Wikofonia - free lead sheets!

23skidoo

Reaction score
I also frequent a jazz guitar forum and someone posted this link there:

http://www.wikifonia.org/

Just hit the 'lead sheets' tab at the top. Gives you the melody and chord changes - but no tab, just regular notation. Mostly jazz, but all kinds of stuff. Looks like you have to register for a free account to print, but seems pretty low key. Pretty remarkable resource, appears to me....

And they claim it's legal, even more amazing!
Not exactly. I saw quite a bit of copyrighted stuff there.

Their terms are just a way of covering their behinds in the event any copyright holders complain.

The Wikifonia website, its services and data via the services may only be used and are only accessible for lawful purposes. The user will not breach any author rights or any other intellectual property, or any police or mandatory regulation and shall at any event bear entire and severe responsibility for acts, data or cooperation, whether aware or not that may infringe any third party rights. The user therefore solemnly declares and warrants the content of the website. Wikifonia may at any moment by law and without notice, suspend access, deny up- or downloading, erase, block or censor any data, lyrics or sheet music. Wikifonia may always remove at its discretion any content which is considered unlawful, offensive, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene, impropriate, or otherwise objectionable.

All data under the format of lyrics and/or sheet music are freely accessible, can be freely downloaded and copied for non-profit purposes, education, private and public use. The lyrics and/or sheet music are not available for commercial exploitation, distribution or sale. Downloading of data, lyrics or sheet music does not allow the user any title of property or ownership. The user will only have a limited right of use always in accordance with the author rights and in accordance with the spirit of the author.

Wikifonia is engaged to offer authorized lyrics and sheet music but will not be liable for unauthorized data unless duly notified and evidenced.

yeah, I didn't comment on the legality intentionally..... the changes can't be copyrighted but all those melodies sure can. I go back and forth on copyright infringement, but lately it's been all.....

Pirate_Monkey.jpg

This is what I was referring to when I said they claimed it is legal.

Wikifonia is legally entitled to copy, offer and distribute author protected sheet music. Wikifonia indeed holds a licence to offer the sheet music on its website. The website users may therefore freely and legally, with respect of the terms and conditions, download sheet music for private use only. Private use shall be construed as personal use. It is the website user prohibited to sell, trade or distribute the sheet music downloaded from Wikifonia. Private use does not exclude professional use. The website user may download the music sheets for professional purposes but not to trade or sell the music sheets. Therefore professional musicians are of course invited to down- and upload sheet music as much and many times as they please. They are not entitled to sell the sheet music, which is indeed freely available.

Top Bottom