Six string bass anyone?

ichadwick

Reaction score
Was perusing YouTube and found an interesting video on the advantages of six string bass over five and four strings. Mostly in the additional octaves and chords. So I found an Ibanez on Kijiji and am negotiating.

Anyone here play a six string? Any advice or recommendations when buying?

I do not play a six string, but I was looking in to them a while back when I spotted an Ibanez six string in an amazing teal color on Craigslist. While you do get mroe strings(Higher notes) The fret board is so wide. If you like really wide necks, then go ahead. I have small hands, so it's not an option for me.

Yes, it is. I'm not sure if my hand can even fit around the back of that neck >.<

Here is my bass, just to show.
gsr200fmtrb-fd7fd2ef33c8836f81c1328e639e62e9.jpg

Nice bass. My current is a four-string Epiphone viola bass, which I like a lot, but here's what I'm looking at getting:
DV016_Jpg_Large_501620.001_black.jpg

I'd love to have it as a short scale... but it seems no one makes a short-scale 6-string. Tone, two volume controls and an EQ control.
I am curious to learn its uses. Tuning? Probably BEADGB but I might get EADGBE strings and eschew the lower tones for more conventional chording.

Got it yesterday, a Kijiji sale from southwestern Ontario. A friend was coming up for the weekend and he picked it up for me.

I'm not sure how to describe it, except it's big. Really big. Makes my baritone ukes feel like a soprano in comparison. Got a neck you could land a Piper Cub on. But it has potential... just have to find the comfort zone for playing this monster.My meagre bass skills are stretched to their maximum with this instrument, and it will take a lot of practice to even become mediocre on it. Ah well, I love a challenge.

Thanks. It's a bit daunting - my first evening I kept hitting the B string instead of the E, and found the constant fourth relationship awkward on the second string (I wanted to play it like a guitar). Practice. Remember the mantra: Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice.
Susan rolls her eyes. Must keep in mind the headphone jack...

Top Bottom