Yewkulele's dark secret..

She's lovely!

Aloha Pete,
I love the way you play......oh, the uke is lovely also...............................BO.........................

Yew rock Pete. Sounds great as always and I love the colors in the woods.

Aloha Pete,
Always love your videos...what a nice uke and playing..thanks for sharing....Happy Strummings...MM Stan
Is your dark secret the you play the uke real good??? hmmmmm:)

Yew wood. As I recall, Englishmen have also used the wood for Longbows. Very nice indeed.

Yep, that's the wood... however it is used extensively in furniture making. It's very tricksy to work with spiral grain, shakes, bark inclusions... you name the defect it has it. Working this stuff starts with the selection.

Absolutely beautiful,i'm looking into getting a Yew Soprano made for me at the moment(i've used Yew to make bows but a ukulele is way beyond my skills!).

that is sweet Pete, would love a tenor size uke like that

Yew's secret is that, although it is a very hard wood, it is, in actual fact, a softwood with all the properties that you get in spruce and cedar tonewoods. From my point of view it combines well with walnut as a soundboard. And yes, Laburnum makes excellent fretboards and bridges. :)

Just fantastic! Great job and playing.

Need to find out if Pacific Yew is workable for a uke - found a local source. Haven't looked at any of it, so it may not even be appropriate.

I think you will find that it is.... as the sap is usually cream colored and very stable make sure if you are bookmatching you chose some sap for the back - it looks super cool.

WulfYewkulele.jpg

My local supplier has English Yew on for $32 BF. Might be worth a try when there's less likelihood I'll turn it into kindling.

The pacific yew I need to investigate is $6.50/bf. Not sure if it's any good for instrument building at all - may be completely flatsawn and full of flaws for all I know...but I still intend to check it out.

Top Bottom