East Cost Meeting Sep 13th at Kennedy Center, D.C. to see Jake Shimabukuro!!!

pwnoman

Reaction score
East Coast Meeting Sep 13th at Kennedy Center, D.C. to see Jake Shimabukuro!!!

All right guys, its time to come out of hiding and have one of our first east coast meetings! And what better way to have one than to see Jake Shimabukuro live? The Kennedy Center is having there 24th annual open house on Sep 13th (a Saturday). You can find all the information here http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/?fuseaction=showEvent&event=XIOPN, and the best part for cheapskates like me is its free!! I was hoping we could meet in front of the Kennedy Center at 12 seeing as that is when the doors open. It is not definative yet as to when Jake will be playing so bring those ukes (I'm not sure if the public wants to hear me play but...). Anyways I will be driving into D.C. from James Madison University in Harrisonburg VA. So I'll be coming up 81 and hopping onto 66 if anyone needs a ride:).

Last edited:
This sounds like a pretty cool thing to head to and you cant beat free!!!! I'll see if my friends wants to tag along to see him. I'll be coming up from Norfolk if i go so i'll let you know.

me madre says i can, but i have to check with my dad. If i do go ill be taking the metro down from the baltimore area.

the orcestra and the trash guy look like interesting sets as well.

At the moment Sept 13 looks good for me. I'll be coming up from Richmond. Let's shake the bushes and find more uke folks to meet us . . . and for goodness sakes, I hope some of you know how to play this darn little instrument fairly well. (I'll just fake it) We ought to think of a few songs (simple) that we can practice before we get there. Suggestions?

At the moment Sept 13 looks good for me. I'll be coming up from Richmond. Let's shake the bushes and find more uke folks to meet us . . . and for goodness sakes, I hope some of you know how to play this darn little instrument fairly well. (I'll just fake it) We ought to think of a few songs (simple) that we can practice before we get there. Suggestions?

To tell you the truth I am kind of tired of playing Aldrine's lessons alone. To play Summer Breeze or Love Song with some other people would be pretty cool :D

I will definatly be at the Jake show. I will most likely be able to come early to meet up with some fellow UUers. Or we could meet up after. Hopefully they will set up a schedule to let us know when Jake will be playing.

Be cool if we could get Deach to show up.

Tad where you at, GMU is not that far from the city.

I will definatly be at the Jake show. I will most likely be able to come early to meet up with some fellow UUers. Or we could meet up after. Hopefully they will set up a schedule to let us know when Jake will be playing.

Be cool if we could get Deach to show up.

Tad where you at, GMU is not that far from the city.

Think we can convince Deach to where his beautiful wig and ruby red lipstick? That will draw a crowd!

David Means

I just spoke via email with David Means (Luthier from Annapolis) to spread the word re. 9/13 D.C. get-to-gether. He said they had just been talking about doing something on that day in Columbia, altho it was not firm. Would be great if we can somehow combine these events and all meet together. More to come. Developing.

so i checked with my parents and its a yes. Ill be taking the metro down and getting off a the george washington university metro stop.

as for songs how about louie louie fun song, anyone can sing it.

Man im so far behind in learning music. I literally got my uke and two days later had to have my gallbladder removed and i didn't get that much time to just sit and learn some music. Guess i better get going on it so i dont make a fool of myself.

Just saw this post. I'll definitely be there.

I have no skillz whatsoever, but I'll probably bring a uke along for kicks. (But which one to bring...?) I'll probably also bring along a camera and/or video camera for documentary purposes...

Totally into the concept of putting together a list of a few songs we can all practice beforehand.

Last edited:
Just saw this post. I'll definitely be there.

I have no skillz whatsoever, but I'll probably bring a uke along for kicks. (But which one to bring...?) I'll probably also bring along a camera and/or video camera for documentary purposes...

Totally into the concept of putting together a list of a few songs we can all practice beforehand.

Tad, you can't know less than me but I am hoping to be there. We need to continue to spread the word. Would be really great to get a group of UU folks there. We can have some uke fun regardless of skill level.

Tad, you can't know less than me but I am hoping to be there. We need to continue to spread the word. Would be really great to get a group of UU folks there. We can have some uke fun regardless of skill level.

Which is why I bought an ukulele in the first place!
This is why I like UU vs. some of those ((*ahem*)) other uke forums.

Top Bottom