What kind of strap for a Makala Dolphin?

SunnyUke

Reaction score
My dolphin is coming tomorrow (yay!), and I'm pretty sure I will need a strap because I'm on this kick where I stand all the time instead of sitting. I don't want to drop it before I get used to how to hold it standing, so is uke leash the best strap to invest in? I'm guessing the dolphins don't have a knob on the bottom to hook any other straps to, and I'm probably not going to perform surgery on my first and brand new uke lol. Thanks for the input. :D

Go with the Uke Leash. I have one for each of my Ukes including a Dolphin and they work great. Lori's customer service is top notch.

Is there a music shop nearby that can install a strap button for you? I've had them installed on all of my ukes. I find that mandolin straps work best for me. A lot of people like the Uke Leash; I didn't care for it because I did not like how it felt tethered to my body, and it doesn't prevent you from dropping the uke.

Is there a music shop nearby that can install a strap button for you? I've had them installed on all of my ukes. I find that mandolin straps work best for me. A lot of people like the Uke Leash; I didn't care for it because I did not like how it felt tethered to my body, and it doesn't prevent you from dropping the uke.

Well I have a few shops around but none sounded like they knew much about ukes when I called. That's why I ended up ordering from ukerepublic.

Does the strap slide off the opposite arm easily? Is that why you can drop it? Thanks!

Last edited:
Well I have a few shops around but none sounded like they knew much about ukes when I called. That's why I ended up ordering from ukerepublic.

Does the strap slide off the opposite arm easily? Is that why you can drop it? Thanks!

Not that I know of - I only tried the uke leash out briefly though, but I don't think it slides off. But unlike a strap attached to a strap button, you still need to hold the uke at all times since the strap is only attached to it at the neck. Hope that makes sense :)

I use the uke leash on my ukes. Usually I attach it to my belt loop and then it hangs over my opposite shoulder. I can let loose and it just dangles in front of me. I also have it attached on one uke with a button and it works like a regular full strap (but thinner). I've also got 2 Makala dolphins coming next week for the 5 yr old granddaughters' birthdays. I want to use a full strap for them cause they won't tolerate having something attached to either their clothing or them. Lori had suggested I try the leash attached at the top and around the sound hole on the dolphin and then they can wear tem as a necklace. No putting the arm thrugh the strap, etc. I only play pineapples but my husband has normal shaped tenors that I tried it on and it seems like that will work well. I'm waiting to see the dolphins before I decide on a strap color. One of the girls (cousins) is into rainbows. I ordered a purple and a pink uke. I also want to put some better black strings on them. I'll try them out first just in case the strings feel okay (I doubt that they will).

Thank you! I'll bet they will be so cute playing! I think I would definitely go for a more normal strap if a child was involved. Especially since their shoulders are so tiny haha.

A music shop with people who work on guitars and who may have expertise in installing strap buttons on guitars should be able to install a strap button on an ukulele. I've had strap buttons installed by a guitar repair shop.

A music shop with people who work on guitars and who may have expertise in installing strap buttons on guitars should be able to install a strap button on an ukulele. I've had strap buttons installed by a guitar repair shop.

That's true! Didn't think of that...about how much does that run? Thanks!

I've got a guy that I am working with to make straps. We have come up with a design utilizing a skill he has in knots, and braiding type of thing. I do not want to step on the uke-leash because she makes an awesome product and a very much needed one, so we have been working on a design that will not compete with what she offers, but to co-exsist with her product to offer a different type of thing. Personally, I love the uke-leash, and wanted to work on a design that people would like to have and use both options. Basically the same market, but in different ways in order not to step on someone else's contribution. I will be unvieling this new design very soon, as soon as this next week. I think you guys will like what we are doing with it. It can be worn by someone my size comfortably, to someone puny as little as my daughter. Cool stuff...

I got one on Etsy from Uke Star Here is the picture of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9161128@N03/5860781359

Sorry for the link, I can't figure out how to insert an actual picture yet.

I like the fact that it is cotton fabric and that there are different sizes of strap available. This is the adult.

I may eventually put a button and and mandolin strap on my Mainland but this should work for now.

(BTW - No affiliation to Uke Star)

I got one on Etsy from Uke Star Here is the picture of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9161128@N03/5860781359

Sorry for the link, I can't figure out how to insert an actual picture yet.

I like the fact that it is cotton fabric and that there are different sizes of strap available. This is the adult.

I may eventually put a button and and mandolin strap on my Mainland but this should work for now.

(BTW - No affiliation to Uke Star)

A lot of people really like those ukulele straps with soundhole hooks, including Jake Shimabukuro, who began using one not long ago. I'm a little squeamish about putting a hook in an ukulele's sound hole, and you still have to hold onto the ukulele, which can still fall off the hook if you let go of the ukulele. I was also squeamish about having a hole drilled into my ukulele, but it seemed to me like the lesser of two evils. Just a personal preference, and not a disparagement of these uke straps.

Top Bottom