondering when he performs

Valerie
09-01-2008, 02:10 PM
blarg.... Never mind-- I just looked at my work schedual and I'm working a full day Sunday too... So even if he plays late, I still can't go cause- well... It's a bit of a drive home.

Hope you guys have a blast, though!

Oh! and as to what time. I read the info on the link provided and it said that they would post the complete schedual closer to the date.

Since it's now september... Perhaps someone should be nominated to give the center a call to ask for specifics.

h-drix
09-01-2008, 03:49 PM
ill be wearing my UU shirt. crap i need to check my sceduale, im really bad at working myself days i dont want to work, i make my own schedule =(

pwnoman
09-02-2008, 07:16 AM
I'll be there from 11:20 on; I don't have a UU shirt unfortinuatly (I emailed and tryed to get one about a month ago but had no luck :(), but I will be carring my ukulele :music: I also just found out that the Kennedy Center just put up the hours Jake will be playing; 12:15-1 p.m. & 1:30-2:15 p.m.
Jake Shimabukuro (Hawaii), http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/festivals/prelude/openhouse.cfm I also found that "Tickets are required for performances in the Terrace Theater. Tickets will be passed out in front of the Terrace Theater 30 minutes prior to the start of each performance."

e10rice
09-02-2008, 09:22 AM
oh man this is great news. Thanks for the update.

h-drix
09-02-2008, 04:01 PM
ARGH im WORKING

im trying to get someone else to cover for me, but theres only 5 other people that work and two of them said no.

RON<>VA
09-02-2008, 05:18 PM
I'll be there from 11:20 on; I don't have a UU shirt unfortinuatly (I emailed and tryed to get one about a month ago but had no luck :(), but I will be carring my ukulele :music: I also just found out that the Kennedy Center just put up the hours Jake will be playing; 12:15-1 p.m. & 1:30-2:15 p.m.
Jake Shimabukuro (Hawaii), http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/festivals/prelude/openhouse.cfm I also found that "Tickets are required for performances in the Terrace Theater. Tickets will be passed out in front of the Terrace Theater 30 minutes prior to the start of each performance."

Thanks for getting this info together for us. I am probably going to make it and will be wearing my green U U shirt and will be bringing my uke. We will want to find out about parking availability and also is there going to be an issue carrying our ukes inside during the performace (security?) Hope we can have a decent number of uke folks attending.

e10rice
09-03-2008, 04:52 AM
I'll be there with my wife and hopefully my other uke playing friend. Still debating on weather to bring my uke though. I'm still not a good uke player and i'd hate to have to leave it in hot car for hours and we might also decied to do some site seeing so........yeah i'll see what my friend thinks and make my choice that morning. I looked up directions and then did some satilite images and it looks like there might be parking under the building.

dnewton2
09-03-2008, 05:06 AM
Parking in the city SUCKS! I am not sure about the parking under the building, but if it is there I would try and get there early to get a spot, since this is a open house with a lot of free activites/events happening all day. Also Expect to pay no less than $20 to park there.
As a suggestion park, for free, at a metro station outside the city and ride the metro to the show. If you want to do some site seeing after buy an all day pass for about 7 dollars, you can get pretty close to anything in the city you might want to see.

e10rice
09-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Parking in the city SUCKS! I am not sure about the parking under the building, but if it is there I would try and get there early to get a spot, since this is a open house with a lot of free activites/events happening all day. Also Expect to pay no less than $20 to park there.
As a suggestion park, for free, at a metro station outside the city and ride the metro to the show. If you want to do some site seeing after buy an all day pass for about 7 dollars, you can get pretty close to anything in the city you might want to see.

thats a good idea, i'll run it by my wife.

pwnoman
09-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Ok, so I called the Kennedy Center and the lady there told me that bringing in the ukuleles would be fine, but once we go into a theater, depending on the event, they might possibly make us coat check them. Where they store them in a room for us and give a number card to come and pick it up when the performance is over. So I will be bringing my ukulele:D, who know I might be able to get Jake to sign it, woot!

uke142464
09-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Ill Be There:d:d:d:d

geezer
09-05-2008, 07:24 AM
The Kennedy Center schedule has him at 8 pm.

dnewton2
09-05-2008, 08:00 AM
The Kennedy Center schedule has him at 8 pm.

The schedule I see has him at 12:15-1:00 and 1:30-2:15. I have not seen anything about him playing at 8pm.

e10rice
09-05-2008, 10:31 AM
i saw what dnewton2 saw.

h-drix
09-05-2008, 11:39 AM
same here, how long are all of you guys able to stay? ima going to hang for the dance party and leave around 10-10:30.

pwnoman
09-05-2008, 02:13 PM
same here, how long are all of you guys able to stay? ima going to hang for the dance party and leave around 10-10:30.

I'll probably stay for a good chunk of the day, but I got to head back to JMU before it gets too late. So I might leave around 6-7 o'clock

h-drix
09-06-2008, 12:01 PM
i can go, i was able to get a couple of people to cover my shift. Im not going to bring my uke just cause its been giving me tuning problems and seems to sound worse day to day.

tad
09-07-2008, 10:20 AM

Or you can just drive in to the residential area around Georgetown-- you can usually find free street parking there if you look around for a bit, and then walk on over... Especially in the morning, shouldn't be too too bad.

I'll be there, in a black UU shirt, and probably carrying a uke-- though I don't know which I'd want to bring.

sukie
09-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Sounds like a fun day. You guys might want to call Kennedy Center to confirm the times for Jake. You'd be pretty bummed if you missed him.

Is Deach going too?

deach
09-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Is Deach going too?

No, too many kid things going on.

h-drix
09-07-2008, 03:19 PM
bummer, next meet up hopefully you can make it.

e10rice
09-09-2008, 04:17 AM
whats the plan for us UU people meeting up? Time? And what about after the sets? Are you going to both just one? Need some help here, Got my brother and his wife to come and would hate to make them hang around with us uke players if they dont want to. Told them we would head to Ikea after the show. But i want to hang for a bit if you guys are meeting up after the show. And my friend who plays the uke is coming with his pops who is an old school player of the uke but in his words not a good teacher. just want to know what everyone else is thinking of doing.

pwnoman
09-09-2008, 06:28 AM
whats the plan for us UU people meeting up? Time? And what about after the sets? Are you going to both just one? Need some help here, Got my brother and his wife to come and would hate to make them hang around with us uke players if they dont want to. Told them we would head to Ikea after the show. But i want to hang for a bit if you guys are meeting up after the show. And my friend who plays the uke is coming with his pops who is an old school player of the uke but in his words not a good teacher. just want to know what everyone else is thinking of doing.

I think it would be cool if we were to meet up after the show. I'm not sure which of the 2 shows we would be meeting after, but either one is fine with me. I'm pretty sure the Kennedy Center has a large outdoor patio where we could actually play some uke. I'll be there for the first and/or the second show so just let me know whats easiest for you guys :).

h-drix
09-09-2008, 11:43 AM
i really want to see the NSO, which only plays once, and thats during the first jake set. So im going to go to the secound set.

uke142464
09-09-2008, 02:22 PM
im so super stoked!! HEHE:D:D jake is sooo awesome, imma get him to sign my uke

e10rice
09-10-2008, 02:48 AM
Well im leaving from my house in Norfolk at about 8:30 and should be up there by by 11:30 or so. So really either one would be fine.

RON<>VA
09-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Here is the schedule posted on the Kennedy Center web site for Jake tomorrow, Sat. the 13th.

Terrace Theater

(Tickets are required for performances in the Terrace Theater. Tickets will be passed out in front of the Terrace Theater 30 minutes prior to the start of each performance.)
12:15-1 p.m. & 1:30-2:15 p.m. Jake Shimabukuro (Hawaii) Recognized as one of the world's top ukulele musicians, Jake Shimabukuro plays jazz, blues, funk, classical, bluegrass, folk, flamenco, and rock. In his hands, that little four-stringed instrument has never sounded so big!

menehunenyc
09-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Wow guys, I sure missed out again. :( I won't be able to make it because I have to choose between our yearly block party (complete with a hootenany) or go to work (I thing I feel a cold coming on). Have fun every one. I will just have to be patient for when Jake gets closer to NYC. Brooklyn is getting hotter with each passing summer, so maybe he'll be playing at the Brooklyn Academy of Music one day.

pwnoman
09-13-2008, 01:58 PM
All and all the day at the Kennedy Center was great! Jake was no less than amazing, and we had a good turnout of UUers; we even made some new friends along the way. H-drix was there, Ron<>Va made it, Tad was there, and uku142464 was there as well. It was alot of fun to be able to put some faces to some of the screen names on the forums; even though I believe I disappointed h-drix because I'm not a huge bulky guy (sorry h-drix :().

I realized what a sad excuse of a ukulele player I was after this concert, while Jake was amazing no doubt, uke142464 showed us all a thing or two. I had never realized this before but he has mad skill! He impressed everyone with his rendition of Jake's version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, even Jake, the legend, himself. I got to hand it to you kid you have great talent :D.

I am sure Ron<>VA as well as others will put up plenty pictures and videos of the show; hopefully none of me pretending like I know how to play the ukelele (I would hate to have to put you guys through that :D).

RON<>VA
09-13-2008, 02:37 PM
All and all the day at the Kennedy Center was great! Jake was no less than amazing, and we had a good turnout of UUers; we even made some new friends along the way. H-drix was there, Ron<>Va made it, Tad was there, and uku142464 was there as well. It was alot of fun to be able to put some faces to some of the screen names on the forums; even though I believe I disappointed h-drix because I'm not a huge bulky guy (sorry h-drix :().

I realized what a sad excuse of a ukulele player I was after this concert, while Jake was amazing no doubt, uke142464 showed us all a thing or two. I had never realized this before but he has mad skill! He impressed everyone with his rendition of Jake's version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, even Jake, the legend, himself. I got to hand it to you kid you have great talent :D.

I am sure Ron<>VA as well as others will put up plenty pictures and videos of the show; hopefully none of me pretending like I know how to play the ukelele (I would hate to have to put you guys through that :D).

We had a great day in D.C. at the Kennedy Center. Jake was super. No surprise. And it was neat meeting some of our UU friends. I just got back to Richmond, so will give put up some pics and info later. By the way, we met a new friend -Vince - from Richmond and I see he has just joined UU. (VK18) Make sure you welcome Vince to our family. More to come . . .

RON<>VA
09-13-2008, 04:45 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=556&stc=1&d=1221359826

Tad - RonVa - h-drix - VK18 (new UU member) - uke142464 - Mark S. -pwnoman

RON<>VA
09-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Hey, you may be Mr. College Man but here's how you play the Ukulele!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=557&stc=1&d=1221360757

pwnoman and will (uku142464)

RON<>VA
09-13-2008, 05:08 PM
h-drix trying out RonVa's Lanakai ukulele (note freshly signed signature on my uku by Jake S.)

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=558&stc=1&d=1221361619

RON<>VA
09-13-2008, 05:14 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=559&stc=1&d=1221362009

deach
09-13-2008, 05:17 PM
It's cool to put faces to names finally. It's also cool seeing the Watergate Hotel and Georgetown in the background.

So fess up. Which one of you played I'm Yours?

RON<>VA
09-13-2008, 05:21 PM
It's cool to put faces to names finally. It's also cool seeing the Watergate Hotel and Georgetown in the background.

So fess up. Which one of you played I'm Yours?

We missed you deach! I will fess up. I played "I'm Almost Yours, But Not Yet."

deach
09-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Playlist? Jake's not the Mid-Atlantic UU Dudes'.

RON<>VA
09-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Vince (VK18) is one of our newest U U members. We met him and his dad today at the Kennedy Center. We did a little U U evangelism on him and as soon as he got back to Richmond, signed up and joined our family. Nice to have another ukulele fan here in Richmond.

h-drix
09-13-2008, 05:54 PM
its 12 now,and i just got back. I had a great time. All the shows i saw were great, jake really beat them all though. I think it was VK who put it best, when he said that watching him online is nothing like seeing him live. He looks so much faster and smoother. It realy was great.

The UU meet up was really cool, but short =(

I disappointed h-drix because I'm not a huge bulky guy (sorry h-drix )

lol, its all good. it was very cool to meet everyone. Maybe next time we can have a liitle playlist set up, instead of random almost-jamming. =p

menehunenyc
09-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Right on!! The Best/East Coast finally represents UU!!! Wish I coulda been there, but I already had plans and it would have been a 8 hour haul, each way.
Now all you guys have to join the UU group for the East Coast so we can make arrangements to have more frequent meet ups.:rock::nana:

rayan
09-14-2008, 09:12 AM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=556&stc=1&d=1221359826

Tad - RonVa - h-drix - VK18 (new UU member) - uke142464 - ? -pwnoman

You guys made my day by posting this pic. Thank you guys so much for repping the UU. You did us proud!

seeso
09-14-2008, 09:21 AM
You guys are awesome. UU baby!

We missed you deach! I will fess up. I played "I'm Almost Yours, But Not Yet."

LOL! :D

geezer
09-14-2008, 12:04 PM
I couldn't take photos of his performance, but I managed to squeeze through the crowd of adoring fans afterwards to get some shots. Jake seemed to really enjoy meeting his fans, who were even more excited to meet him.

It was a thrill for my family to see him in person. His performance was only 45 minutes and we could have stayed for hours.

Here is the photo album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/badgett/JakeAtKennedyCenter13Sept08#

e10rice
09-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Man it was a great show. I made it the second show and actually saw most of you. I was hanging with my group of people and right after the show i picked up one of his cd's and had him sign it. My group wanted to go grab a bit to eat and i never actually made it back to the Kannedy center. Kinda mad i missed out meeting you all and not being in that sweet group photo. I was actually standing in line behind H-Drix. Maybe you guys saw me....the big tan guy with the white nautica shirt on....maybe you didn't. But really a great time and the people i brought all had a blast at the show. We should really hold east coast meetings.

RON<>VA
09-14-2008, 02:19 PM
I couldn't take photos of his performance, but I managed to squeeze through the crowd of adoring fans afterwards to get some shots. Jake seemed to really enjoy meeting his fans, who were even more excited to meet him.

It was a thrill for my family to see him in person. His performance was only 45 minutes and we could have stayed for hours.

Here is the photo album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/badgett/JakeAtKennedyCenter13Sept08#

geezer: thanks for sharing your pics with us. It was a a fun day. Do me a favor. On photo #10 with the crowd, on the very left of the picture you have this old guy walking with his back to you...the one with the green shirt and khaki pants carrying a uke on his back...you really need to crop him out of the picture. He looks dangerous to me and he might scare some of the U U folks viewing your pictures. Just sayin . . .OK, yea, it's me.