New (to me) Uke Day!

Dige

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just had to share my excitement at finding a gem over here in South Korea. I had owned a beautiful Ko'olau KC that has been with me since the early uking days and continues to open up and steal my heart in addition to my Kala travel concert that goes with me on camping trips and boat outings. My fiancee has a great Pono MCE that I have been playing around with on the amp, and decided I needed to round out my collection a bit more.

I had originally planned on purchasing a Koaloha longneck soprano and then having a Mi-Si pickup installed in my Ko'olau, but for less money I happened upon a GString C1Sun concert for 650 USD! Having read the tales from intonation purgatory, I brought a couple tuners and spent a good 20 minutes checking intonation up and down the neck, and it was absolutely perfect. The owner wasn't a uke player, and had received the uke as part of a business deal, thinking he'd pick it up one day.

The uke is in absolutely perfect condition, and I was especially happy that it was an earlier model Sun, so it had Gotoh friction tuners, rather than the new geared Grovers they are (were) using. I'm a bit of purist when it comes to the standards and concerts having ears :)

The kicker to this whole deal was that the uke had already had a nice pickup installed at the shop, so I covered all my desires (for now) and got a gorgeous piece of artwork that sounds light, bright, and amazing in the process. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I grab some time, but had to share my great find with those that can appreciate!

Dige

Congratulations on the new uke. Isn't it great when you get a pleasant surprise on a used uke, like a pickup!

Enjoy. G-string certainly made some nice ukes.

nice one .....enjoy!!!

Sounds like a great deal! Happy New Uke Day! I look forward to pictures :D Enjoy your new :music:

YES! I recently located what I thought to be one of the last available G-String C1 Sun ukuleles. I purchased it immediately.

It is a great uke, no intonation problems, and is probably the best 'Feeling' uke I own!

Please post pix of yours, mine has the geared tuners. They are beautiful and sound wonderful!
Cheers,
Skottoman

Finally got a few pics up. The koa on my Ko'olau is a bit prettier and livelier, really, but I'm pretty darn happy with this little beauty!

Dige

Attachments

• IMG_3381.jpg
    IMG_3381.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3388.jpg
    IMG_3388.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3387.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3379.jpg
    IMG_3379.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 19
And a few pics of my Ko'olau...

Attachments

• IMG_3336_1.jpg
    IMG_3336_1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3338_1.jpg
    IMG_3338_1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3342_1.jpg
    IMG_3342_1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3337_1.jpg
    IMG_3337_1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 8
That G-String looks really great!!!!!! The peg tuners give it a different look than mine. The wood is darker and has more grain patterns than mine also. But these are such beautiful ukes, and really sound and feel great when playing! Also, since these are no longer made, they are a nice little collector uke to have around as well!!! CONGRATS!

Here's a reference pic of mine to show the different tuners and wood for others to see.

Cheers,
Skottoman

gstring4.jpg

Beautiful! I agree with you that a huge pull for this particular uke was the collector's piece appeal. What do you have yours strung up with? I have some worth clears on mine now, but have oddly enough (as most on this forum seem to like them) have never really been a fan. They just don't feel as clean when I'm picking (maybe the smaller diameter). I love the rounded tone and fantastic sustain on these beauties, though, which I'm sure is the case no matter which strings you adorn them with.

Dige

Mine came with some black Hilo's, and I changed them to Worth Clears. I really like the strings. I have them on my KoAloha's as well. The "Sun" has much more sustain with the Worths.

Yes, I think years from now we will both be happy that we have a "GString C1 Sun!"

Cheers,
Skottoman

Top Bottom