Who Said Flukes Said Flukes....Sound bad

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
Who Said Flukes ...Sound bad

I used to own a tenor fluke over 3 three years ago...didn't like it and
gave it to cousin...I just bought another one for the challenge......
It took me 3-5 minuetes to adjust and drop the tuning and she sings
now..found the sweet spot on the Aquilas... I am a fluke believer now..
Well maybe knowledge and experienced gained within the years have
made a huge difference too.... Whoo woo....MM Stan

Last edited:
Maybe you had a fluke Fluke. Glad to hear you've got a singing Fluke now.

That reminds me to visit my local Flukes and Fleas dealer soon for a friendly strum... the joy of UBS (ukulele browsing syndrome).

I love my fluke concert mango. Great all arounder.

New to this...what is a fluke? And a flea?

Fluke
fmmf114-lg.jpg
Flea
MANGO%20FLEA.jpg

You can find them here.

I got a fluke that have had several persons "wow" after hearing it.

It was that damned set of Wound strings from Guadalupe Custom Strings.

For a while there, I couldn't take the uke out of my hands. I thought Flukes were ok before but put the right stings on and POW!

I'm also a big fan of Fleas and Flukes. I don't own one currently, but I did have a nice Concert Flea with electronics.
I (reluctantly) sold it last year to get something else, but I can definitely see myself owning one again in future.

It took me 3-5 minuetes to adjust and drop the tuning and she sings
now..found the sweet spot on the Aquilas...

Curious... how far did you drop? 1 or 2 steps?

I just put some Worth Browns on mine and sounds pretty good, but "singing" would be awesome.

Yeah, I love my Fluke, too! I bought a lot of ukes in the 6 years I've been playing, but Flukes sound the best so far. It is my penultimate uke until I take my dream trip to Hawaii and buy a custom uke.

I notice that on the John King book The Classical Ukulele, he is recording with a Fluke with Aquila Nylgut, and I think it was tuned C. On the Famous Solos and Duets he is tuned to D on the recording, but they don't mention what ukulele he is using there.

–Lori

Someday I hope to get my hands on a koa top concert (do they do concert?) or
tenor Fluke. Will remember those Guadalupes.

Someday I hope to get my hands on a koa top concert (do they do concert?) or
tenor Fluke. Will remember those Guadalupes.
It takes a while to get the strings because they make the strings to order; but, worth the wait. I estimate it took 4-6 weeks after my order to receive the strings. I'm ready to order more.

Which reminds me I put some of those on some fleas. Time to see if they sound good and settled in.

Hey all, its 2 am in Thailand. I've just spent 30 minutes with 2 Fleas that I had previously discounted as display only ukes. These are the 2 DanZanes ukes that I put on the multicolored wound Guadalupes onto a soprano fleas. Reentrant tuning. Let me also state I had bought 2 more fleas and gave them to family and wanted to apologize to them because I'd summarize all my Flea experience (bought 4) as "disappointing".

Not now. The new strings make those 2 DanZane Fleas I have sound fun and lively. All the way up to the 12th fret. It seems past the 12th fret, the sound deadens for some reason; but it rings out on the other frets. Loud. Much louder than previous strings I've put on all the Fleas in efforts to revive any sound from them.

My impression of my 2 fleas is they are fun, loud and lively with their reentrant tuning and wound strings. 2 Fleas revived!!! I am curious now to try and see if I can find a sweet spot like mm stan does.

Aloha Bill with my Aqula strings, I have mine set as....F#-50, A+50, D+30, G#-50/G+50 ...hope it helps....

I do not understand this. Does "F#-50" mean F# on a chromatic tuner flattened by 50 cents?...etc.

Top Bottom